Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Stuck at cursor after install
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had a perfectly working 9.11 live install to hard drive that i had been running for about a year and decided to do a fresh install of xbmc live 10. The install went smooth, however, I can only load xbmc from the live cd with the option launch OS from hard drive. It doesnt even pull up the xbmc screen. It just shows the blinking underscore. I cant even load grub if I hold the shift key. I have my drive flagged as bootable. For my hardware I have a zotac ion board. My main drive that xbmc is installed to is sdb and my storage drive for all of my files is sda. My sda drive is ntfs also and xbmc isn't seeing it. It ran fine on 9.11 though so I'm not sure what the problem is. I LOVE xbmc and I'm already missing it. Any help would very much be appreciated.
mrfunnyguyky Wrote:I had a perfectly working 9.11 live install to hard drive that i had been running for about a year and decided to do a fresh install of xbmc live 10. The install went smooth, however, I can only load xbmc from the live cd with the option launch OS from hard drive. It doesnt even pull up the xbmc screen. It just shows the blinking underscore. I cant even load grub if I hold the shift key. I have my drive flagged as bootable. For my hardware I have a zotac ion board. My main drive that xbmc is installed to is sdb and my storage drive for all of my files is sda. My sda drive is ntfs also and xbmc isn't seeing it. It ran fine on 9.11 though so I'm not sure what the problem is. I LOVE xbmc and I'm already missing it. Any help would very much be appreciated.

Hey! Gonna need a little more info? Did you boot off a DVD, CD or USB Flash? Are you installing XBMC to a partition, the whole drive, etc.? The reason that I ask is that I ran into issues installing XBMC Live locally to my Aspire Revo using a Flash Drive and the iso boot utility...
It sounds like you're missing a bootloader. try using grub-install or grub-update.
erock3742 Wrote:Hey! Gonna need a little more info? Did you boot off a DVD, CD or USB Flash? Are you installing XBMC to a partition, the whole drive, etc.? The reason that I ask is that I ran into issues installing XBMC Live locally to my Aspire Revo using a Flash Drive and the iso boot utility...

I installed it from the CD. I'm doing the whole partition guided install on a dedicated OS drive.
outleradam Wrote:It sounds like you're missing a bootloader. try using grub-install or grub-update.

I read that grub2 is used on the newer distros and my system has the grub to files on the system and I did the update-grub command but it is still stuck. Is there a grub2 setup I need to do that I am missing?
Will it Boot from cd? If not then try burning a new cd. You may have had a spec of dust on the cd.
outleradam Wrote:Will it Boot from cd? If not then try burning a new cd. You may have had a spec of dust on the cd.

It will boot from a cd. I have to boot from cd then select the launch OS on hard drive option. I think I may have a grub error. My computer will now boot to a grub command prompt without the cd. When I launch the OS from hard drive option from the cd it will actually give me a xbmc live and recovery option in grub. I think grub is installed to 2 spots maybe?
Slightly different approach, same issue with a Zotac IONITX-A-U:

- Tried installing from flash to HD, flash to flash, and CD to flash. I get cursor-only after I select "Install XBMC LIve"
- Installed from CD to flash on another PC, installed flawlessly and boots fine on that PC. Bootloader launches fine on the Zotac, but I get a blank screen when it tried to launch XBMC.