Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: UFS file system disks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi all,
I am going to setup a media server wit XBMC Live and I have my videos saved on UFS formatted discs that I alredy used with FreeNAS.
I am wondering if XMBC can read these discs or not.

I found this patch to support UFS reading from Linux platform
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/ALPHA/ufs/!INDEX.html

is it possible to apply to the live installation?
and if someone knows... how?

many thanks for answers
UFS support is already included (as a module) in the ubuntu kernel.

You just need to:
Code:
sudo modprobe ufs

You may also need to install the ufsutils package (not sure about this):
Code:
sudo apt-get install ufsutils

Then, you should be able to mount your UFS filesystem.

The problem is that you will have read-only access to the filesystem, because the UFS module has been compiled with write support disabled. In order to get write support, you will need to reconfigure and recompile the kernel. I wouldn't suggest to try if you are not familiar with this kind of things.
Also, the lack of write support let me think that there are some kind of problems with it, maybe it is not enough stable or tested, so you may risk to trash your filesystem.

Anyway, you could still mount the filesystem read-only, copy the content to a temporary location and then format your HDD with a different filesystem.
a read only system would be perfect. I just need to read that files
I have in mind something insane, even if I do not know if I will be able to realize it.

I will buy a small case and use it mainly with freenas. Sometimes when I need it I would like to run XBMC to have a media station able to stream all the files saved on the nas.

I can do it Making Live installation of both on a pendrive and switch the 2 pendrives, or better with a dual boot system (I really don't know how to do it right now, but I will try).

I know all this can make no sense for most of you... but this is the idea that pop up in my mind... any comment is appreciated. thanks
No, it doesn't make any sense to me Smile

If you need to *stream* your files, you don't need XBMC at all. Freenas already includes almost everything you may need to *stream* your media, including an uPnP server, so if you just need a backend server it's perfect for you.
XBMC is a really nice and full blown frontend, perfect for playing your media, but even if it also includes an uPnP server, it would be a huge waste of resources (and hardware) to just use it as an uPnP server.

If , instead, you want to also *play* your media on that box, that is a completely different thing. In this case I'd start installing XBMC live on the box and then add the servers you need, like Samba, NFS, FTP, P2P software and so on.
XBMC Live is based on Ubuntu, and you will find a lot of documentation on the net on how to install and configure that software.

That said, if you don't have any knowledge of Linux and don't want to spend some time on learning, your solution is the simplest way to go.