Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Some TV shows add, others do not?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi guys,

So, I've just got XBMC with the Aeon skin and let me firstly say it is an amazing programme and functions almost perfectly. Great job.

However, that said, I'm having some issues with some TV show episodes not adding into the library. This seems to be somewhat of an arbritrary problem as the files that add same to be identical to those that don't. For example:

File 1 is located here:

H:\TV\The Wire\The Wire - 1x01 - The Target\The.Wire.S01E01.DVDRIP.x264 along with a .NFO and .TBN and shows up fine in XBMC.

File 2 is located here:

H:\TV\The Wire\The Wire - 1x02 - The Detail\The.Wire.S01E02.DVDRIP.x264 along with a .NFO and .TBN but does NOT show up in XBMC.

As far as I can tell both filenames/paths etc. are identical (except the episode number obviously) so I don't understand why XBMC finds one but not the other. I have tried removing the file from XBMC's watched library, refreshing it, adding the file back again and re-refreshing XBMC which doesn't seem to help.

(I did notice that a manual refresh via the context menu seems to pick up more stuff than the auto startup refresh for some reason - but not this).

Some other TV shows have added perfectly and they have completely different folder/file naming between each episode which makes it even more bizzare...

Movies seem to work perfectly every time.

Any thought on why some files won't add despite being apparently identical to ones which do?

Thanks & keep up the good work Big Grin
I am having the same problem here. Some episodes add and some do not.
Try and put all files in one folder, and what ever folder you put it in rename it to The Wire.
Do that and post if it worked or not.
Ditch the 3rd folder level (The Wire - 1x01 - The Target etc), its superfluous and not needed and may be confusing the scraper. Are the nfo and tbn files generated by a 3rd party app - if so it may be that the nfo is missing vital scraping information, this can happen with unofficial unsupported 3rd party apps. If they are, delete the nfo and tbn files and let xbmc scrape, it does an excellent job and there really isn't a need for 3rd party apps to control this.
West Lothian eh, used to stay in Edinburgh myself.

So, played about with this some more. Still no luck.

Have tried various things in an attempt to fix this including:

1) Removing the show from XBMC, changing folder structure to be ShowName\Showname.sxxexx.avi, deleting .NFO & .TBN files, relaunching XBMC, scanning for new media, it finds the show and gets some fanart & thumbnails however does not register any episodes being present. Presumably the fanart is generated from the folder name rather than a file name search. N.B. that not even the files which were originally OK show up anymore.

2) As above, but with folder path ShowName\Season X\Showname.sxxexx.avi. Same result - fan art appears but no episodes.

For both cases no new .NFO or .TBN files appear.

Also tried the above with a full system reboot in the middle in case there was some cache file kicking about or something which wasn't shutting down along with XBMC - same result.

Neither auto refresh nor manual pick anything new up.

I've done all the above steps for two TV shows which are misbehaving and both with the same result, yet as mentioned other have added perfectly under the original folder structure despite being a total mess wiith some files in Showname\showname.sxxexx.avi, other under showname\episodename\showname.sxx.exx.avi etc etc.

So, I guess my questions are these:

Should XBMC be creating .NFO's as soon as it finds a file without an associated .NFO which it then uses to scrape via TVDB. If so, looks like XBMC is not picking up the files for some reason seen as no new .NFO's appear. Odd though seen as others pick up fine.

If not, should I be creating my own .NFO's before adding a show to XBMC via MediaManager/other 3rd party software?

Have I missed a setting somewhere in XBMC? I have things like get actor thumbnails, update library on startup, extract thumbnails & video information, clean file & folder names, enable fallback based on scrape language all turned on.

What's this .TBN extension all about?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, all files show up fine in library mode, however my presumption is that this is just a built in explorer rather than tied to any XBMC generated database.
I guess you mean that all files show up in file mode, right? because it doesnt make sense if its in the library and not in file mode.

I have the same problem here - also using aeon 65 skin, some seasons show up, others doesnt.
Yip Whitburn.

First things first - you're gonna have to do some reading, particularly regarding set-up - see here for some excellent information http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38964

Get your files into a reasonable structure, something like this

x:\TV Shows\The Wire\Season x\S01E01.DVDRIP.x264, making sure the naming convention matches the entries in the tvdb. Rename episodes taking out the reference to the show name in the file name - no need for it.

You mentioned already in your OP that you had nfo and tbn files included, where were they generated from - delete all reference to them and start with a clean slate. XBMC does not natively generate these entries unless you decided to backup your database to individual entries at which point it will place an nfo, tbn and fan-art file with the TV Show.

Already suggested that you ditch any 3rd party apps, these are more trouble than there worth in my opinion (though others will disagree), guess you must have missed that part.

Have a read at the How to.. I linked to, if you still have problems after that, post a debug log while attemtpting to scrape - see here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708
Thanks for the links. I've not used any, nor intend to use any, third party programmes. Was just wondering whether that would help by generating .NFO's, but that's irrelevant now as below:

Had a further play around with this. I was unwilling to go about renaming all the folders/files as I was struggling to see this as the problem given that the vast majority of shows added in just fine with the slightly choatic naming scheme - so feeling that it was an issue with the library updating correctly I removed the entire TV directory from the video sources.

I then re-added the source and hey-presto everything appears. This includes the 'problematic' show with its original folder/naming structure as TV\Showname\Season X\Showname.sxxexx.avi. It is also working fine when different episodes in one season have different naming conventions e.g. Showname\showname.sxxexx.avi & Showname\showname.see.avi or are a mixture of showname\showname.sxxexx.avi and showname\episodename\showname.sxxexx.avi etc.

AFAIK I added the source with exactly the same settings as used previously, so I'm not entirely sure what is different, but it seems to be working picking up, as far as I can tell, all my shows (1035 detected, expect approx. 1114 (390GB/350MB average)) which seems reasonably accurate given some are in 720p rips.

The auto startup scan is also now apparently working as well.

So, all in all, removing and readding the source seemed to fix it. Quite why that should be I don't know but its working now ;D
Same thing happens to me. I find that it happens more so when adding new episodes to pre-existing season folders or adding a missing episode to a directory.

Nothing seems to solve it but removing the show from the library then updating the library.
oops..someone already covered my reply...
Any update on why this may be occurring? It's a terrible pain to have to remove a show from my library and re-add it just so the newest episode will show up in xbmc

For me, there is no .nfo file or anything for the new episode, just simply the properly named video file in the directory. The file shows up under "Videos --> Files" but simply does not show up in the library.

My only solutions to date are to remove the individual show (the entire series) or the directory source, then update the library or re-add the source.

I'm running XBMC 10 on Win 7x64.
Guess you missed the debug log requirement part?
Sorry, I didn't think the debug would really help as it scans the directory but says there is no new shows...

http://pastebin.com/LbrDNdyS
More details in how I work around the problem:

It appears I have to scrape the shows in Ember, then remove the source, then re-add the source is order for the file to be in the library. Prior to running Ember, I have only the .avi file for the episode (no .nfo, .tbn, etc). I posted the error log above. Any ideas?

I dont think "quit using ember" will suffice, as ember seems to be fixing the problem. Using ember doesn't explain why it would add random episodes to the library, unless it has something to do with the season .nfo file that Ember is generating?? (do season .nfo files link to other episode files?)
Can anyone help on this? It continues to happen...
Pages: 1 2