Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] How do i setup a game controller for use with ZSNES, Advanced Launcher, etc.?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So how do i go about setting up a controller. I went ahead and installed zsnes, via apt-get. Installed advanced launcher. got my roms found..... i goto load up and i cannot get to the controller setup... any ideas?
ok if i removed the remove gui option, i can set it up. im still wondering how i could get a button on my controller mapped to close zsnes and go back to xbmc
I have a ps2 type controller and I use the L2 button to exit out. I'm pretty sure its in one of the menu options, (just not the configure input window like you would think. Maybe it was labeled Misc? Anyway, thats just from memory). Unfortunately I'm in the process of rebuilding my rig and I'm waiting for a power supply to come in the mail, so I won't be able to boot it up and get access to it until tomorrow. Feel free to PM me if you run into troubles and I will be able to give you more info.
That's not a half bad idea.
Does anyone have any controller working with the Wii Classic controller? It's pretty much the only controller I have in the house that would be up to the task.

I'm envisioning launching a ROM with any of the wonderful scripts available, then powering on the WiiMote and playing games until I quit back to XBMC.
After playing with this some more here are a couple more issues.

A) How could I make LIRC lose focus of XBMC and that way i could use my Remote IR Controller to program exiting the game, etc.

b) My tv only seems to accept 480p via the DVI port. It is an older HDtv projection. I'm fine with this. My issues is this. I Have zsnes set to 640x480. Full Screen. The image is shifted to the right a little bit. Is there a way i could fix this?
exit with zsnes:
While you're setting up the keys just click on "MISC" and see the "Exit" line with the three green ---. Click there and press an unused button on your gamepad. From now on you'll exit with that button! I'm still playing around but I'm sure there's a way to enable save/load states with a button press.
Remember to launch it without the -m parameter - then when you press esc key you get the zsnes gui and can configure the gamepad/controller.

mednafen (nes gameboy)

nano /home/xbmc/.mednafen/mednafen.cfg

and look for this line: nes.input.port1.gamepad.a

Take everything following that line. Then find these lines

;Exit
command.exit keyboard 293~joystick 1c848bd15bdf6fa7 00000002

Now how i did was that i went into the gui config of mednafen, assigned my desired exxit button to the fire function.
Then i found out by opening the mednafen.cfg which id that was listed under fire. then i cpied that button id and pasted it on the command exit line
saved the file and went back into the gui and set the proper fire button.
well i've had no problem doing that. I would like to be able to use my Remote Control to exit it. This way im not accidentally hitting buttons. You'd be surprised how much a 9yr old will tend to do this. =)

Basicly i would like for xbmc to lose the LIRC focus so i can use one of my Remotes buttons to exit the emulator.
darkscout Wrote:Does anyone have any controller working with the Wii Classic controller? It's pretty much the only controller I have in the house that would be up to the task.

I'm envisioning launching a ROM with any of the wonderful scripts available, then powering on the WiiMote and playing games until I quit back to XBMC.

From what I've seen on the internet you can't hook up a classic wii controller directly to a computer.

I know you can pick up SNES controllers with USB that look like plug and play.
I use irxevent to close mupen64 with my remote when i play. I'm at work so i'll post the method if you want tonight.

Bibi
bibi Wrote:I use irxevent to close mupen64 with my remote when i play. I'm at work so i'll post the method if you want tonight.

Bibi

Still waiting on that =)
Irexec is one possibility, but you can do it easier by editing your keymap (lirc) like posted in this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86630
worked like a charm! exactly what i was looking for. thanks!