Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Deleting xbmc live and reloading a windows platform
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am re-purposing my old XBMC Live loaded asipre revo and need to put xp back on it, how is this done? I have zero understanding of Linux commands or architecture.
Put in the XP cd, boot from it, install windows. You don't need to know Linux to install Windows.
that actually is not working, I am getting a blue screen most likely due to hd formatting issues I think
nope. Your bluescreen has nothing to do with formatting issues. Most likey you have a bad CD.

When you install windows you
1. set up partitions (format the drive, yes you are sure, enter to continue)
2. input minimal information.
3. let windows do it's job of installation.

There are several things you have to worry about, but previous operating systems are not one of them.

In this situation, your best bet is to
step 1. place Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop Edition on a flash drive (for now and the future)

step 2a. make a new boot CD
a. use Ubuntu to gain internet, torrent and burning capabilities
b. download a torrent of Windows XP (the retail version if you have a retail key, or the OEM version of your manufacturer)
c. burn the CD to a burnable drive

---or--- step 2b. Contact OEM manufacturer to get a CD-ROM of windows

3. Use Ubuntu until you get the CD
4. keep a copy of Ubuntu 10.10 on a flash drive to recover your computer at a later time.

I can't stress this enough, because of the proprietary nature of Windows and the open nature of Linux, Ubuntu is a perfect recovery tool for Windows. It can virus scan, repartition, repair boot sectors, function as a data recovery tool and many many more things. I use it as my primary operating system because of it's versatility, speed, and customizability. My wife uses it because it is nearly impenatrable to viruses and easy to use.