Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [GUIDE] XBMC Dharma Live for Revo 1600
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay guys I ran into lots of problems getting my Revo 1600 Ion machine to run well with Dharma. Here is my guide to getting everything working to allow hdmi audio/video to a TV. This guide will not help you if you need surround sound or run hdmi to an amp. Again **Use this guide if you only run hdmi to your tv**

Credit to thedalmeny, myrison and ngiardina - I've cannibalized all your threads for this guide.

This guide is based on using a bootable USB stick in order to install XBMC Live.

STEP 1 - REQUIRED DOWNLOADS

Download and Install WINSCP
here.

Download and Install Putty.
here.
Move putty.exe to Program Files (x86)/PuTTY/putty.exe

Download and Install unetbootin
here.

Download and Install HP Format Tool
here.

Download Latest XBMC Freak
here.

STEP 2 - FORMAT USB DRIVE

Open HP USB format tool, select to format the USB drive being used for the installation

Note: Do not use "Quick Format"

Note: Use FAT32

STEP 3 - PREP USB DRIVE

Once the USB drive has been formatted, you need to use unetbootin to make the bootable installation.

Open unetbootin

Select "Diskimage" and the XBMCLive ISO you have downloaded.

Select the USB drive being used for the installation and click "OK"

STEP 4 - XBMC INSTALLATION

Remove the USB drive used for the installation and place within one of the ports of the Acer Revo (Rear ports are preferred, as i presume they provide more power to any connected USB device)

When Acer splash screen displays, hit "DEL" to enter the BIOS setup.

Select "Advanced bios features" - setting the Acer Revo to boot from the USB drive first.

Save changes and exit the BIOS.

The Acer Revo should now boot from the USB stick and present you with some options, select the following option:

"Install XBMCLive"

Follow the prompts and when asked, select to use the entire drive for the installation (Do not use LVM).

Let the installation complete, following the prompts.

Once installation has complete, enter the BIOS once again and set the HDD as the first boot device.

Your Acer Revo should now boot into XBMC

STEP 5 - CONFIGURATION

Once XBMC has loaded, select the "Settings" options.

Goto Video and Playback and enable the following options:

Render Method: Audo Detect
Allow Hardware Acceleration (VDPAU): Enable
Adjust display refresh rate to match video: Enable
Sync playback to display: Enable
VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion: Enable
A/V Sync Method: Video Clock, Drop/Dupe audio

Goto Audio Output settings and ebale the following options (This is purely based on my setup, change speaker configuration and receiver options in line with your own)

Audio Output: Analog
Speaker Configuration: 2.0
Boost Volumn Level On Downmix: Enable
Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable Receiver: Disabled
DTS Capable Receiver: Disabled
Audio Output Device: Defaults
Passthrough Output Device: Iec958

STEP 6 - LOG INTO THE REVO VIA PUTTY

Goto your PC and execute the previously installed WinSCP, using the IP address of the Acer Revo and username and password configured at installation. Log into the Revo.

Once loaded, select the following menu path to launch putty:

Commands > Open In Putty

At this stage you'll be asked once again for the password.

STEP 7 - UPDATE NVIDIA DRIVERS

Download the latest Nvidia drivers by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update

Kill x display by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo pkill x
It will ask for your password, enter it, and press enter.

Remove existing Nvidia drivers by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*.

Code:
sudo pkill x

Install the new nvidia drivers by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings
The nvidia installer will start, make sure to say yes to creating a new configuration file.

STEP 8 - DISPLAY SETTINGS - 1080p / 23.97hz

Update the display settings by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=6K3XjdUS -O /etc/X11/xorg.conf

STEP 9 - AUDIO SETTINGS

Update the audio settings (This will fix menu / audio issues which the 1600 has experienced for many):

Perform the following command:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/asound.conf
A text editor will be shown.

Type everything as below:
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm “hw:0,3”
        rate 48000
    }
}
Press CTRL + X and follow the prompts to exit and save the changes

STEP 10 - PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT

Using an additional setting can increase the performance when viewing fanart:

Code:
nano /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

By adding another line, you'll want the file to look like this (The <useddfanart> line has to be added).

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<network>
<disableipv6>true</disableipv6>
</network>
    <gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -c :0 -tq GPUCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

Select CTRL + X and follow the prompts to exit and save the changes

STEP 11 - REBOOT - YOUR DONE

Code:
sudo reboot now

The Acer Revo should now reboot, fully configured to work with XBMC Live.
Oh and if you want to setup your live install to have a static IP to make SSH'ing into easier:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

You are going to change the interface from dynamic to static. Note that this is for Ethernet connections and wifi will be different. The numbers below indicate that I am assigning an IP address of 192.168.1.100 to my Revo box and the router's IP is 192.168.1.1. Yours may be different.

