Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio stopped working on some files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This makes zero sense. ZERO.

Last night I watched a movie and several TV shows. Tonight I wanted to continue the series so I opened up XBMC and navigated to the next TV show. I start it up, and no audio. That's weird I think. I open up the same file in VLC, it works perfectly full audio full everything. I go back to xbmc, no audio. I open up the EXACT SAME FILES I was watching last night, no audio. Same movies same TV shows, no audio period. I restart my computer, xbmc, everything.

There is audio in the interface of xbmc, just nothing when video starts playing. I changed zero settings, did not restart the computer, it had not been touched since the previous night.

What is going on?? I'm so frustrated right now.
Lowporkwa, you'll need to provide some more info about your particular xbmc setup to get some help - there's too many unknown's about your system for anyone to suggest any fixes as it stands... have a look at: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655 (assuming you're running on a linux or live system)

That said, it sounds similar to an ongoing problem I have had (even after reinstalling Live Dharma). By any chance, did you suspend the PC between playing the original video and trying the new ones, or was the PC left running?

From a fresh install, it seems once I suspend and resume a few times, I lose sound (apart from passthrough audio) and in audio settings I have to change the main audio output from "Defaults" to "iec958" (I'm outputting over SPDIF) to get non-passthrough sounds back (but at the expense of loosing crossfading when playing music). Rebooting doesn't help either - the change seems permanent.

I haven't submitted a proper help request or bug report yet so I'm not sure of the actual cause, but the above workaround might help you if you're also running live.

Cheers,
Adam.
I think I'm having the same problem. I have the latest 10.0 Dharma release of XBMC live installed to my harddrive: XBMC 10.0 r35648 (Compiled Dec 17 2010).

Everything worked fine, but since today some TV shows just don't seem to have sound anymore (they definitely had sound before...). Your workaround doesn't seem to work for me Adam. It's very strange indeed.

Adam, I'm not an advanced user so sorry for probably not writing down all the proper information.
i experienced this a few times too. i had to play->stop->play.. a few times until the sound worked again.. very strange. wind 7 64bit, optical output.

but i wasnt able to reproduce it so i blamed windows for it .. but if other users noticed it too...
DaGround Wrote:i experienced this a few times too. i had to play->stop->play.. a few times until the sound worked again.. very strange. wind 7 64bit, optical output.

but i wasnt able to reproduce it so i blamed windows for it .. but if other users noticed it too...

I think I managed to fix it. I had to enter alsamixer and unmute the spdif options there... Somehow they where all muted.