Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Moving my file server to Linux...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm switching my file server from Windows to Linux for obvious reasons. One thing I need however is a backend for my HTPC. Currently I'm running [url=http://mediacentermaster.com]Media Center Master[url] to organize my videos and download new episodes. Will XBMC be able to fill this void for my linux transition and if so what will I need to do configuration wise/addons? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hi naviathan, I'm a tad confused as to what you're asking. Do you intend on using XBMC as a backend, or a frontend? XBMC is typically used as a front end.

Is your file server a separate machine to your HTPC?
Automatic downloading can be done with sickbeard, couchpotato, sabnzbd and transmission. You can manage your media with one of the different media managers but most of these (all?) are for windows so you will need to run those on a different system.
Hiram Wrote:Hi naviathan, I'm a tad confused as to what you're asking. Do you intend on using XBMC as a backend, or a frontend? XBMC is typically used as a front end.

Is your file server a separate machine to your HTPC?
Hi Hiram! Yes my file server is separate from my HTPC. I have a SFF Atom 330 based machine running Win 7 Media Center in my living room connected to a projector. I need something to use as a backend on my (soon to be Linux) file server to accomplish the tasks that Media Center Master is currently taking care of.

bassieman Wrote:Automatic downloading can be done with sickbeard, couchpotato, sabnzbd and transmission. You can manage your media with one of the different media managers but most of these (all?) are for windows so you will need to run those on a different system.
Thanks, bassieman. I'll look into those programs, but I'm little disappointed that there are no media managers for Linux. I would have thought XBMC would have something like this built in.
naviathan Wrote:I would have thought XBMC would have something like this built in.

It does. I use a linux server and never have any issues, all of the info is scraped automatically by XBMC. If you'd like it automated you can send a wake on lan packet to your XBMC machine during the night and force a library update.
Mindzai Wrote:It does. I use a linux server and never have any issues, all of the info is scraped automatically by XBMC.

Does XBMC take care of the renaming and organizing of the files? MCM monitors a "completed" directory for files. Once the file is dropped in the completed directory it tries to identify the file as a TV show or movie then moves it to the appropriate folder, creates a subfolder named according to the title and in the case of a series will create another subfolder named for the season then it names the file according to series title, episode title, season number, episode number. Example:
Chuck - Chuck vs The Ring S02E22.mkv
Obviously MCM is well polished and written to handle a lot of tasks at once, Peter has put a lot of time into it. Even if I have to go to multiple programs in Linux to accomplish the same task I still think the switch to a Linux file server is more than worth it.
naviathan Wrote:Does XBMC take care of the renaming and organizing of the files? MCM monitors a "completed" directory for files. Once the file is dropped in the completed directory it tries to identify the file as a TV show or movie then moves it to the appropriate folder, creates a subfolder named according to the title and in the case of a series will create another subfolder named for the season then it names the file according to series title, episode title, season number, episode number. Example:
Chuck - Chuck vs The Ring S02E22.mkv
Obviously MCM is well polished and written to handle a lot of tasks at once, Peter has put a lot of time into it. Even if I have to go to multiple programs in Linux to accomplish the same task I still think the switch to a Linux file server is more than worth it.

XBMC doesn't rename files, but if you need that to happen automatically I believe the software mentioned before such as sickbeard will do it. Otherwise one of the good things about linux is how easy it is to script Smile I personally don't bother unrar'ing or renaming etc, using Library mode XBMC displays and plays everything just fine.
Thanks, I'll read up on SickBeard and hopefully it will fit the bill.
Ok after messing around with SickBeard a bit in windows, I have no idea how this is suppose to retrieve episodes? I'm use to torrent downloads and I have no idea what an NZB is or how it works. I assume from reading that NZB is some sort of news feed reader that searches for episode releases, but I don't see how that assists in grabbing a download of the episode?