Code:
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

Ctrl-x then follow prompts to save and exit.

And then to restart the ethernet interface:
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
I've not actually used this but it looks like a wonderful guide - thank you Smile
Awsome collection of tips here for Revo 1600 users. Many thanks for pulling this together!

Cheers,
Steve.
suggestion: update nvidia drivers via x-swat ppa
Hannes The Hun Wrote:suggestion: update nvidia drivers via x-swat ppa

Also Fixes LPCM output and channel mapping.

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f5f9654bb -O /etc/asound.conf
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f2e38265 -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf
why xbmcfreak? I've never understood the benefit, so pardon my ignorance.
alexpigment Wrote:why xbmcfreak? I've never understood the benefit, so pardon my ignorance.

The major differences between the version of xbmc.org are:

- samba windows file sharing
- sabnzb
- transmission torrent
- firefly itunes sharing
- makemkv (Blu-Ray support)
- apache, php webserver
- remote control php XBMC

More livecd’s to follow soon!
-
From the their download page.
I use xbmcfreak because it has been optimized and trimmed down for nvidia ion users. I struggled with the live dharma release and never could get everything working correctly. After I tried the xbmcfreak live install everything seemed to go much smoother.

Also thanks for the post detailing using the x-swat ppa, I used that orginally when I was trying to get an ubuntu install to work. I will update the post so that when a new nvidia driver is out users of this guide will always have the latest and greatest (if the latest doesn't break something haha).

Revo 1600 users can't use the HDA-intel.conf since we only have one onboard sound card, HDA-nvidia. Someone with the know-how and an amp to test will have to discover how to properly fix LCPM and channel mapping for the 1600.
Thanks for the great guide. I just reloaded my 1600 that had been running XBMCFreak 9.11 Beta 1. My 1600 is connected directly to the TV via HDMI and sound did not work for me at all. I double checked that I had exactly what your guide says for sound and still nothing out in the menus and videos would not play. I ended up trying the other sound config files posted in this thread and sound works perfectly now. These are the ones that worked for me.

Code:
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f2e38265 -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

I would also like to suggest a little clarification on the setup menu text as it took me a little hunting to find the particular menus to get to the Video and Audio setup menus as they are named slightly different than 9.11. The text below may make it a little easier for XBMC Noobs like me to get to the correct menus faster. It may just be me but I was looking for a menu item called Video and Playback.

"Once XBMC has loaded, click on the "System" menu item or select the "Settings" option under the System sub-menu.

From the Settings menu that appears, select "Video" then "Playback" and enable the following options:"

"Next, navigate back to "System" then goto "Audio Output" and enable the following options (This is purely based on my setup, change speaker configuration and receiver options in line with your own)"

Lastly, I don't know what role you have WinSCP playing other than launching Putty which can be installed and launched on it's own. WinSCP is a useful utility but it doesn't really play a role during the installation. Rather than downloading the executable for putty, you can download http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/late...taller.exe and it will be in the correct place. You also would not need WinSCP.

These are all just suggestions. Using your guide I was easily able to update my system with the latest XBMC and other than the sound issue I had, it worked perfectly. Thank You.

Toonces
Are navigation and menu sounds able to be retained with these set up instructions? I am not having much success keeping them with
Dharma.

Thanks.
V
Sisith Wrote:Okay guys I ran into lots of problems getting my Revo 1600 Ion machine to run well with Dharma. Here is my guide to getting everything working to allow hdmi audio/video to a TV. This guide will not help you if you need surround sound or run hdmi to an amp. Again **Use this guide if you only run hdmi to your tv**

Credit to thedalmeny, myrison and ngiardina - I've cannibalized all your threads for this guide.

This guide is based on using a bootable USB stick in order to install XBMC Live.

STEP 1 - REQUIRED DOWNLOADS

Download and Install WINSCP
here.

Download and Install Putty.
here.
Move putty.exe to Program Files (x86)/PuTTY/putty.exe

Download and Install unetbootin
here.

Download and Install HP Format Tool
here.

Download Latest XBMC Freak
here.

STEP 2 - FORMAT USB DRIVE

Open HP USB format tool, select to format the USB drive being used for the installation

Note: Do not use "Quick Format"

Note: Use FAT32

STEP 3 - PREP USB DRIVE

Once the USB drive has been formatted, you need to use unetbootin to make the bootable installation.

