Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is there an official 'XBMC Remote for iPhone' app from Team-XBMC on the App Store?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:And don’t forget to check out the iPhone and Android XBMC remotes, they’re the perfect companion to your mediacenter.

So I know about the offical Android one, there's also a subforum for it, but when I search on the Appstore I get lots of different results and most of them cost quite much (to Appstore standards).

So is there an official one and if not, can someone recommend which is the best?

I wonder though why all those people may use the official XBMC logo and charge money for their 3rd party add-on, is this even allowed?
there's no official xbmc remote on iphone, and i believe there won't be.
apple store's rules are not in the mood with the xbmc project.
As far as I know there is no "official" iPhone XBMC remote app.

Personally I've tried a few.
* Probably the best free one is XBMoteC, though this is pretty rough 'n' ready compared to the paid apps.
* The last paid remote app I tried was iXBMC. Which is fairly good, but there are some bits which just don't seem to work properly, though the overall look and feel of it are quite good.
* Of the ones I've tried I think that my remote of choice would still be "XBMC Remote" from Collect3, which looks fairly good, and seems to work pretty well. It's probably the app that's been established the longest, but as one of the iTunes reviews states it's "very much a dead end development wise". There may have been a bug fix or two, but there haven't been any significant updates for as long as I can remember having it (well over a year) which is what led me to try other apps in the first place.
* I haven't given it a go yet so can't vouch for how well it works but XBMC Controller looks like another good option and has the bonus of an integrated search feature. It's also a bit cheaper than the XBMC remote app
I use XBMoteC, it's free (even though they added ads in the latest update) and works well.

I would only pay for one if there was an official one from XBMC.
Ok thanks for your replies. Although the news text lead me to believe that the Android Version got ported over.

I don't think it's due to the Appstore's rules that we don't have an official one seeing as we have a lot of clones there already.
falc410 Wrote:Ok thanks for your replies. Although the news text lead me to believe that the Android Version got ported over.

I don't think it's due to the Appstore's rules that we don't have an official one seeing as we have a lot of clones there already.

Appstores rules are not compatible with GPL, we cannot port the android version even if we wanted...
ppic Wrote:there's no official xbmc remote on iphone, and i believe there won't be.
apple store's rules are not in the mood with the xbmc project.

Smacks head on table.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbmc-remo...16916?mt=8

Enough Said!
7h351cp17 Wrote:Smacks head on table.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xbmc-remo...16916?mt=8

Enough Said!

still not an official...
so please go and smacks yourself.
Is a Cydia version out of the question? as that's what they did to get around GPL issues with VLC Player I believe and I'm sure most XBMC iPhone users are Jail Breaked.
Aren't the ios versions of xbmc on ipad, atv, iphone/ipod against apple's rules as well?
CyberAxe Wrote:Is a Cydia version out of the question? as that's what they did to get around GPL issues with VLC Player I believe and I'm sure most XBMC iPhone users are Jail Breaked.

afaik cydia and jailbroken is GPL compatible, however how interesting is it really to have an official remote and require a jailbroken device Smile
topfs2 Wrote:afaik cydia and jailbroken is GPL compatible, however how interesting is it really to have an official remote and require a jailbroken device Smile

At least as interesting as having an official idevices release and require a jailbroken device? Wink

If there's already an Android version that could be ported i think a lot of people would really like it, especially considering there doesn't seem to be a decent paid version.
First off, the reason for the xbmc version is that someone took the time and did the port (davilla) it was not like the team said, yeah this is awesome and perfect lets aim for idevices which are jailbroken. In fact most devs would never have done it because they don't see the point with running on jailbroken device. I somewhat agree with that and if someone takes the time to port the remote sure thats all good and nice but doubt many wants to. Now when davilla have taken the time to do the port and is actively supporting it, it can be officially supported.

Secondly, which is the bigger thing AND has been covered so many times already its tiring. Its written in java, and highly coupled with android libraries. Porting is NOT simple, in fact its easier to rewrite it all. The core gathering of the data is AFAIK rather non-android specific but it is still java so it makes no sense at all on ios.

If a dev on the team decides its worth his time to do a remote and support it, then yeah we could have a supported and official remote. It is only official if someone goes and states he will support it, which is what the android remote was. I began it then others joined and helped and they are now apart of the team actively supporting it (I don't dev on it anymore) and thus it became officially supported. Same could happen with iPhone but I doubt you'll gain many devs since it is impossible to have it GPL licensed.
@topfs2 If you send it to Appstore and make it availabe through Cydia at the same time than it is GPL?

Guys that are making various unofficial remotes could join team instead and, I belive, get support and help from devs. They would loose their 2 bucks per download though. But would this be such a deal breaker??
pecinko Wrote:@topfs2 If you send it to Appstore and make it availabe through Cydia at the same time than it is GPL?

Guys that are making various unofficial remotes could join team instead and, I belive, get support and help from devs. They would loose their 2 bucks per download though. But would this be such a deal breaker??

We would never make anything closed source official, that makes no sense. Money has nothing to do with it. You are within your right to charge for open source software if you wish (granted you follow the license).

And no, it does not matter if its available on cydia or not, it is still not acceptable to GPL in normal app store. The GPL license is available online I suggest reading it through.
EDIT: http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vl...77486.html
Pages: 1 2