Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Fails to launch - MacBook 10.5.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

original MacBook running 10.5.2. No displays or devices attached. Hasn't run XBMC before.

Downloaded xbmc-10.0.dmg directly to the MacBook. Dragged the application to the Applications folder. Launched it from there.

The application (very briefly) shows "XBMC" and "Window" in the menu bar, then exits with no error message.

Repeated launches do the same thing.

Here's what the console says:

com.teamxbmc.xbmc Could not init logging classes. Permission errors on ~/.xbmc?

com.teamxbmc.xbmc ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting

Could someone please advise?
what user are you logged in as ?

xbmc is trying to write to ~/.xbmc which would be in your /Users/<username> and you should defiantly have read/write there.
Yup, I am logged in as Admin.

FWIW, I have a near-identical set-up on a (new) MacBook running 10.6. (It was a clone of the older MacBook, including all accounts.) No problems running XBMC on that.

I could try installing 10.6 on the older MacBook, but that's last-resort right now and would prefer to get XBMC working under Leopard if I can.

Cheers.
Womble Wrote:Yup, I am logged in as Admin.

FWIW, I have a near-identical set-up on a (new) MacBook running 10.6. (It was a clone of the older MacBook, including all accounts.) No problems running XBMC on that.

I could try installing 10.6 on the older MacBook, but that's last-resort right now and would prefer to get XBMC working under Leopard if I can.

Cheers.

I would update to 10.5.8 first, that's the last 10.5 update.
Did you ever figure out what the problem was? (And more importantly: How to solve it?)

I have the same console error and have been unable to launch XBMC.
Quote:Did you ever figure out what the problem was? (And more importantly: How to solve it?)

I have the same console error and have been unable to launch XBMC.

Wow, let me just go ahead and create my own answer... Hopefully this will help someone else!

I did a clean OSX Tiger install on an old PowerPC Mac Mini (with all software updates) and installed the latest build of XBMC OSX PPC. XBMC would not launch -- The application icon would bounce once in the dock and automatically close. Console showed this error:

Code:
ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting
Could not init logging classes. Permission errors on ~/.xbmc?

I wanted more information, so I created an advancedsettings.xml file and placed it in my userdata folder (as outlined here and here). Tried opening it again, predictably received the same console error, and yet no log file was produced.

Presumably because of my clean OS install, I noticed there was actually no Logs folder in my User Library. I simply created a new (empty) folder in my library, named it "Logs," and tried opening XBMC again.

Success! XBMC finally launched.

Dumb problem and even dumber solution... But hey -- at least it works.