Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] PseudoTV Addon: Virtual EPG and TV Channel Surfing Script
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
BEWBTUBE Wrote:Is this working for Eden Beta 2? I haven't used it since back when I first moved to the eden nightlies, but I loved it and was sad I couldn't use it anymore. I installed it and everything seems to get set up correctly, but when i launch it only seems to load one channel (Action and Adventure) rather than the handful I set up.

Give it some time, how long are you waiting? and how big is your library for that channel? Once it loads one channel it will work in the background while channel one is playing, loaing the other channels. My channels have around 350 movies each and they take about 3-5 mins to load that channel up. I believe one of my channels has almost 1000 movies and that took a bit longer to do but it all did it in the background. As soon as channel 2 is done loading it is available for viewing as it now starts to load channel 3.

Hope all that made sense, long story short just give it a little time.
how can i change the keymap?

thanks.
GJones Wrote:All of my content is on a network drive, but a bigger buffer just masks the problem. The core of the problem is that you have insufficient bandwidth between your NAS and your XBMC box (with one possible exception). This normally is because of wireless (which you should never use with a media server) , slow network (10Mbps) or congested network. A better network card (wired) and gigabit switch or router is cheap compared to any other solution. You can often get a cheap gigabit switch for around $40.

In a few cases, the problem is contention for the disk on which the media is stored. There is no free lunch, people. You cannot use a computer at 100% capacity while it serves up media. If you are thrashing the disk (especially due to excessive paging), it will make a lousy server for media.

If the bandwidth you need to keep XBMC displaying a show is greater than the smallest part of the pipe between it and the media, it will always fail. The idea of extra buffer will only cover very short-term drops in bandwidth. Even if you set aside a huge buffer, it would delay the start of the content and consumer the much more expensive memory on the XBMC box. Cost of faster switch < cost of massive memory for XBMC.

Sorry to get on the soapbox, but people often throw out buffering as a solution. It is, but only when you are willing to wait for 50% the duration of your content. For a trailer on youtube, buffering works because some people will wait a minute for a two-minute trailer to start. PseudoTV runs playlists that are, in essence, infinitely long. Who is willing to wait half of infinity to make sure it doesn't run out of buffer?

On behalf of lurking newbies everywhere, thank you GJones! That makes a ton of sense and is something I would not have thought of.

BTW guys, for those of you who can't wire up all your machines and are using wireless, you may want to try the Power Outlet network adapters. I bought the 500Mbps set (like $130) and I can stream 1080p movies great when watching PsuedoTV now.

Thanks to everyone for the tips!
mapelgleaf Wrote:On behalf of lurking newbies everywhere, thank you GJones! That makes a ton of sense and is something I would not have thought of.

BTW guys, for those of you who can't wire up all your machines and are using wireless, you may want to try the Power Outlet network adapters. I bought the 500Mbps set (like $130) and I can stream 1080p movies great when watching PsuedoTV now.

Note that power outlet network is veeery susceptible to noise, making it worse choice than cat5/6 wire. nevertheless, its simple to setup, just dont complain when the is bad(like wireless bad).
ive just setup my first channel and noticed, despite a wide variety of content, the epg displays shows 2 to 3 in a row.. ive tried random in advanced settings but no dice.. anyone know of a solution?
farr3ll Wrote:ive just setup my first channel and noticed, despite a wide variety of content, the epg displays shows 2 to 3 in a row.. ive tried random in advanced settings but no dice.. anyone know of a solution?

If you have 100 episodes of one show and 50 of another, it will end up putting 2 of one for each of the other. If you want a more even mix, use the following method:
  • create a smart playlist for each show, random order, limit 20
  • create a channel for that custom playlist, use the advanced rule - do not play channel
  • make one channel with the shows interleaved (advanced rules) and do not use "do not play channel"

This should evenly distribute the same number of episodes for each show.
mapelgleaf Wrote:On behalf of lurking newbies everywhere, thank you GJones! That makes a ton of sense and is something I would not have thought of.

Glad to help. As mentioned, the wireline adapters are susceptible to some interference, but not nearly as susceptible as wireless. If you don't add new home appliances, the wireline adapters generally do not degrade over time. Wireless networks can degrade just because your next door neighbor bought a new router or is using their new 5 GHz phone handset.

CAT5/6 > wireline > wireless N > other wireless
farr3ll Wrote:ive just setup my first channel and noticed, despite a wide variety of content, the epg displays shows 2 to 3 in a row.. ive tried random in advanced settings but no dice.. anyone know of a solution?

