Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is it possible to use IMDb.com scraper for TV Shows and TV Show Episodes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi all!

I ve installed the latest xbmc (dharma).

My problem is that i need the imdb scraper for the tv shows too. When i go to the addons i can enable only the tvdb and a few others.

The imdb is only available in the movies info section. I cant install it in the tv shows section.

Can anyone tell me how to enable it in the tv shows?

Thank you in advance!
I don't believe you can, I believe the scraper is only setup for movies. IMO thetvdb is a better resource for tv show information. Just curious... is there a reason you don't want to use it? Smile
There are some shows that thetvdb does not handle correctly. A good example is animaniacs. With this show there are actually three mini episodes within the show. Imdb handles this correctly. For instance in season 1 there were 65 full 20 minute shows. Each show had up to three mini-episodes. If you use thetvdb to handle this show, it counts each mini-episode as 1 episode! So it has a total of 300+ episodes for season 1! With this show it makes way more sense to use IMDB to scrape this show.

I also think it should be up to the user to use whatever scraper they choose. I'm sure they're are other shows that illustrate this, however it is late and I am tired. But I do want the choice of using IMDB to scrape TV Shows if I so choose.
i am stuck with the exact same problem where thetvdb.com has about half of my shows split up the way explained above it makes it impossible to use it for tv scraper for those shows
It would be great because IMDb has the widely used official synopses of episodes from the same company that TiVo uses for theirs (the name escapes me). Any scraper would be great if you could choose to get those synopses instead of the fan-written ones like on thetvdb.
Hi! Sorry but i was away and couldnt answer.

As said above there are shows the the tvdb doesn t even have! Like the turkish (dont want to see or hear it) BINBIR GECE and DUDAKTAN KALBE. The imdb has both.

Is there any way to add our own scraper, to add imdb?
of course you can write your own scraper. or you can add those shows to tvdb.
I tried my friend with no result. I will try harder i guess.

Is there anything to help me? A tutorial, guidelines etc?

Tried to "tamper" with tvdb to make it check the imdb instead with no luck also.. Sad
bleo8onhs Wrote:As said above there are shows the the tvdb doesn t even have!

Agreed. There are many examples of this. Would love to see IMDB able to be used as a TV show scraper.
I wish I was better at programming but if someone here is here's the tutorial from the XBMC wiki

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...o_Scrapers
honestly i have to say that the tvdb is much more complete than the imdb for tv shows. would be much easier and more helpful for the whole community if you would edit the data in the tvdb instead of programming a scraper only a minority would use for this task... so why don't you just create an account over at the tvdb...it's a nice community too and helpful hands are welcomeBig Grin
vanMiez Wrote:honestly i have to say that the tvdb is much more complete than the imdb for tv shows.

It depends on the series. For American it might be, but not for others...

vanMiez Wrote:Would be much easier and more helpful for the whole community if you would edit the data in the tvdb instead of programming a scraper only a minority would use for this task...

There are series on IMDB with 180 episodes that are unknown by tvdb. I am not in a mood for copy-pasting. It would be far more interesting if tvdb would just copy the details from IMDB first.

vanMiez Wrote:so why don't you just create an account over at the tvdb...it's a nice community too and helpful hands are welcomeBig Grin

Because of the above stated reasons.
The problem is not just that the shows do not exist on TVDB. In my experience they almost always do.

The problem is that they sometimes don`t show up. I re-scrap my XBMC frequently because my work sends me out with different computers all the time.

For example right now Aqua Teen Hunger Force will not recognize. Eventually it will, but some other show will not. I have no idea why this happens. My file names never change. If you go to TVDB right now the show is clearly there. I have cut and pasted the title in, typed it in the same as on the site, used only some of the title, removed spaces, added dashes. Nothing works. I can`t add it to TVDB because it is clearly already there. This has happened for at least 18 months every time I re-scrape with between 1 and 10 out of 87 shows on my hard drive (different 1 to 10 all the time.)

With IMDB you can enter the reference number of the show in the manual entry rather then the title if the title will not work that week. TVDB will not do this.

Also, with two different sources I can used one if the other fails. It is unlikely that two will fail on the same show at the same time.

Does anyone know why this happens? I'm thinking of going back to the old version which will let me choose the IMDB scraper. The whole point of XBMC is to have an awesome presentation of you media to inspire awe and jealousy amongst your peers. Having an ugly blue folder sitting in the middle of my shows. ruins that effect.

For example this time these ones did not work:
-Aqua Teen Hunger Force
-Battle Star Galactica
-Scrubs
-The Shield
-Star Trek DS9

The same happens with Movies. Especially anything starting with a number (18 year old virgin, 50 first dates) and franchise movies (American Pie, Star Wars, Bad Boys)
I can NOT believe there are people on here defending the TVDB! You guys have to be out of your minds! Not only are the shows a total mess, but you CAN'T correct them. When they see that there is a messed up show, they simply LOCK the show so it can't be fixed. And then they leave it that way presumably forever. They run a very non-professional site and I have no idea how they got popular.

Not only can't a scrape Pawn Stars and Mythbusters two WILDLY popular American shows... but I can't even use programs like Sickbeard to download them because according to the TVDB BOTH programs are no longer being made! They simply stopped adding the new shows to their site and they lock anybody out who wants to claim otherwise!

They should be embarrassed at how they run their site and I hope another person makes a REAL site and runs it correctly so they can see how foolish they were for getting so popular and not keeping up on the site!

And did I mention I HATE that site! lol. It's just that there are all of these AMAZING programs out there that are ALL performing poorly because of ONE site that can't keep up! Everybody should just dump them all together!
tommymsw Wrote:I can NOT believe there are people on here defending the TVDB! You guys have to be out of your minds! Not only are the shows a total mess, but you CAN'T correct them. When they see that there is a messed up show, they simply LOCK the show so it can't be fixed. And then they leave it that way presumably forever. They run a very non-professional site and I have no idea how they got popular.

Not only can't a scrape Pawn Stars and Mythbusters two WILDLY popular American shows... but I can't even use programs like Sickbeard to download them because according to the TVDB BOTH programs are no longer being made! They simply stopped adding the new shows to their site and they lock anybody out who wants to claim otherwise!

They should be embarrassed at how they run their site and I hope another person makes a REAL site and runs it correctly so they can see how foolish they were for getting so popular and not keeping up on the site!

And did I mention I HATE that site! lol. It's just that there are all of these AMAZING programs out there that are ALL performing poorly because of ONE site that can't keep up! Everybody should just dump them all together!

Actually, Mythbusters and Pawn Stars do update. the problem is that people put wrong information, like according to the official site Pawns Stars is in it's 2nd season, but idiots were filing out the 3rd & 4th seasons. Many scene groups follow this. With Mythbusters, too many people were writing information for specials in the individual season. Both these shows in response to the MASS of incorrect information were locked and are updated by the site owners.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5