Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Simple solution to XBMC shares not working due to Windows Live Messenger 2011 Update!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As those of you who are suffering from the problem will know, if you are running windows 7 and sharing your items such that they can run wirelessly on your apple tv through XBMC, your shares stopped working when you updated to the new Windows Live Messenger 2011. (everytime you try to access your smb shares, xbmc asks for a username and password that you haven't set and no matter what username and password you enter it can't access the network share)

I've been running around on these forums and have not yet seen this solution but it worked for me and I'm pretty sure it will work for everyone else.

Please note that I did not come up with this solution I am only sharing it as I'm sure it'll prove to be very effective for everyone.

When my ATV stopped streaming (Because my SMB shares didn't work) I went out and got an ASUS wireless media player that is supposed to be able to stream content. That suffered from the same problem. HOWEVER, when I looked up the problem on their forums some1 had posted this solution and when I tried it, it worked! The solution is as follows:

Run regedit
Navigate to the following location in the registry editor
MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetControlLsa
1. On the right side Double Click on everyoneincludesanonymous and in the window that pops up, change the value data from a 0 value to a 1
2. Double Click on NoLmHash and in the window that pops up, change the Value Data from a 1 value to a 0

Navigate to the following location in the registry editor MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesLanManServerParameters
1. Double Click on restrictnullsessaccess and change the 1 value to a 0? NOTE: There is no need to "save" these changes, as you make changes to the registry it is saved automatically.
2. Close the registry editor and restart the computer.

I hope this helps!! Like I said, it worked for me, don't see why it wouldn't work for you!

Cheers!
Thanks heaps man!

Made these changes, rebooted and all was well again! Worked on two different Windows 7 machines (which obviously are the ones which store everything that is watched in XBMC ...)

I was surprised and annoyed because of this, I just woke up one morning and SMB had died. Windows Updates must have run in the background and done evil things.

Thanks again Big Grin
I can also confirm the above registry changes fix the dreaded live messenger issue.
glad i cud help folks!!
ffhhkk Wrote:Double Click on everyoneincludesanonymous and in the window that pops up, change the value data from a 0 value to a 1

You do understand whats happening dont you? its supposed to limit network resources to anonymous users. What you have done is grant anonymous (Everyone) users access to resources that are only intended for authenticated users.

Some may not understand this and some may consider it a bad idea to enable it.

To each his own. Its your stuff.
Hey FishOil! Thanx for the response!

I'm afraid i'm a little confused as to the implications of what u've pointed out.

All my media is shared on my wireless network. To connect to my wireless network everyone has to enter a password (for the router). This password is saved in the ATV so it can use the internet and stuff.

Why should XBMC require a username and password? Is a second authentication really that important? I dont know about others, but anyone who can access my wireless internet (because i've given them the password to my router) is welcome to also access my media. In my case, theres no one who has access to my router except myself.

also do u know of any other fix that a novice user like myself cud apply? this problem only started occurring with windows live sign in assistant.. and now.. in the 2011 version of msn messenger, its bundled so u can't uninstall it to keep ur atv running.

Thanx again for pointing out what u did. I'm sure there are other users out there who will not want to use this solution because of this. (I personally didnt think much of it coz its not an issue for me!) Smile
FishOil Wrote:You do understand whats happening dont you? its supposed to limit network resources to anonymous users. What you have done is grant anonymous (Everyone) users access to resources that are only intended for authenticated users.

Some may not understand this and some may consider it a bad idea to enable it.

To each his own. Its your stuff.

I think that what it does really, is give anonymous access on items, where you specified Everyone, not much else. It doesnt give access to shares, per exemple, that is restricted to specific users.
I agree with fishoil: this is not a solution.
It's an unsafe (very unsafe) workaround: shutdown all network security to avoid authentication problems from XBMC to Windows 7.

cheers.
This allows me to connect to the SMB but it seems that this workaround makes it so I cant access the remote server for the scrapers. Any ideas?
I've found that you need to disable in local policy editor (secpol.msc) running as Administrator

Local Policy / Security Option

Network Security : Authorize PKU2U authentification for online identity
(free translation might not be called like this in english version of windows, look for PKU2U)

Set this at Disable...

Don't think that you need to reboot...

And it worked right away, not poping authentification on XBMC after this!
techinfo Wrote:I've found that you need to disable in local policy editor (secpol.msc) running as Administrator

(free translation might not be called like this in english version of windows, look for PKU2U)

Set this at Disable...

This totally worked for me!!! My server computer is Windows 7 x64 box and I wanted to use Windows Live Mesh to sync the 'userdata' and 'addons' folders between computers, but the 2011 version installed the "Live Sign-in Assistant" that the Wiki says needs to be removed for sharing to work. I had to uninstall live-mesh completely to get it to work. I tried re-installing Live Mesh again and sharing broke after I rebooted the server just like last time. I tried disabling "PKU2U authentication" like you described and it worked fine! Very exciting!

Does anyone know if turning off PKU2U Auth like this could be a bad thing? If not, this may be worth posting in the Wiki.
techinfo Wrote:I've found that you need to disable in local policy editor (secpol.msc) running as Administrator

Set this at Disable...

I may be wrong, but I THINK this allow users beside the ones in your local network access your "homegroup" (media and file sharing feature).
My question still the same: why I can mount a Windows 7 shares using Linux's Samba without compromise the Windows 7 security, but can't do it, let's say, "inside" XBMC (XBMC's internal SMB client)??
Even running older versions of Ubuntu, but up-to-date by apt-get, I can mount any share @ any Windows running any revision of Windows Live without change anything (and without compromise the security).

Is time to change something at XBMC's SMB client. This kind of issues are being reported for almost 2 years now, without a fix. Started with "Windows Live sign in assistant" in 2009, but is much more serious now with Windows Live 2011.

I read somewhere that this problem (Live 2011 issue) was solved a few months ago in XBOX client. XBOX users can log to Windows 7 running Windows Live 2011 without any "magic". I will update my XBOX, retired a long time now, to confirm this information. The last time I tried the XBOX had the same problem. But, if this information is true and was possible fix SMB to XBOX client, why isn't possible to main XBMC?

Cheers.
FireMan Wrote:I read somewhere that this problem (Live 2011 issue) was solved a few months ago in XBOX client. XBOX users can log to Windows 7 running Windows Live 2011 without any "magic". I will update my XBOX, retired a long time now, to confirm this information. The last time I tried the XBOX had the same problem. But, if this information is true and was possible fix SMB to XBOX client, why isn't possible to main XBMC?

Well, I know that on the new IOS XBMC (Apple TV2, iPhone, iPad) the new update supposedly fixes the SMB/Live problem, so yeah, I think that SMB client needs to be updated.
Quote: I think that SMB client needs to be updated

Correct. According to the team a system upgrade (from live 10.0) will fix it.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

NB: If you have installed something in a way that makes it kernel dependent this may brake that component. (usually graphical, alsa or remote)
vikjon0 Wrote:Correct. According to the team a system upgrade (from live 10.0) will fix it.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

NB: If you have installed something in a way that makes it kernel dependent this may brake that component. (usually graphical, alsa or remote)

No, I'm not talking aboult linux's client, since I'm able to mount any share under linux (whitch is up-to-date) @ Windows 7 computers running any version of Live.
I'm talking aboult XBMC's internal client. It is compleatly independent from samba-client (smbfs) package from linux. XBMC SMB feature works without smbfs being installed.

I don't have problems to mount any share in linux. Just to access through XBMC's SMB feature. So, what I mean to say was: is time to update (or change) something in XBMC SMB feature (not linux one).

Cheers.
Pages: 1 2