Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Disable "Enhanced" Keyboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

Running XBMC 10 on a Windows 7 box. Is there a way to turn off XBMC's support for the "enhanced' multimedia keyboard buttons? (e.g. play, pause, rewind, mail) ?

I tried deleting anything in keyboard.xml that looked related.

Full story is that I bought one of the new Tivo slide remotes. The arrow keys for the menu are (to me, anyway) located in an uncomfortable spot, where the function keys (play, pause, etc) are in a much better location. I have them mapped in EventGhost to be arrow keys, but when I press the "Up" button, it sends a "play" command as well as an up command - this breaks the navigation.

I tried disabling the keys in several different programs, but none of the changes seem to have applied - I think they were misapplied to another wireless keyboard, with no option within any of the programs to pick a specific keyboard. Or, it's possible that this remote is using a weird code - "Play" and "Pause" are seperate, dedicated buttons, where on a standard multimedia keyboard, they are one button.

Any help would be appreciated - this is driving me nuts!
Check keyboard.xml.
itsameta4 Wrote:Running XBMC 10 on a Windows 7 box. Is there a
way to turn off XBMC's support for the "enhanced' multimedia keyboard buttons? (e.g. play, pause, rewind, mail) ?

Probably not I'm afraid.

The multimedia keys send a standard WM_KEYDOWN message like any other key. However Windows intercepts these keypresses and converts them to a WM_APPCOMMAND message. The end result is that XBMC doesn't receive a key press message, it receives an APPCOMMAND message. If you turn on debug logging you'll see the message in the log.

The APPCOMMAND messages cannot be configured through an XML file, because they're generally unambiguous e.g. if XBMC receives a "Play" APPCOMMAND message that is always interpreted as an instruction to start playing.

JR
Oh, I should probably follow this up, totally forgot I posted anything here.

Best way to do this, for anyone listening: There's a Windows service that handles that stuff - set it to "disabled" and you're golden.

start>run>services.msc
Find "Human Interface Device Access" and disable it.

Your keyboards, remotes, etc, should all work fine. (At least mine did - logitech wireless keyboard/mouse combo, Tivo Slide remote). Hopes this helps.