Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Options for Living Room
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm wanting an XBMC device for my living room. I've looked at everything from an htpc to an apple tv.

I cant afford to buy an Acer Revo, or anything like that. I'm only willing to spend around 100-150 dollars.

I actually have a pretty good computer in my living room, but my family needs to use it. I was thinking I could setup dual monitors on that but it would take work.
I would have to buy a video card that supports it. Currently it only has onboard.

Has anyone else done it that way, or is there an even easier way for me to do it?
having 2 separate monitors with different resolutions is not an issue. My desktop has one 1920x1080 and a 1280x1024 and it works without a problem. You could always buy a long hdmi cable and try it out to see what you think. Then if the family likes it you can maybe budget a little more for a separate dedicated rig. You just have to give them a taste and they will be hooked.
what video card would you recommend? just something that supports 1 PCI for the normal monitor, and 1 HDMI for the television is all i would need. 1080p output too.
It depends on what OS you plan on using.
kirota Wrote:what video card would you recommend? just something that supports 1 PCI for the normal monitor, and 1 HDMI for the television is all i would need. 1080p output too.

Honestly a GT210 can do that:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814127454
I had tried to run a dual-monitor setup a couple years back. Getting it setup wasn't too bad, but actually using it didn't work well for us if we tried to use both displays concurrently (like watching a movie while someone did general computer stuff at the desk). Performance wasn't atrocious, it was more screen control and that type of issue. My setup was a quad core Q6600 cpu and a 512MB 8800GT GPU.

I ended up taking home an old P4 from work, adding a video card and using that as the dedicated xbmc machine. You can find P4's on kijiji / craigslist or at local computer shops for $100-150, then just grab a cheap nvidia video card. Or you could pick up the video card first, see if adding xbmc on a secondary display will work for you, and only buy the rest of the P4 if it doesn't. There's a good chance that the issues I had have been resolved in 2 years worth of progress. Smile