Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Easy and secure way to upgrade?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

currently i have Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and XBMC 9.11 running on an Zotac ION lots of Movies, Music and Pictures and Stuff. It took me weeks to get it running like i wanted to VDPAU, HDMI-out, DTS via Digital-Out, smooth video playback....

So right now i would love to upgrade to XBMC 10 as i really miss the AllMusic-Scrapper, but i'm afraid of loosing my Database and my Settings! Shocked

So is there an easy and secure way to upgrade only to XBMC 10 from 9.11 without loosing any Audio/Video-Settings, database entries!Huh Or if not what else can i do?

Greetings!

PS: I'm not the best when it comes to Ubuntu/Linux so a step by step guide would really be nice!

PPS: Would that help?

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Will i loose any settings on upgradeing like that?
Quote:sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xbmc

That is what I use to do mine in Xbmclive. It has never caused any changes to data or my settings.
I just did

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install xbmc

On an older Dharma Beta and the update went fine with all things preserved including changes for my Bluetooth keyboard.
Great!

and you didn't loose any database settings? Any new Audio/Video Settings?

Did someone try to update from 9.11 to 10?
Heinecken Wrote:Great!

and you didn't loose any database settings? Any new Audio/Video Settings?

Did someone try to update from 9.11 to 10?
I had a ZOTAC ION-ITX with Ubuntu 9.04 installed (Karmic) and XBMC 9.11 with LIRC, etc, configured perfectly.

I recently upgraded the OS to 10.04, then XBMC to Dharma and it went pretty smoothly. Just in case, backup your settings folder (cp -R ~/.xbmc ~/.xbmc-backup).

Good luck.

V.