Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need Some Help On Audio - Please Im A Noob:(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,
Ok so heres the problem. I just bought a apple tv Generation 1. Installed XBMC using a patchstick etc. Added all my library.

Nowww..
When i play any of my old movies (around 700megs, and running steero sound it works) but when playing the rest of my collection (which movies are around 3 gigs and running AC3 5.1) a loud high tone machine gun sort of noise is all i get from these. Iv tried to fiddle with the settings and all i get it sometimes no sound with bigger movies.
Any ideas, was really excited about getting xbmc and now i cant run 99% of my collection..

The apple tv is connected to my Sony Bravia via HDMI.
I used to have a WDTV Live conected and it played everything. So im guessing its not the TV?

Can someone let me know if im doing something wrong or what settings i should be using as im a bit of a noob.
Thanks all!
"a loud high tone machine gun sort of noise", your Sony Bravia via HDMI is not an AC3 compatible receiver, turn these settings off.
hi when you say turn them off do you mean in xbmc? cause i did that then i lost all sound to those movies and could only see video.
select 'downmix multichannel audio to stereo' in xbmc.
Another noob here after much searching I can not find this option I got rid of machine gun but now no sound at all
hi all,
just to update you guys on whats going on.
i tried all the audio settings.. (and all combinations) still had no luck.
so i decided to move the apple tv to a samsung lcd (series 6)
sound is now working on my whole collection.
apprantley my NEW! sony bravia lcd cant decode the sound but my samsung canHuh dont know exaclty what is going on here but seems to be the tv which is really strange becuase the movies played through the WDTV LIVE (running of ps3 media server) previously??

im guessing either ps3 media server converted the sound of the wdtv had something the apple tv doesntHuh can anyone confirm or give any info on this?
thanks!
You need to set XBMC output to Analogue so that the ATV sends PCM tracks to your Tv
I am not aware of any TV sets receiving AC3 through HDMI so you are not alone is a pretty standard case
hi mate i tried setting it to analog and then i got no sound at all just mute.
I have still been messing with the menus trying to find some combination that will work, has anyone found the fix to this issue yet?
Thanks
try playing a movie trailer from the apple website in Quicktime and VLC

See if you get any sound using hdmi
Jonsonjj once you have set the atv to analogue you need to output the audio from the phono outputs on the rear of the ATV this goes into you TV audio inputs. If it does not have any then you are stuffed Wink
The last comment got me thinking so once I was home I tried to run RCA audio in parallel with the hdmi cable, but still no audio. But upon switching inputs on the tv there was sound. So I disconnected the hdmi cable from the tv and but left the hdmi as the tv input and got no pic, but sound, but as soon as I plug hdmi back in, I have pic but no sound. I tried several combinations of cables etc. But what is finally working is component video and RCA audio. I am going to fool with it some more, but the frustrating part in this is that I did not have to do this prior to 10.0.
Hey,

Like you - any video files with Dolby Digital audio give me the 'loud machine gun noise' out of the box, or silence when I play around with my system audio settings. I'm simply connecting my ATV to my Sony Bravia using HDMI. Video files with MP3 audio run through and audio plays back just fine...

Frustratingly this has only happened since I upgraded to v10

I can play the same files in Boxee, Nito etc. without a problem.

Anyone had any joy with this ?

Just looking around the forums - these symptoms seem the same as I am experiencing : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76415
Does the Sony Bravia using HDMI support AC3 or DTS native decode ? If not then turn those off.
It does not no, so I have those options already disabled and get only silence from any Dolby Audio video file no matter what Speaker Configuration I have set...

When audio output is set to Analog (and as you know AC3 and DTS is disabled automatically), again I only get silence from these video files no matter what Speaker Configuration I select.

As per my previous post, non-Dolby audio (e.g. MP3) plays just fine...

Cheers
Pages: 1 2