Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New XBMC Live install driving me crazy!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello guys, new user here. Ive been running XBMC on windows for a little bit and love it, and love the idea of turning a media pc into the 'set top box experience'.

I have an Elonex artisan which is a clone media PC that looks like a piece of HiFi equipment. Inside im running a P4 3.6GHz, 1GB RAM. Theres not much else in there, ill come to the GFX in a bit.

I downloaded XBMC Live 10 and burnt the ISO to a cd. I planned to install the software on an 8GB USB Stick. After some errors along the way, I managed to get a complete install on the stick which, as far as I can see, went fine.

Im plugging this PC into my TV via HDMI. My problem is that when powering the PC on, I can see my POST screen and the next screen where it trys to boot off a device. Unfortunately, when it starts to read the USB stick, you can see it flashing as if its being read, but all I get is a black screen. I cant do anything, no terminal access as far as I can see, nothing.

Ive read all the posts about black screens and ATI cards, and I was running an ATI x1600 card previously. So i assumed this was the issue as ive seen how many issues they have had. I went out today and bought a nVidia 210 512MB Low Profile, hoping that it would fix the issue and give me some extra horsepower for HD decoding. The problem is that I still have the same issue. Nothing on boot up.

If I plug the USB stick into my main PC and boot off it there, it seems to boot fine, and I can get to the XBMC main screen, which makes me think theres something im missing. Ive done multiple reinstalls just in case but no difference.

I hope someone can help as its driving me mad and i really want to get using it! Sad

Thanks for your help
Did you do the reinstall with just the tv connected?
After the first reinstall ive done everything with just the TV connected

Any other things I can try?
Anyone? Id quite like to get this working this evening so i can forget about it!
Cheers
ive just tried booting up this same USB stick on a laptop, works fine. this is so frustrating, there must be something on the PC that it doesnt like, i just dont know what it is!
Could there be something in your bio's that it doesn't like? Check the wiki for some of the bio settings maybe?
i solved the issue, turns out the pc didnt like booting off a usb stick even though usb stick booting is enabled in the bios. installed on a hard drive and I am in.

Just need to iron out the issues, such as setting the res. Im going over HDMI and only getting 1280x720 which i then have to drag in with the calibration tool. My TVs native res is 1366x768 though it expects 720p through the HDMI port. is there a way round this? Its usable but doesnt look great right now