Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Live]Installation issue c/h/s value
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to install Live onto what was previously a windows XP system. I downloaded the .iso and burned it to a CD. I can boot from the CD, but when I try to install the new OS (or whenever I make any choice, for that matter) I get a message resembling the following:
"error: hd1 could not get c/h/s values".

After some searching I figured it had something to do with the disk being formatted to NTFS, so first I deleted the whole partition and since that didn't work I formatted to FAT, which didn't work either. I probably need to format to a FS with which Ubuntu/Xbmc can work, but how do I do that with the live CD?

Thanks for helping out a xbmc-newbie.
The OS (Linux in this case) on the CD is unable to obtain the physical layout of your disk (cylinders/headers/sectors). I really doubt this has anything with the formatting.

I suggest you try an alternate boot disk to see if the same error appears. Some boot disks have disk checking utilities as well, which I recommend you run.

Is this an old system? Can you swap the hard disk with another?
I reburned a CD with de Live-iso using Nero7. When I boot from it the same error appears. The system is not that old, it is a Shuttle SN41.

I've had the same error appear on another system, which also had a previous winXP installation. I haven't tried swapping the harddisk, but since I encountered the same problem on 2 PC's I'm assuming that I'm doing something wrong, but that the harddisk is OK.
Are you using SATA disks? Are they in IDE or AHCI mode?
Nope, it is an IDE disk.

Futher, I have tried to install from a USB-drive, using Unetbootin. With that, I get a bit further. However, during the installation the systems stops at 43% when checking disks. It seems to be the same problem as in this thread. There are some more people experiencing the same problem (e.g. here (2nd reply) or here (reply by "Jan")). One of the suggestions was to delete every partition, but that didn't help.
I'm still having the same problem, does anyone have a suggestion?
somehow, after trying and failing to flash the BIOS, the installation worked. I have absolutely no idea why, but it seems XBMC is installed.

However, when I boot up the system it shows the XBMC splash screen with the five dots blinking on and off again, but after that I get a prompt for a login and password. I can login, but XBMC will not start: "Feh.py can not connect to the X server".

As I understand it, after installation I should boot directly into XBMC. Clearly, my system doesn't do that. Does anyone have an idea why not?

When trying to load XBMC directly from the usb disk I get the same problem.
I am having the same issues as you with Live Dharma. My system had Atlantis on it prior to the memory controller on my motherboard going. So I bought a new Intel motherboard and a Nvidia 430 and have not been able to get the new Live to work.

I have Vista running with XBMC on the box now, and while the Windows version is much improved over the last time I tried it, I wish I could get back to just Live because that was all I needed. I really did not want to fight with all the Windows environment set up.

Have you tried a full install of a Live version of Umbuntu? I was also thinking of trying Mythbuntu but the site is down.
So that is what I did tonight...followed this...
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...nal_Ubuntu

Worked with the lastest mini.iso.
I can install the full version of Ubuntu, however that just creates issues with the screen, probably the same that I have with XBMClive. After having tried installing Windows, Ubuntu, Ubuntu minimal and Live, I think it has all to do with the correct driver, which probably isn't installed. I'm now on Live, and I would like to keep trying to get Live to run.

I have tried to install the driver like this
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo pkill x
sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*.
sudo pkill x
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings

And if I do so, the driver installs itself. If I then try to boot up xbmc I get
Code:
FEH.py: cannot connect to X server

so I try 'startx'; which results in this:

Code:
X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-28-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux dhcppc3 2.6.32-26-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 24 09:00:03 UTC 2010 i686
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-26-generic root=UUID=b7962ce7-cc76-4755-b693-d289f29e2a2a ro quiet splash xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0 video=vesafb
Build Date: 10 November 2010  11:25:26AM
xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.4 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Jan 16 15:31:29 2011
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia_current (/lib/modules/2.6.32-26-generic/updates/dkms/nvidia-current.ko): No such device
(EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
(EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages.
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  unexpected signal 2.
Unfortunately, being a bit of linux-noob, I haven't been able to solve this issue. I have decided to run XBMC from windows instead. If anyone has any other suggestions I am still interested in trying to make this work.
I seem to have this same issue... Sad

I have installed XBMC Live and it shows the loading screen and then goes to username and password prompt! What gives?!

*update* was a video driver issue for the GT430
right, I finally have this working. The issue was that I was running on an old Geforce MX440, which isn't supported. There is a special driver for that video card, but I couldn't get it to work. I decided to buy a second hand Geforce 7900 which runs XBMC beautifully.