Rolleyes Read the forum... all you need to know is here!
GJones Wrote:If you have 100 episodes of one show and 50 of another, it will end up putting 2 of one for each of the other. If you want a more even mix, use the following method:
  • create a smart playlist for each show, random order, limit 20
  • create a channel for that custom playlist, use the advanced rule - do not play channel
  • make one channel with the shows interleaved (advanced rules) and do not use "do not play channel"

This should evenly distribute the same number of episodes for each show.

thanks mate, i sort have had that revelation a few minutes ago over a coffee and smoke.. if i limit the episodes to 20, will that mean the same 20 episodes will play over until i restart pseudo tv?
RockDawg Wrote:Unless something has changed, channel sharing only works with Windows. Jason102 mentioned a while back that XBMC broke smb access for addons in Linux.

I am ONLY running XBMC on Windows systems. And I do not have an option for smb access through the file sharing option on Pseudo TV. And I have NO problem with smb on XBMC otherwise, it simply doesn't show up as an option through PTV, local folders only.
farr3ll Wrote:thanks mate, i sort have had that revelation a few minutes ago over a coffee and smoke.. if i limit the episodes to 20, will that mean the same 20 episodes will play over until i restart pseudo tv?

If you want to get complicated, set the smart playlist to 20 (or 50) episodes and force them to be unwatched (playcount = 0) or not recently watched (lastplayed notinthelast 3 weeks). With background updating, pseudotv should pull more shows as needed.
tommymsw Wrote:I am ONLY running XBMC on Windows systems. And I do not have an option for smb access through the file sharing option on Pseudo TV. And I have NO problem with smb on XBMC otherwise, it simply doesn't show up as an option through PTV, local folders only.

Did you setup your SMB share in XBMC... not just in video files, but for system too... load xbmc file manger can you see your smb share? if not create a source for it Cool
GJones Wrote:Glad to help. As mentioned, the wireline adapters are susceptible to some interference, but not nearly as susceptible as wireless. If you don't add new home appliances, the wireline adapters generally do not degrade over time. Wireless networks can degrade just because your next door neighbor bought a new router or is using their new 5 GHz phone handset.

CAT5/6 > wireline > wireless N > other wireless

Thanks GJones & publicENEMY - I live in a multi-story house so that's the best solution, otherwise I would of course wire up directly. I also have wireless N which works great with everything but some HD videos -- but if you're gonna get past the Wife Factor you gotta bump it up so it's cable-like and flawless IMO.

Dumb PTV Q to anyone: Does anyone know where I can find directions for PseudoTV on the iOS / iPad? It runs good thus far, but I can't figure out how to change channels or bring up the guide. Do I need to get a bluetooth keyboard or are there gestures? The rest of XBMC is pretty intuitive, but this isn't. Sorry I looked around and just didn't seem to find them...
GJones Wrote:Sorry to get on the soapbox, but people often throw out buffering as a solution. It is, but only when you are willing to wait for 50% the duration of your content. For a trailer on youtube, buffering works because some people will wait a minute for a two-minute trailer to start. PseudoTV runs playlists that are, in essence, infinitely long. Who is willing to wait half of infinity to make sure it doesn't run out of buffer?

OK, increasing the buffer is a bad idea. Sorry. Do ALL the channels on PseduoTV play at the same time (all the episodes are streaming at the same time?) therefore using all the bandwidth? or does it start streaming a file once the channel changes?
I have a gigabyte network - with a gigabyte switch and Cat 5e cabling which is more than enough for media sharing.
TheFonz Wrote:OK, increasing the buffer is a bad idea. Sorry. Do ALL the channels on PseduoTV play at the same time (all the episodes are streaming at the same time?) therefore using all the bandwidth? or does it start streaming a file once the channel changes?
I have a gigabyte network - with a gigabyte switch and Cat 5e cabling which is more than enough for media sharing.

It does not stream them simultaneously. If you have buffering with that setup, it makes me believe you are sharing media from a desktop machine that is overtaxed. Perhaps a Windows box with a virus scanner running.

Tell us a bit about your XBMC installation (including OS) and the machine storing the content and we might be able to tell you the issue.

Also let us know if you happen to be using the Library Auto Update addon or the watchlist script (often installed with a newer skin like xeebo, xperience1080). Older versions of the watchlist script had some side effects when running with pseudotv due to the nature of how the script was triggered.