Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: The mythical All-Automated Windows Setup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been fiddling off and on for the last year trying to have a Windows XP Box function as XBMC, Torrent, and TED all-in-one. Unsuccessfully. THe main things I run into are:

TED is unreliable. It's the best of what's out there, but regularly pulls Daily Shows packed with other files, misses Flashpoint and V, and refuses to download known good feeds because the tracker returned no information. I am looking into using EZRSS.it feeds, but then uTorrent wants to grab everything in the feed. I am currently using it for some, TED for what Ted can do.

uTorrent doesn't separate types easily. If I add a torrent from a remote system (saving into a monitored folder), it pulls it fine, but won't save it into the correct directory (tv or movie) unless I then go to the server and put a torrent label on it. I just found the SortTV app from here which may make a big difference in that arena. Any feedback?

CouchPotato may solve my movie issues. It now works with torrents and seems to grab just fine after setup. Coupled with SortTV it may do everything I need there.

I was thinking of running seperate instances of uTorrent for Movies and TV, but that seems like a bigger pain. Anyone dealt with that, or is there a better client for labeling/sorting?
My advice is to pay for a newsgroup. Faster and safer.

Ithink a lot of people are using SABnzbD to download and unpack automatically from their newsgroup. Combining that with Sick Beard for TV shows and Couch Potato for movies, you get a pretty lazy, hassle-free setup.

Torrents are just a pain in the arse in my opinion, only look to them for really old stuff.
Couldn't agree more.

Since swapping Torrents for Newsgroups I've never looked back.

Sabnzbd, Sickbeard and Couch Potato all do a great job of automating this stuff and are designed to integrate well with XBMC.

Search the forums for recommendations on News Server providers. Some are much better then others. Watch for the number of days things are retained for (retention period), SSL support and the amount of data you are allowed to download. Personally I use Supernews but I've heard Giganews is also good. Worth checking providers out before subscribing with anyone.
Newsgroups can certainly be more efficient at first... With the right filters in utorrent and proper setup of rss feeds from ezrss and some of the scripts posted in the forums you can have just as smooth as setup as with a Sab Sick Couch, for free. Smile But these types of conversations are better on forums other than here.
Newgroups + sabNZBd + Sickbeard + CouchPotato

Double Rainbow, All The Way!
*sigh* I was afraid of that. I just hate going back to newsgroups. Ok, thanks for the input!
Is sickbeard good for torrents? I have essentially everything sent up via rss feeds in uTorrent. Can I benefit from sickbeard?
I use utorrent and ezrss and have no problems. Though I just use the latest shows rss and utorrent filter and auto assign torrent labels so they all end up in the right folders. There is even a way to get utorrent to auto update your library when it completes a download. Works great!!
Yeah, the more I looked into it, TED is really not helping me much. I can ezrss most all my shows, which lets them drop in the right folders, and it's much more reliable (TED tells me it can't get tracker info way too often). I think I can get pretty close to what I want with uTorrent, ezrss, Couchpotato, and SortTV. Now if I could just get daily replays of Pardon the Interruption....
mstephans Wrote:Yeah, the more I looked into it, TED is really not helping me much. I can ezrss most all my shows, which lets them drop in the right folders, and it's much more reliable (TED tells me it can't get tracker info way too often). I think I can get pretty close to what I want with uTorrent, ezrss, Couchpotato, and SortTV. Now if I could just get daily replays of Pardon the Interruption....

In TED you can edit the feeds it uses to only use ezrss. If you turn off the filter (set seeders required to 0), then you shoudn't get the tracker info errors. TED fires up your torrent program whenever a new episode is available.

Tell your torrent program to move completed downloads to another folder.

Set up my SortTV script to sort your folders and update XBMC automatically.

Hey presto Smile

Only thing you would have to do manually is sort out any movies. Currently looking into adding movie sorting to SortTV. Have a look at the SortTV thread if you want to help out.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=6...post689660
I used ezrss for a couple of years, but I hated it.

When it works, it works really well, but the whole system is based on manual input (on the server side), meaning the moderators have to manually add each episode to their rss feeds. Some episodes get forgotten and missed. Their forums are the worst I have ever seen on any site. You can't create new threads. You can only post in one of the existing 4 or 5 threads and your post gets ignored. If they miss an episode, you can't just let them know. It required constant work for me to manually check and update. It just wasn't reliable.

Not to mention, every few months, ezrss has an outage that lasts several days, (usually in the fall when the new seasons of shows start) and the episodes that air during that time never get added to the rss feeds afterwards.

I switched to usenet+sabnzbd+sickbeard+couchpotato a couple months ago, and could not be happier. No more fiddling, all episodes get added as soon as they're available, download speeds are always maxed out, no more copyright infringement letters from isp and even my wife can easily go to imdb and add movies to couchpotato with the greasemonkey userscript.

I wish I had switched sooner. . .
I keep reading that if I set seeders to zero I won't get errors, and I keep setting seeders to zero and I keep getting errors. I have gone to the set all feeds and used that toggle to set all seeders to Zero. And yet I regularly get "Error verifying torrent contents: the tracker returned no information." This has been happening with episode two of The Cape for days now.