Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Clic / Bump Noise when skipping,pausing,resuming Video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
I've just installed XBMC 10 (Dharma) and Ubuntu 10.04 on my Asrock ION 330HT.

Everything works fine but every time i pause, resume or skip while watching a video I ear a clic/bump noise.

I tried multiple configuration changing HDA-Intel.conf, asound.conf, .asoundrc and XBMC audio settings, but the problem is still there....

NVIDIA 260 drivers
Alsa 1.0.23

Any suggestion?

Thank you!
veldom Wrote:Hello,
I've just installed XBMC 10 (Dharma) and Ubuntu 10.04 on my Asrock ION 330HT.

Everything works fine but every time i pause, resume or skip while watching a video I ear a clic/bump noise.

I tried multiple configuration changing HDA-Intel.conf, asound.conf, .asoundrc and XBMC audio settings, but the problem is still there....

NVIDIA 260 drivers
Alsa 1.0.23

Any suggestion?

Thank you!

I have been getting a similar result when running native HDMI on Dharma. I get a click/squelch when I launch a MKV. I had to change it to Analog 5.1 to get to work without the squelch. Not sure if it is because I running HDMI to the TV and then Speakers directly off the TV without a true 5.1 Receiver.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=84570

Related?

Pretty sure it's just a passthrough audio thing. In non-passthrough you can smoothly start/stop something - at the very least you can program a short fade in/out. I don't know how you would do that on a purely digital stream. Seems like you'd just have a random bit of data and it would result in an audio anomaly. I'm not programmer though, so that's just my two uninformed cents.
HDMI passthrough works fine... pausing, stopping, forwarding.. perfect !!!

SPDIF passthrough during movie plays is fine too. but if movie is stopped (stop button), or sometimes paused, everytime an other "spark" frequency... it seems, SPDIF is not muted when playing is aborted..
more tests shows: on my zotac "Clic / Bump Noise" only with DTS movies. Sound on AC3-movies (SPDIF) is clean...
Thank you for your answers, but i did'nt solve my problem. Here are to configurations that work pretty well. (i want to keep Analogic audio because of the volume controls)

-If i follow this guide : Official wiki i have:

HDMI output, Audio Output Device:HDMI, with Passthrough (as in guide)
working without "click noise"
Analogic output Audio Output Device:HDMI, WITHOUT passthrough
working with VERY annoying "click noise"

-If i follow this guide : Forum Post i have:

HDMI output, Audio Output Device: DEFAULT with Passthrough (plughw:0,3)
working WITH very low "click noise"
Analogic output, Audio Output Device: DEFAULT, WITHOUT passthrough
working with very low "click noise"

I'm still searching for a fix.
alexpigment Wrote:at the very least you can program a short fade in/out.

Can you be more specific?

Thank you! Big Grin
veldom Wrote:Can you be more specific?

Thank you! Big Grin

That was actually more of a theoretical statement. If you mix the audio down (i.e. no passthrough) a developer should in theory be able to make a fade in or fade out when you pause, which would mitigate any audio glitches. Winamp does this by default for example.