Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC very laggy (even just the menus)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just installed XBMC and it's extremely laggy. Just navigating around the front end has like a 2 second delay on everything I do. Also when I play a video it's playing at like 1 frame every 3 seconds.

On the same machine I can play the same video perfectly fine in VLC. Also I have MythTV and there is no lag in the menus.

What I'm wondering is, do I just have some kind of issue that can likely be fixed, Or, is XBMC just very demanding and more high end compared to mythtv or VLC?

I could not get mythtv to work properly, even from a fresh install the video and audio playback are messed up (video runs fast, audio is out of sync, etc) so I was hoping I could use xbmc instead.

I am running Mythbuntu, on a Dell inspiron 1150. It has a Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz and 256 megs of ram. I realize that is not good enough to play HD video and I'm not trying to play HD video.

Should xbmc be able to run smoothly on that hardware? (if my computer is no where near good enough for xbmc then any additional info like all that stuff the sticky asks for would be irrelevant at this point imo)
blud Wrote:I just installed XBMC and it's extremely laggy. Just navigating around the front end has like a 2 second delay on everything I do. Also when I play a video it's playing at like 1 frame every 3 seconds.

On the same machine I can play the same video perfectly fine in VLC. Also I have MythTV and there is no lag in the menus.

What I'm wondering is, do I just have some kind of issue that can likely be fixed, Or, is XBMC just very demanding and more high end compared to mythtv or VLC?

I could not get mythtv to work properly, even from a fresh install the video and audio playback are messed up (video runs fast, audio is out of sync, etc) so I was hoping I could use xbmc instead.

I am running Mythbuntu, on a Dell inspiron 1150. It has a Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz and 256 megs of ram. I realize that is not good enough to play HD video and I'm not trying to play HD video.

Should xbmc be able to run smoothly on that hardware? (if my computer is no where near good enough for xbmc then any additional info like all that stuff the sticky asks for would be irrelevant at this point imo)

You need more ram and turn off composting (Compiz)
Seriously? That's it?

Is xbmc really so piggish that it can't run the menus smoothly on a machine that has no problem playing non-hd videos smoothly and running other apps with menus smoothly?

Anything I can do to get it to run smoothly or to see whats up with it?

Note that on the exact same computer I can run a video perfectly smoothly in VLC but when I run the same video in XBMC it runs at 1 frame every 3 seconds. Clearly it's a problem with xbmc (or some setting within) not the hardware.

Thanks
Your hardware does not have the video card with hardware graphic acceleration that XBMC uses for the interface. Your hardware is just to old and slow with not enough memory or a fast enough video card. Sorry.

If you're only using SD video, I'd get a modded Xbox and just use that. You'll have a much better and perfectly smooth experience with the interface and video.
Too bad there isn't a light weight media center program out there. It follows that there isn't since you need a good machine to play HD video though. Oh well.
Not so sure about this - XBMC should play on practically anything.

Make sure your running Dharma Final (DXVA Enabled version).
Make sure you drivers are up to date, especially your Graphics driver.
Make sure Hardware acceleration is enabled in Settings > Video.
Turn OFF audio processing (Analogue Stereo only in low end Laptops - usually default).

At your next opportunity upgrade to at least 512Mb RAM. This should improve things a lot, a 1GB would be far better of course (about $20/£15 for old laptops off eBay!)

Your laptop probably has shared graphics memory - up it to the max in your BIOS to help improve graphic performance.

The spec of your laptop is low, but it IS comparable to the original XBox, which plays SD movies perfectly fine. I just think your Laptop or software is not installed to it's full potential...!

I know people using Pentium 4 systems with 512Mb for their XBMC, working perfectly (watching 720p). But they may have slightly better graphics cards...
DejaVu77 Wrote:Make sure your running Dharma Final (DXVA Enabled version).
Make sure Hardware acceleration is enabled in Settings > Video.
The Intel 82855 GME graphics card doesn't support hardware acceleration (DXVA).
Please post a debug log Smile
bobo1on1 Wrote:Please post a debug log Smile

I'm having a problem with my new install being laggy. Where are the debug logs stored? I've got crash logs, but they end with no info.
Edit: nevermind Reread the wiki.
kozzie Wrote:The Intel 82855 GME graphics card doesn't support hardware acceleration (DXVA).

Intel 82855 GME graphics are so terrible it probably barely supports the interface.

See, that is the whole trick with XBMC- to make it nice and pretty the interface needs real resources. I find any GPU weaker than a Nvidia 7300 GS/GMA 950 can't adequately handle the interface. That Intel GPU is literally maybe a fourth as powerful as a 7300 GS. Maybe. On the best day of its life.

Just won't cut it. Look to get a 8400 GS 512mb PCI card and not only will the interface fly, but you will have 1080p support too...
You should be getting more than 1 frame per 3 seconds though.
It might be running with mesa software rendering, the debug log will tell you.
bobo1on1 Wrote:It might be running with mesa software rendering, the debug log will tell you.

Mesa is doing some of the work surely. It has been a while since I messed with that particular version of GMA, but if I remember it correctly it doesn't even have full OpenGL support.

I mean, it is BAD. Like 1998-level hardware bad. Like 3D "decelerator" era bad. You try Compiz on one of those GMAs and it explodes into bits. A GMA 950 (which is worse than a Geforce 1) is lightyears better than it.
I'll take your word for it Smile
I had the same problem when my internet was down (but the network was still up) It seemed like it was trying to update the weather and all the other feeded and it just slowed the thing down to a crawl.