Open unetbootin

Select "Diskimage" and the XBMCLive ISO you have downloaded.

Select the USB drive being used for the installation and click "OK"

STEP 4 - XBMC INSTALLATION

Remove the USB drive used for the installation and place within one of the ports of the Acer Revo (Rear ports are preferred, as i presume they provide more power to any connected USB device)

When Acer splash screen displays, hit "DEL" to enter the BIOS setup.

Select "Advanced bios features" - setting the Acer Revo to boot from the USB drive first.

Save changes and exit the BIOS.

The Acer Revo should now boot from the USB stick and present you with some options, select the following option:

"Install XBMCLive"

Follow the prompts and when asked, select to use the entire drive for the installation (Do not use LVM).

Let the installation complete, following the prompts.

Once installation has complete, enter the BIOS once again and set the HDD as the first boot device.

Your Acer Revo should now boot into XBMC

STEP 5 - CONFIGURATION

Once XBMC has loaded, select the "Settings" options.

Goto Video and Playback and enable the following options:

Render Method: Audo Detect
Allow Hardware Acceleration (VDPAU): Enable
Adjust display refresh rate to match video: Enable
Sync playback to display: Enable
VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion: Enable
A/V Sync Method: Video Clock, Drop/Dupe audio

Goto Audio Output settings and ebale the following options (This is purely based on my setup, change speaker configuration and receiver options in line with your own)

Audio Output: Analog
Speaker Configuration: 2.0
Boost Volumn Level On Downmix: Enable
Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable Receiver: Disabled
DTS Capable Receiver: Disabled
Audio Output Device: Defaults
Passthrough Output Device: Iec958

STEP 6 - LOG INTO THE REVO VIA PUTTY

Goto your PC and execute the previously installed WinSCP, using the IP address of the Acer Revo and username and password configured at installation. Log into the Revo.

Once loaded, select the following menu path to launch putty:

Commands > Open In Putty

At this stage you'll be asked once again for the password.

STEP 7 - UPDATE NVIDIA DRIVERS

Download the latest Nvidia drivers by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Code:
sudo pkill x

Remove existing Nvidia drivers by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*.

Code:
sudo pkill x

Install the new nvidia drivers by performing the following command:
Code:
The nvidia installer will start, make sure to say yes to creating a new configuration file.

STEP 8 - DISPLAY SETTINGS - 1080p / 23.97hz

Update the display settings by performing the following command:
Code:
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=6K3XjdUS -O /etc/X11/xorg.conf

STEP 9 - AUDIO SETTINGS

Update the audio settings (This will fix menu / audio issues which the 1600 has experienced for many):

Code:
sudo nano /etc/asound.conf

Type everything as below:
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm “hw:0,3”
        rate 48000
    }
}
Press CTRL + X and follow the prompts to exit and save the changes

STEP 10 - PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT

Using an additional setting can increase the performance when viewing fanart:

Code:
nano /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

By adding another line, you'll want the file to look like this (The <useddfanart> line has to be added).

Code:
<advancedsettings>
<network>
<disableipv6>true</disableipv6>
</network>
    <gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -c :0 -tq GPUCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

Select CTRL + X and follow the prompts to exit and save the changes

STEP 11 - REBOOT - YOUR DONE

Code:
sudo reboot now

The Acer Revo should now reboot, fully configured to work with XBMC Live.

I followed these instructions on my acer revo 1600, and after rebooting, playing video I would get the mouse X in the middle of the screen and it would go black and in about 10 seconds would come back to the initial menu screen. Unsure what I did wrong, I have tried setting it up numerous times tonight and I cannot get video to play using these steps.
This file 'asound.conf' is causing video not to play on my acer revo 1600. I get a X(the mouse) in the middle of the screen which normally video would play and then it goes black for about 10 seconds and it comes back to the initial menu screen. Once I remove the file video plays without any issues at all. Anyone else having this issue?
I received this same issue.. so I applied the fix that Venares listed earlier in this thread and everything works just fine now.

amcfarla Wrote:This file 'asound.conf' is causing video not to play on my acer revo 1600. I get a X(the mouse) in the middle of the screen which normally video would play and then it goes black for about 10 seconds and it comes back to the initial menu screen. Once I remove the file video plays without any issues at all. Anyone else having this issue?
Venares Wrote:Also Fixes LPCM output and channel mapping.

Code:
sudo apt-get update

This resolved my issue with sound on the menus, and it allowed me to play videos. Thank you everyone for the solution.
Pages: 1 2