Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Change in subtitle display?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. Did XBMC recently change the way it displays subtitles? I'm pretty sure that the beta2 did only display text subtitles, while the RC1 and RC2 displays subtitles in graphics / special font.
The problem here is that some MKV files have subtitles in a strange font that may sometimes be unreadable on the screen. And I think that earlier XBMC displayed these subtitles using the standard font, which is the way I want it to be. However, now XBMC displays subtitles using the special font, and this means some subtitles are unreadable on the screen.
Would it be possible to override the special subtitle font with the standard font set in XBMC? This way you could display all subtitles using the same font, no matter what local font are in the mkv files...
regards, Artur
ameinild Wrote:Hi. Did XBMC recently change the way it displays subtitles? I'm pretty sure that the beta2 did only display text subtitles, while the RC1 and RC2 displays subtitles in graphics / special font.
The problem here is that some MKV files have subtitles in a strange font that may sometimes be unreadable on the screen. And I think that earlier XBMC displayed these subtitles using the standard font, which is the way I want it to be. However, now XBMC displays subtitles using the special font, and this means some subtitles are unreadable on the screen.
Would it be possible to override the special subtitle font with the standard font set in XBMC? This way you could display all subtitles using the same font, no matter what local font are in the mkv files...
regards, Artur

Interesting! I will try this tonight & I'll let you know if I run into the same issue.

Cheers,
EG.
The problem is, only very specific releases use "custom font" subtitles... However, it can be a problem in a few cases...
I tried couple of my anime mkv's & subs seems to display just fine. You might want to upload part of the video where it can show the problem so Devs can look in to it if its a real bug. a debug log might be helpful to them as well.

Cheers,
EG.
ameinild Wrote:Hi. Did XBMC recently change the way it displays subtitles? I'm pretty sure that the beta2 did only display text subtitles, while the RC1 and RC2 displays subtitles in graphics / special font.
regards, Artur

i can confirm this and couldn't find a way to replace the font with the "old" standard-font. if i knew how to cut videos, then i'd upload a test-sample Sad
Here's an example of a movie that has this problem...

So a simple overrule of the subtitle font would be the solution.
What format are your subs - .srt, .ass, .sup Huh?
It's subs embedded in MKV files - I know no more than that...
There are no problems with .srt or .sub files that I have encountered - only subs within MKV.