Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV] Why did Apple TV modding become difficult? Whats a non-geek to do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK, I used to have my ATV running XBMC and Boxee with NitoTV installed for USB drive support, it worked without issue, I could pull music and movies from my external drive and life was good.
Then, I found that I did not use it enough to leave it powered up all the time so I restored it and tried to sell it off with no luck...fast forward about a year and I get it out of the box tonight to build a garage system and find that after I build a new patch stick and going through the steps to get XBMC working that I no longer have the option to load any other tools via a handy on-screen menu?
Why oh why would the powers that be make it even more difficult to load things like NitoTV on my ATV? I google it and find that I need to take a class on SSH and remote log-in etc..
Well, I tried to SSH and guess what, no luck. I am really let down with the fact that instead of it getting easier to use this thing it has gotten way way harder to install anything on, why?
How was it a slam dunk to make the patch stick and install everything with the remote last year and now you need a masters in Geek to put anything on this thing?

I really dont want to need my itunes for my music, I just want to use an external drive connected to this thing that holds my library, seriously, why did the developers make it harder to use?

Can someone tell me how to get Nito on my ATV without needing to take a class?
http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/NitoTV

is this what your looking for?
do you have bonjour even installed on the computer you're trying to ssh from?
Have you nmapped your net work to see if it's alive? Or checked the DHCP leases on your router for the IP address that the AppleTV could have?

Unfortunately, the Apple TV was sold as and is still a product for Apple downloads and the iTunes Store. Anything beyond that is hacking it, so you'll need to be someone that speaks the language or send it off to someone who does.
You can create a Patchstick by following the instructions here http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/ or http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1959

Once completed you should see a "Software" menu in ATV that includes NitoTV install. I think this is what you are looking for.
Good luck. Let us know how you are getting on.
Amet Wrote:i really dont understand what your issue is with ATVusb-creator. that piece of software has not changed(apart from making it compatible with the latest ATV versions) since it was made.it works, believe me, and if you dont, look at statistics on the download site.

download this, unzip it, plug in a USB thumb drive(it will get deleted!!), run it

after its done, plug it into ATV and restart holding "menu" and "-", it will run through some code, once done power cycle it and it will boot into standard ATV UI with an extra menu and SSH and other tool installed.

at this point you need to ssh into it by using the link above to install the nitoTv

now, which part of this are you not comfortable with? actually being nice on the forum is likely to get more people to help you, just my $0.02.

I'll help you regardless just to prove to you that it was much easier than you made it sound like Smile

Cheers,
amet

I am sorry if I came off as rude, I know you guys spend hours building this stuff for little reward, but please look at it from the point of view of a person that just want to use it and not make it a new hobby. And please understand that the last time I used this box it was a slam dunk to get the USB working with little knowledge of the inner workings of SSH or networking.

I had XBMC running last night without any real issue, it's not installing the patchstick and running XBMC that's the issue.

Basically my issue is that I cant install software with the remote anymore and have no "Software" option in the menu, hence my frustration. Am I missing something? Is that feature still here and I just cant see it etc...?

FWIW, Bonjour does not show the ATV in my Safari browser, I guess I could give the ATV a fixed IP and see if that helps, but I would rather install an older version that lets me use the remote to install software so that in the future I can install and update things out in the garage without the need for a computer.

logan_x50, That is the version of the patchstick that I am working with (1.0b13) and it works fine, I am running Launcher 3.2.5 and I have no menu option for "Software". I have Downloads but it is limited to updating XBMC, Boxee and the launcher, all of witch are current.

Is it because I am running a version of the ATV software that is newer than it should be for XBMC? Should I restore the machine and try again without updating the ATV native software?

Thank you all for your patience.
I hate to send you down the factory restore root as its a bit of a long process...I'm sure there are some brighter forum members that can tell you how to get the missing software menu back

Having said this I recently went through the factory restore route and the software menu definitely appeared. Here's what I did in order
1) factory restore
2) updated to the current atv version (from memory its 3.0.2??)
3) patchstick (b13)
4) you should see the launcher menu and software menu side by side
"Software" was removed on some versions of avtusb-creator because some plugins were incompatible with certain atv os versions. Since we don't have any control over these "other" plugins nor the "Software" plugin it was removed because it caused more problems than it was worth from the XBMC installation stand point.

Your main problem seems to be getting a working ssh. Solve that and then you can manually install whatever you want.
Since when should "modding" or "hacking" be completely simple? If you're looking for the consumer friendly experience, leave the ATV alone and run Apple's software. Smile

I too like it when there are "one click" options, but you should understand due to the nature of the processes that things can break without notice. When stuff breaks some of the old hacks tend to never get updated because the developers have moved on or are just bored of it. A lot of the older ATV mod add-ons have been around for years, it's no surprise when they fail to be maintained with a new release.

I'm just happy XBMC (Davilla mainly) still enjoy keeping support for the ATV as an XBMC platform. I gave up on the ATV software. I now run Linux on it with XBMC only.
there seems to be some overlap here with this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71498&page=3
dan1son Wrote:Since when should "modding" or "hacking" be completely simple? If you're looking for the consumer friendly experience, leave the ATV alone and run Apple's software. Smile

Since it was "completely simple" last year.
Why is it acceptable when things go in reverse?
I was doing this a few months after the ATV came out, and now it is harder to do, that is not progress, sorry to kick any ego's but it's the truth, sure you can say it's my fault for not keeping up with the latest changes and being the edgy geek I was when I was 25, but this is not my hobby.

I see needing the command line as the main reason this type of technology will always be on the fringe.

Now I either need to figure out why I cant SSH into this thing or just sell it.
hoosier Wrote:Since it was "completely simple" last year.
Why is it acceptable when things go in reverse?
I was doing this a few months after the ATV came out, and now it is harder to do, that is not progress, sorry to kick any ego's but it's the truth, sure you can say it's my fault for not keeping up with the latest changes and being the edgy geek I was when I was 25, but this is not my hobby.

I see needing the command line as the main reason this type of technology will always be on the fringe.

Now I either need to figure out why I cant SSH into this thing or just sell it.

sell it, we keep telling you how things are, you dont like it

sell it then... i'll give you $80 for it Smile

I'll tell you this again, NOTHING has changed with ssh since you have done it last year. do the factory restore and reapply patchstick
I'll give you $85.

But he's right, literally nothing has changed. Patchstick hasn't changed in nearly 3 years.
darkscout Wrote:I'll give you $85.

its too much, SSH doesnt work Big Grin
Pages: 1 2