Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No Sound after installing any Nvidia graphic Driver [Ubuntu 10.04]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Right after installing any Nvidia graphic driver (Ubuntu repository or manually from the Nvidia homepage) the sound is gone Undecided
I can repoduce the problem every time I install the driver.

My Setup is a DVI Cable from a Geforce 9500GT to HDMI Port of my LCD-TV. The Sound is just a analog 3.5mm cable.

I really don't know what's messed up Sad

regards, crasher
Crasher, DVI is just video, it doesn't carry audio data - you need full HDMI to carry video+audio on the same cable. Your sound is being output solely on the 3.5mm analogue jack plug, yes? So, stereo 2.0 sound? This is what you want, not any kind of surround sound like Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital AC-3, DTS, etc.?

OK, Ubuntu can certainly do this as can XBMC. What are your settings in XBMC for audio output? Can you play any sounds in Ubuntu (that is, outside of XBMC?)
Yep, just standard 2.0 Analog Sound via a 3.5mm Jack Wink
My Geforce 9500GT has NO HDMI Interface. Just VGA and DVI.

With a fresh installation of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS everything works fine with my audio. After applying the newest Patches and Kernel Update still everything is fine, even after a reboot. BUT directly after installing any kind of Nvidia graphic Driver (eigther directly over the Ubunt "Hardware Driver" Application or manually with the latest Drivers from the Nvidia Homepage) my Sound is broken.

In the Sound Preferences from Ubuntu, things still look fine. Hardware is set to "Internal Audio" with Profile "Analog Stereo Duplex" and under the Output Tab it's set to "Internal Audio Analog Stereo" and "Analog Output" as Connector [Same setting as it was already working before driver installation]. All Volume Levels are unmuted and at 100% as my Sound Sytem, too.

regards, crasher

Update: Just tried Ubuntu 10.10 Installation and still the same Problem. Everything is fine till i install Nvidia Driver. :-(
Ok .. if everything works fine first, and is messed up after the nvidia-driver-installation, u should check what could have changed.
Post the output from

"aplay -L & aplay -l"

Before and after driver installation and check the "/home/user/.asoundrc" and /etc/asound.conf files bfore and after driver installation.

this should give is a way to handle the problem.
Hi,

both configfiles are missing before and after.

BEFORE:
------------------------
mediastation@media-center:~$ aplay -L & aplay -I
[1] 1615
pulse
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
HDA ATI SB, ALC889A Analog
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0
HDA ATI SB, ALC889A Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

AFTER:
------------
mediastation@media-center:~$ aplay -L & aplay -I
[1] 1661
aplay: playbackv:2585: You need to specify 1 files
mediastation@media-center:~$ pulse
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
front:CARD=SB,DEV=0
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=SB,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=SB,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=SB,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=SB,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=SB,DEV=0
HDA ATI SB, ALC889A Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
Hi,

maybe I should give it a try and buy a new GeForce G 210 to use Sound over HDMI. Are there any common Problemems with Nvidia GPU and Sound over HDMI?

regards, crasher
Hi, I don't see any reference to Nvidia in the aplay output, just ATI... Are you sure this system has an Nvidia graphics subsystem?
gmozilla Wrote:Post the output from

"aplay -L & aplay -l"

what gmozilla meant, of course, is that you post output of

Quote:aplay -L

AND

Quote:aplay -l

but as the contentwhore already mentioned, there's no nvidia HDMI device to be seen anywhere, which is completely normal because the 9500GT has no internal audio codec, it can only do SPDIF passthrough with the motherboard connector. go and check the manual.

you have no more analog audio because the audio setting inside of XBMC may point to the wrong alsa device after upgrading the nvidia drivers.

IF you want HDMI video&audio bitstreaming, either do the internal SPDIF passthrough or get a G210 instead of the 9500GT.

p.s. the ATI device is the mainboard chipset