Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Maximize output when ripping DVD's ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just started using DVDFab8 to rip my DVD collection. I am no Audio/Video buff so all these lengthy list of settings i have no idea how to use Smile

I left just about everything as defaults and did one DVD to AVI (AVI because for some reason all MKV files that i currently have on my system, the voice portion of hte audio is almost muted. )...

Well, the one copy i did (AVATA), the video was very choppy almost like it would be constantly lagging, trying to catch up..

Are there optimal settings i should be using to maximize my output? I have a fair amount of space so i am too concerned about file size...

FWIW, running XBMC 10 on Windows XP SPIII.

Cheers,
The best option for you will be to use DVDFab8 to do a DVDCOPY only (make sure you choose DVD9 instead of DVD5 when you rip the DVD. This will rip the DVD files your HDD unencrypted. You can then use Handbrake to Encode your ripped DVD to MPEG 4. I recommend using .MKV rather than .MP4 format with XBMC as it supports Chapters. You can get Handbrake at http://www.handbrake.fr. It is available for Mac, Windows, & Linux. If you will be encoding DVDs, be sure to use Anamorphic (Strict or Loose) when encoding. You want to use the x264 encoder (this is default in handbrake). Use quality based encoding and leave the default RF value of 20. Use the "High profile" Handbrake profile You will be happy with the results. Hope this helps you some.

-hogfan
OK.. Well, i had a bunch of DVD's that i copied via dvdFab. Save them all as

.VOB files.. It creates a VIDEO_TS and a AUDIO_TS folder. All the presumed video files are in the VIDEO_TS folder however the AUDIO_TS folders are all emptyHuh

So, i test it on my desktop and it works just fine. So, in the interest of expediancy, i do not encode them to MKV or MPEG4 and just move the relevant VIDEO_TS folders to my movie directory (I delete the AUDIO_TS folder as they are all empty). I then renamed the VIDEO_TS folder to the actual movie name, ran XBMC did a refresh and from all accounts it's good to go. EXCEPT!!! For the sound yet again..

Why am i having such a hard time with sound all the time. In all these cases, it's the same situation i have dealt with in the past with certain MKV files. Background, etc... sounds are clear and crisp however the voices are all very very low, almost muted. Huh

What am i doing wrong? Do i need to add a more powerful sound card to my PC? Are there settings that i need to change for this to work or is there something i can do to prevent this for at the very least my DVD collection copy efforts?

FWIW, HTPC w/XBMC10, XPsp3, running it all through HDMI out to an Onkyo AV receiver and then HDMI to the Aquos LCD.