Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] branch boblight: only small Window visible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi @all

i compiled the boblight branch today. boblight is working fine, the LED-Stripes get the right colors while playing a movie... but.... i only have a small (2x2inch) video window at the left, top corner. everything else is black. if i activate the osd menu the screen starts to "flicker".

i'm not sure if it's a bug or a misconfiguration...

my system:
Ubuntu mini 9.1 karmic
xbmc branch/boblight
boblight http://boblight.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
Board M4A785-M
ATI Radeon 4200

boblight is the last step before i am able to switch from windows mediaportal to linux xbmc ;(

btw Merry Christmas Smile

tobias
this is just a wild guess, but check your AMD/ATI gfx drivers
i followed the "Unofficial ATI Linux Driver wiki" http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_...tion_Guide , Manual Install Method of ATI Catalyst 10.12 (newest).

btw if i disable boblight in the settings, the playback works fine. so i don't think it's a driver problem.

but i could try some settings (VideoOverlay / OpenGLOverlay on/off ) i'll report my results later.

thanks for your guess Smile
no luck ;(
i tried some other settings. same result.
it seems to be a bug in boblight (in combination with ati-drivers)

btw the video is upside down while boblight is enabled...
That's probably because ati doesn't support opengl aux buffers.
and again... there it is... ATI the never ending story...

is there any solution? i mean, without buying a nvidia card....

xbmc is so awesome! thank you xbmc team! i can't wait to switch.
btw i don't know if this have to do with this aux buffer you mentioned:

Quote:2.130 What is the AUX library?

Very important: Don't use AUX. Use GLUT instead.

The AUX library was developed by SGI early in OpenGL's life to ease creation of small OpenGL demonstration programs. It's currently neither supported nor maintained. Developing OpenGL programs using AUX is strongly discouraged. Use the GLUT instead. It's more flexible and powerful and is available on a wide range of platforms.
http://www.opengl.org/resources/faq/tech...tarted.htm
No, that's a different thing.
The fix is probably quite simple, but I want to add the correct extensions to our python interface instead so I can make a boblight client in python.
"fix" and "simple" are the words i like Smile

isn't a python-solution slower than your build in c++ solution?

i'm looking forward to hear from you

thanks!
I shouldn't hurt performance too much.
what do you think when can we expect a new release?
It's done when it's done.
bobo1on1 Wrote:It's done when it's done.

a wise choice of words ... but i also would be interested in a ETA ... Wink
I had the boblight branch running for quite some time and switched to dharma a couple of weeks ago. But it's great to here that you are working on a addon/python based solution. I tried my luck on patching the current dharma release to get the nice stutter free boblight client back, but i'm far from getting a stable compile ... Tongue

I'm planning on building a, greater than 50 channels, ambilight clone based on a design i found a couple of weeks ago.
XBMC + Boblight + ambilight and a nice PVR client ... what would a guy want more ... Wink