Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC on the Giada N20
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I've written-up some notes on configuring XBMC-Live on the Giada N20. This is a nice little Atom/ION machine with built-in IR that can do 1080p and HDMI:

http://haltcondition.net/?p=2455

Questions and corrections welcome.

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks Steve for this little write up. The N20 is a very nice little machine for both XBMC Live and Windows 7. The only problem I had was the audio and you mentioned how to set XBMC correctly for it to work.

My only question now is, how do I exit XBMC from the Live install to modify or add the file that is needed so I get UI sounds? Yes, I am a Linux NOOB.

Thanks for any help
If you can ssh into the machine (use putty) you should be able to do just paste the following command:

echo ‘pcm.!default { type plug slave { pcm “hw:1,3″ } } ‘ > ~/.asoundrc

That said, now I’ve used it for a while I’ve noticed the UI sounds sometimes disappear.
TarkaSteve Wrote:Hi,

I've written-up some notes on configuring XBMC-Live on the Giada N20. This is a nice little Atom/ION machine with built-in IR that can do 1080p and HDMI:

http://haltcondition.net/?p=2455

Questions and corrections welcome.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,

How quiet is it? Newegg claim "Silent Operation under 26dB"
It's not completely silent; the fans are audible but it's far from intrusive. It's certainly quieter than the v1 Xbox it replaced.
Not bad..... my friend might get this and try win 7 / 64bit on it.... I hope it works for him.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856176006
I am considering this box for an XBMC platform. I am glad you got the HDMI audio working.

Has anyone been able to get audio output from the SPDIF optical port? I would really like to have simultaneous audio output over HDMI and the optical port. I don't want to have the TV on to listen to .mp3 audio files.
Hello, thanks to Steve for the write up and the XMBC community in general for all of the great work and info available.

I picked up an N20 a couple of weeks ago and I'm very pleased to date. Using the latest version of XBMC Live. Aside from a couple of SMB and some remote issues - everything has worked right out of the box.

Some of my observations and comments:

- definitely very quiet and great form factor.

- the optical worked right out of the box for me. My AVR receiver is incapable of passing audio via HDMI so I cannot comment if you can get it working on both HDMI and Optical at the same time.

- the remote as mentioned by Steve is strange. Part of the reason I picked this unit up was the integrated IR receiver. But based on my novice debugging it appears that only some of the keys are being registered by XBMC. As Steve mentioned most of the core keys work out of the box but some of the other ones do not - like the number pad.

- As a workaround, I created a user keymap.xml file that utilizes all of the numeric keys since they are recognized in XBMC and I really don't use them for my day to day viewing.

example

1 = audio delay +
2 = audio delay -
3 = small step back
etc..

- I then mapped all of the numeric numbers to specific buttons on my Harmony remote.
I just did a total reinstall of xbmc live XBMCbuntu. I had 10 installed before. I remember following this to get audio working but I can not seem to get this working with XBMCbuntu. Any one been able to get audio on the giada n20 with the new version?
I am running Openelec (OpenELEC-ION.i386-devel-20120322051051-r10254.tar.bz2)
http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/ope...54.tar.bz2

I will post the Audio config later, but from memory you copy the Shuttle GT audio config, set the audio to custom, then plughw:1,7

Will post the full guide tonight.

Is there a reason for XBMCBuntu over Openelec?
I ran across xbmc a while ago, gave it a try, had been using myth before and have tried boxee. I like the simple interface. I keep all my media on a server and did not like the boxee interface. I might just try openelec but I would like to get the new version of xbmc a try, other than the weather issue with the past version I did not really have any reason to try anything else.
Openelec is the OS under XBMC.

Much like Ubuntu is the OS under XBMC (XBMCLive / XBMCBuntu)

Openelec is faster booting, and is much more user friendly for non-linux users. It will turn your PC into a media appliance.

The link provided has the most up to date version, and is probably Eden RC2. I imagine that within a week or so, the openelec guys will have a stable Eden based distro. Upgrades are easy, just drag two files into a share on the box and reboot.

I did some reading and I am interested in trying it, my only concearn at this point is, would I still have the same audio issue? If so the ubuntu option give me more options for troubleshooting.
I have my Giada N20 working with HDMI.

My scenario is simple, Giada N20 connected to a Samsung 46" TV via HDMI. Thats it, no amp, no external speakers.

I get working sound for everthing:
Menu Sounds
5.1/DTS etc get downsampled to Stereo (what the TV can do)

I have not tried to get the SPDIF/Optical working as I have no need, but I suspect it would be similar.

PS - The Optical and HDMI ports are VERY close together on this unit, so you might want to ensure that your cables are not to chunky if you plan to use HDMI and SPDIF at the same time.
I just got it working. I installed OpenElec (5 minut job) then played with the settings, could not get any working. Read the thread about the aplay -l and started trying custom. It worked with hw:1,7. Now just cant wait for the updated. Runs so much faster than the live install I had before.
Pages: 1 2