Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ubuntu minimal won't boot if usb drive removed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I just finished the instalation of the ubuntu minimal using a usb drive for my ubuntuxbmc but if i remove the usb drive after instalation i just keep getting grub error 15, it only boots when the usd drive used for the instalation is conencted :mad:. I tried updating the grup using a life cd but nothing... any idea of what's wrong with my system. what am'i doing wrong.Confused

Im desperate.
I guess you installed the bootloader to the USB...
It should be possible to fix... but not with an update, there is another command like grub-install or something. It takes the disk as parameter probably /dev/sda.

What you can also do is to re-run the installation in expert mode and answer no to question "install bootloader to first HD" and then point it to the correct unit /dev/sd?
or simply once you booted from the usb drive, remove the usb drive (guessing you use the usb drive for installation only)
I had the same problem! The problem is, that Ubuntu install the grub on the USB drive! A little Bug! Just do the installation again, and after all is booted from the USB stick, remove it, during the installation! Then grub will detect your HD as your first drive!
thanks for the support.. that did the trick... I was frustrated for 2 days reinstaling and reinstaling. Thanks...Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin