Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Of madness and modelines (how to tweak away judder)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you're not interested in the story of my trials and tribulations please scroll down to my second post to get into the meat of the modeline tweaking process.

It's been a year of my life I'll never get back. I've had not one but several near breaks with reality in the process. I've become depressed and frustrated to the point of contemplating committing horrible acts of violence upon my hardware. I've undergone manic cycles of elated victory and crushing defeat. Please forgive my ramblings. I only mean to help others.

Let me begin with these words of advice: If you are happy with the way your XBMC system is playing videos then I beg you to stop reading now. It's possible that I may draw attention to flaws that are better left unnoticed and once brought to light you may never be able to cease the niggling awareness of imperfection. If you are pleased with your current results then please click away and never return. It's for your own good.

My obsession has been to accomplish perfect playback with a mac mini. Why this hardware? Simply because I already had it. I picked it up cheap as the studio I worked for was giving it away for a song. It began life as a core duo 1.8Ghz 1G ram system with an intel GMA965M video chipset. Having run XBMC for years on a original xbox I was finally ready to take the leap to a high definition TV and wanted the same functionality in my living room. We bought a samsung ln52b750 LCD TV and a harmony 880 remote. I hooked the mini to the tv through HDMI and optical sound to our onkyo receiver. I tried Plex, and boxee, but quickly found my way back to XBMC.

The mini was running OSX (10.6.x) for most of this last year. I downloaded the SVN versions of XBMC and one thing was readily apparent. This crap hardware was not handling 1080p at all and even 720p playback had many issues. Hmm... well we need more CPU and RAM I thought. So I bought a core2 duo 2.0 CPU and a second stick of ram and tore into the mini. Several hours later I had a newer, faster, 64 bit capable machine. A machine that now overheated and became unstable. Thankfully a "fan control daemon" program existed and once applied I was able to bump up the fan speed and it became fully stable once again. Unfortunately I was still plagued by stutters and glitches. So now I tore into the OS. I learned how to use iotop and identify any OS X process that might be hitting the internal hard drive. I spent days pouring over launchd plist system files in order to shut down absolutely any unnecessary process. I disabled the dock and killed the finder. I reniced xbmc to a higher priority. I learned that OS X doesn't handle file caching well over NFS and the VM system creates problems when the cache gets full. I spun up a samba server on my network and converted XBMC to use SMB directly. Still, 1080p was not working acceptably and 720p had problems. I cringed every time I saw an imperfection. Each attempted solution brought the rise of hope into my soul to be followed quickly by defeat and despair.

Then one day I saw the announcement "Broadcom crystal HD, it's magic!". HOLY CRAP! MAGIC! If there was anyone on earth who needed magic it was certainly me. Sacrificing my wifi card to the gods of HD video was a small price to pay for magic! I bought a BCM70012 and tore apart the mini again. I hacked through the manual .kext driver and lib install process. I upgraded to the proper SVN version of XBMC and eagerly enabled crystalHD support in the GUI. The result, predictably, was more stutters and hiccups. This time the stutters were pronounced and drawn out "jerk, jerk, jerk" as the crystalHD system tried to sync back up with the video stream. I was however able to play many of the 1080p vides that never worked before.

I spent most of 2010 dealing with this exact setup, upgraded mac mini, OS X, crystal HD. I read the forums like they were an encyclopedia of eternal wisdom with pages dispersed among piles of cranky and typically useless chatter. I spend hours and days tweaking system parameters, hunting down CPU and IO using processes, and a never ending cycle of upgrading both XBMC and the crystal HD software versions. In the end I got close to perfect playback in 720p and 1080p. God damned close but and but for a few minor judders I was almost there. It just wasn't good enough.

Then one day my beautiful and oh so eternally patient and understanding girlfriend sent me an IM. Someone where she was working was selling a 1st gen apple TV. I knew from the forums that the crystal HD card would go in an AppleTV and that some wise and gifted fellows had a ubuntu install working. I leapt on that purchase like cat on a mouse and ordered the newer BCM70015 card to go in it. Once again I sacrificed wireless connectivity to the gods of HD video. I have gig-e everywhere and to hell with wifi.

I thanked the gods this was going to be a Linux system. I wanted to do linux on the mini but was terrified of blowing away the OSX system I had been tweaking for months. I love linux. I started with linux in 1994 at a job where we used slackware on 386 machines because we didn't want to pay for the expensive X windows terminals to access our central RS6000 system. I've been a devoted linux fan for the past 16 years and have progressed through early redhat, debian, and for a long time gentoo distributions. Ubuntu is new to my world as I decided that I just had to have something with decent package management that didn't require compiling everything at install time. I've fostered and pushed for linux as a server environment at every job I've had. Now I support, build, and work with it daily. I love linux like a parent with a child he has watched grow into a mature and praiseworthy adult.

I connected up the ATV and installed the latest XBMC and crystal HD from svn source. I hunted down and killed a few unnecessary processes. After all that I had nice HD video. The broadcast TV had never looked better. No more judder and most of the time the video files played smoothly. In the cases where they did not I was able to demonstrate repeatable errors in the video files themselves. TV watching was good. 1080p on the other hand had gone the opposite direction. You see the ATV only has 256 MB of ram, and in this case.... it just didn't seem to be enough to handle 1080p after all. We marched on like this for a while and didn't watch anything in 1080p.

I needed to rest and recoup. I had lost every battle for perfect 1080p playback in the past 10 months.

I was beaten but not defeated. After a time I realized that because our basic HD TV needs were being met by the ATV I could go back and experiment with the mac mini. I decided I wanted a 64 bit OS. I wanted an OS that would stick around for a while. I wanted a dedicated XBMC system that would only serve as a video player and nothing else. I settled on ubuntu 10.0.4.1 LTS minimal (amd64) with the xbmc-live packages. Unfortunately the mac mini wasn't giving up it's EFI boot partition without a fight. I had to learn about refi-it and force some hair raising install options in grub. I delved into the mysteries of lm-sensors in order to speed up the mini's fan and prevent the same overheating. I spent three days fighting with ircd and remote config files to get our harmony remote working acceptably. Eventually though it booted and dual booted actually as I had retained an OS X install just in case. My video comes over Gig-E from a dedicated NAS ubuntu server and I need very little local storage.

As a side note I'd like to state for the record that I believe there is a significant difference between the BCM70012 and BCM70015 cards. The 70015 on spec supports another notch higher h264 decoding and a bit more bandwidth. In my experience this made a significant difference for certain 720p and 1080p files. It also seems to recover from a loss of sync much more rapidly and smoothly than the 012. At one point I directly swapped these two cards and, without any os, driver, or software changes was able to realize an immediate and significant gain in playback.

As I overstated above. I love linux dearly. However I hate xorg. Xorg is a simply horrible way to handle video drivers. Where I work we have a huge install base of artists using linux as their daily creative platform. Xorg, the nvidia drivers, and various openGL application interactions are one of the most system crashing and work disrupting aspects of our desktop image, and has been for years. The xorg.conf file is cryptic and hard to understand. It's ancient syntax is born of the twisted and inhuman union of early VGA and CRT monitor couplings. It's the unholy offspring of proprietary and open source software and hardware driver interaction. I believe it to be the biggest weakness of a professional linux desktop deployment. But I digress....

Then came the process of getting all the assorted software bits and pieces put together. Alsa sound, check... broadcom svn driver, check, xbmc-live ppa packages, check. It all seemed to be working on my 60Mhz LCD TV and other PC monitors. I brought it into the TV room and made the call. We were going back to the Mac mini. This cursed object of months of obsession and despair. It was coming back into our TV viewing lives.

This ends the unburdening of my soul portion of this diatribe. If you actually read this far then bless you. I hope you found some humor or solace in what I have written. If you're also on this path to madness then take heart in the fact that you are not alone.
What follows is the technical meat of the discussion. Modelines, judder and how to get rid of it once and for all.

Upon hooking up my mac mini with ubunto system to my Samsung TV I immediately noticed one final problem. Unlike nvidia on the ATV, my mini with it's intel video was not properly detecting EDID information. I was forced to use modelines to get xorg to communicate with the TV at the proper refresh rates. After much searching and research I finally found what seemed to be a standard set of modelines for 24hz, 23.976, 29.97, 59.97 and some associated xorg.conf settings. Here are the standard 1080p modelines I found. There are others for 720p and other resolutions. Note that 25 and 50Hz didn't work on my set.

# 1920x1080p @ 50Hz (EIA/CEA-861B)
ModeLine "[email protected]" 148.500 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
# 1920x1080p @ 60Hz (EIA/CEA-861B)
ModeLine "[email protected]" 148.500 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
# 1920x1080p @ 24Hz (EIA/CEA-861B)
ModeLine "[email protected]" 74.250 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
# 1920x1080p @ 23.976Hz (EIA/CEA-861B)
ModeLine "[email protected]" 74.175 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
# 1920x1080p @ 59.94Hz (EIA/CEA-861B)
ModeLine "[email protected]" 148.350 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
# 1920x1080p @ 25Hz (EIA/CEA-861B)
ModeLine "[email protected]" 74.250 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
# 1920x1080p @ 29.97Hz (EIA/CEA-861B)
ModeLine "[email protected]" 74.175 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
# 1920x1080p @ 30Hz (EIA/CEA-861B)
ModeLine "[email protected]" 74.250 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync

At last I had a starting point. I also pulled log information from the ATV and constructed my own modeline from the EDID info the nvidia driver had detected from this same TV. This all got me close... very.. very close... Other people might not even notice the issues I saw with my eyes. My girlfriend didn't seem to mind. I could see it though. Every few seconds there was a very quick pause or skip in the video. I came to understand this as judder.

I really have no damned idea what the actual definition of judder is. On these forums we use all manner of hazily defined terms to describe the problems we have with our video player. We call it stuttering, skipping, jitter, blah, blah, blah. I'm calling this one judder. Before we go on let's be sure we're talking about the same thing. If you're not having the same exact issue I'm describing here then you will not make anything better by messing with your modelines. Your playback should be almost smooth. No big skips, leaps forward, pauses, major stuttering, etc. This process will help you dial out the very last little bit of video skip or judder due to frame rate inconsistencies between XBMC, your video driver, and your TV.

The symptom:

Every few seconds the video has a small but noticeable "hiccup"

Cause:

The frame rate of the movie file and what the video driver is sending to your TV are not in sync. With the option of "match framerate to video clock, drop/dupe audio" frames are being either repeated or skipped in order to catch up with the frame rate sent to the TV. For example: Say you have a video file with the frame rate or 24.0fps (blue ray) and your video driver is refreshing the TV at 23.976fps. In this case, every so often xbmc will need to duplicate a frame to maintain sync. This appears as a very rapid (1/24th of a second) pause and resume of the playing video. This is the symptom of a an xorg refresh rate that is too slow. If the problem goes the other way, i.e. the xorg refresh rate is too fast for the video file the symptoms are slightly different. Every few seconds you'll see the video leap forward by a frame. XBMC needs to skip over a frame to maintain sync. In the latter case, on my set due to the "auto motion plus" features this skip forward looks more like a half skip forward, back, forward as the motion compensation (240hz frame interpolation) tries to "smooth" the video. Just be aware that 120/240hz TVs add a bit of confusion as they try to be smart.

In either case the frequency of these skips is directly related to how far off the sync is. If the skips happen frequently then you're "relatively" far off. The wider apart the skips get the closer you are getting. Remember that we're talking about tenths and hundredths of a second here in adjustment. The process of resolving this judder is to tweak the modelines in your xorg.conf and restart xorg, over and over until you cannot see any more skips. It's a game of hot and cold with a hexidecimal number as you try to zero in.

One word of wisdom and advice: Not all modelines are equal for different video drivers. This means your perfect modeline settings to the same TV on an nvidia card may not work (and they don't in my case) for an intel video card. This is why you can't necessarily just use the standard modelines or others you find in posts online. Your video/TV interaction may be different.

Please read this brief explanation of modelines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFree86_Modeline

The important bit is this:

The horizontal and vertical frequencies can be calculated by:
Hfreq=pclk/htotal
Vfreq=pclk/(htotal*vtotal)

The key point it that your Vertical refresh rate is defined by a ratio of the Pixel Clock, and the horizontal and vertical total numbers. Don't worry about what that means. Just know that as you lower the htotal or vtotal number your frame rate goes up and as you raise them the rate goes down.

The best type of video to watch when looking for this problem is a long slow camera pan agains a static background. You'll see these glitches clearly as the whole background seems to skip or pause momentarily. Fast moving action scenes are useless. So... go find yourself two videos that represent this kind of shot. One in 24fps (blu ray) and one in 23.976 (HD TV)

In your xorg.conf I'd suggest starting with one of these lines.

# 1920x1080p @ 24Hz (EIA/CEA-861B)
ModeLine "[email protected]" 74.250 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
# 1920x1080p @ 23.976Hz (EIA/CEA-861B)
ModeLine "[email protected]" 74.175 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync

I started with 1920x1080p @ 23.976Hz on a blu-ray video because I was stupid, but after some tweaks it looks great to me so I'm sticking with it for now. For blu-ray (24Hz) video you should probably start with the proper line. So.. load up your long camera pan shot and watch it. Is it doing the too fast or too slow skip? (see above) if it's too fast, try raising the vtotal number (last integer number in the line, see wiki link) a few points. I suggest not moving more than a value of 4 either way. Too slow? try the opposite. Then restart xorg to reload the new settings and repeat. Eventually you'll get down to moving one point at a time and most likely you'll eliminate the juddering. You'll have to watch the same camera shot many, many times.

Next load up a 23.976 (HD TV) video file and repeat the process with a different modeline to zero in your HDTV setting.

If you ever get a "mode not supported" message on your TV (or something equivalent as this is a samsung message) It simply means you've pushed these parameters out of your TVs spec. You may need to try starting with a different modeline (different pixel clock number) and have another go.

If you watch the "o" video stats display in XBMC you'll see the FPS number change slightly in response to these changes. In my system it seems to lack the kind of fine grained resolution necessary to make it useful for dialing things in. It bounces between 34.95 and 24.0 and hovers around 23.98 for 24fps video.

You can repeat this process for any refresh rate you're dialing in. I've just focused on broadcast and blu-ray media.

I feel like I'm almost there. For the first time I watched a full 1080p video with no detectible issues and my eyes have become maddeningly aware of even slight problems. I've still got a bit more tweaking to do. Still to do is to understand how XBMC decides which modeline to choose when you set the "auto adjust refresh rate" setting. I'm not sure that's working correctly for me with these customized modelines.

I hope this helps someone else on this journey. Good luck and please stay saner than me.
Ha Ha - very funny post ! I feel with you as i have battled and lost my self.
How many hours i have used in tweaking stuff in linux for the past two years i wouldent dare to calculate. On the plus side i've learned linux along the way Smile

I do now have this minor judders, it drive me mad but im surprised to see how many people that doesn't notice these small imperfections. And offcourse as you say the more you dive into this the more you see it.

Since my old trusty Samsung doesen't do 24FPS i have settled for 60Hz as it gives me the least problems. But for my next TV i gonna make sure that my TV supports proper 23-25hz and all small steps in between Smile As this should give me perfect playback matching video source.

Please keep us updated ! Smile
Now THAT is a rant I can appreciate. I appreciate the posts and your struggles. And your posts and struggles almost made me hug my ION box.

One disagreement though- I love Xorg. Its a mess, but its a fun mess sometimes.
You're definitely not alone. I've never managed to get my setup completely perfect either. I get the very slight hiccups every few minutes as well. I've spent many, many hours trying to get it perfect doing similar things to what you've done and just gave up.

I have recently noticed something very peculiar about the whole thing though.

When "sync playback to display" is turned on, whenever I see a hiccup, the "missed" field in the "o" info screen goes up by one. I've only seen one small post on the forums about the "missed" field and it mentioned that was when the vsync didn't match and a frame was skipped (which is definitely related).

My question to the author of the syncing (bobo1on1) is how do I get the missed number to stop going up? Smile
Just another quick note on my progress:

It seems that I may not need separate modelines for 24hz and 23.976. My best results all around are coming from the same mode. This is the modeline I've zeroed in on:

ModeLine "[email protected]" 74.175 1920 2558 2602 2746 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync

Please note that this line is customized for my driver/tv and probably won't work for you without more tweaking.

I also had much better results tweaking the htotal number rather than the vtotal. i.e. Starting with the "standard" modeline for 23.976 I dropped the 5th number from 2750 to 2746 and this seems to have eliminated my issues in everything we watched last night. Which included several 720p HDTV files as well as 720p and 1080p blu-ray files.

I'm going to stick with this for a while and will report back if anything changes.
Chris,

Thanks again, as I said in my post, this has solved my issue too.

It is interesting to note, the default 1080p24 settings for my receiver were the same as your "standard", with the exception of the pixel clock (mine is 74.16)

After messing around a bit with vtotal, it really made things a lot worse, so I did your suggestion and dropped my htotal to 2746.

Interesting, though we have a different clock speeds, the exact same fix worked. I believe this problem is brought on by a bug in VDPAU (since I did not have this problem with vdpau turned off).

I think you should post your writeup to the xbmc wiki and a possible bug tracker should be logged with NVidia.

Thanks again for all your hard work. You saved me from throwing my remote at the TV as some point, I am sure!

- Mark
Affejunge Wrote:Chris,

Thanks again, as I said in my post, this has solved my issue too.

It is interesting to note, the default 1080p24 settings for my receiver were the same as your "standard", with the exception of the pixel clock (mine is 74.16)

After messing around a bit with vtotal, it really made things a lot worse, so I did your suggestion and dropped my htotal to 2746.

Interesting, though we have a different clock speeds, the exact same fix worked. I believe this problem is brought on by a bug in VDPAU (since I did not have this problem with vdpau turned off).

I think you should post your writeup to the xbmc wiki and a possible bug tracker should be logged with NVidia.

Thanks again for all your hard work. You saved me from throwing my remote at the TV as some point, I am sure!

- Mark

Have you tried other applications besides xbmc that supports VDPAU, to make the assumption this is an nvidia bug?

I'm glad you got it sorted!

I think i'm gonna make a new thread with the folks who have similar issues but still unresolved like my self.
I have used many hours/days on trying to fix this too. But i ended up messing with the pixelclock which didn't worked out that great.

What happend to your picture if you went over 23.976 fps? Because if i was under 23.976 i will get a skip but if i went to close or over 23.976 the picture in the movie would start to skip pictures like crazy at some random point in the movie.

We agree that the "italic" syntax is htotal and vtotal is the bold one right?
calebdk Wrote:I have used many hours/days on trying to fix this too. But i ended up messing with the pixelclock which didn't worked out that great.

What happened to your picture if you went over 23.976 fps? Because if i was under 23.976 i will get a skip but if i went to close or over 23.976 the picture in the movie would start to skip pictures like crazy at some random point in the movie.

We agree that the "italic" syntax is htotal and vtotal is the bold one right?

Yes you got htotal and vtotal right. I was seeing two different types of skips depending on whether or not I was above or below the optimal refresh rate. Below it the skip looked like a quick pause (repeated frame), above it it looked like you snapped forward (skipped frame). Remember that lowering the vtotal or htotal number actually raises the refresh rate. It's easy to forget that and end up moving in the wrong direction. I didn't have much luck mucking with the pixel clock either. I would typically end up outside the range of what my TV would accept.

It's probably worth trying to start with a slightly different modeline. One that has a pixel clock that is close. Like the @24 and @23.976 lines in the examples above. If you find yourself getting into a situation where one vtotal value is too low and the next one is too high then you might try a nudge of the pixel clock by a little bit and try zeroing in again with vtotal. Thankfully it didn't come to that for me.

I have an intel video chipset Angry so there's no nvidia/VDPAU involved with my setup.

If I understand VDPAU correctly then all it's doing is some hardware accelerated decoding of the h264 stream and I believe that is a separate part of the process from the xorg to TV refresh rate stuff we're tweaking here. I guess it's possible that we're changing the timing on some chip that's influencing the function of VDPAU. I could be wrong.

Getting this stuff to work for me was a process of first ironing out any kinks with crystalHD drivers and the system / CPU (like CPU scaling). You've gotta get that stuff, including VDPAU decoding, working solid first.

Personally... the next HTPC I buy/build is definitely going to have a VDPAU capable nvidia chipset. It's also going to have a CPU more than powerful enough to decode two simultaneous 1080p h264 streams alone. I want the hardware acceleration to be a nice option to have and not an absolute requirement.

I'll think about converting some of this into a wiki article. I'm really happy to see it's helping people.
would be very nice to see a wiki article about this simon.

And if im not getting things wrong, to do this tweaking stuff your TV MUST
support 24Hz

if it's only supporting 50/60Hz which is normal on a TV's a few years back, then this would be pointless. And is it correct that 50Hz
is better than 60Hz if source is 24p ? to avoid pulldown..

Regards.
Very entertaining read, but you have one fact wrong:
simonp Wrote:So... go find yourself two videos that represent this kind of shot. One in 24fps (blu ray) and one in 23.976 (HD TV)
Usually movies on BluRay are also in 23.976fps. True 24fps on BluRay is part of the standard, but I have never seen it in reality. Use a tool like mediainfo to check which framerate your movies have.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BluRay#Video
The-Boxhead Wrote:And is it correct that 50Hz
is better than 60Hz if source is 24p ?

IMHO 2:3 pulldown ([email protected]) is way better than 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:3 pulldown ([email protected]).
The-Boxhead Wrote:would be very nice to see a wiki article about this simon.

And if im not getting things wrong, to do this tweaking stuff your TV MUST
support 24Hz

if it's only supporting 50/60Hz which is normal on a TV's a few years back, then this would be pointless. And is it correct that 50Hz
is better than 60Hz if source is 24p ? to avoid pulldown..

Regards.

Neither, since 50/60 isn't divideable with 24.

You need a 100hz TV to get a native pulldown or anything that's divideable with 24.

120/24 = 5 5:5
96/24 = 4 4:4
72/24 = 3 3:3
etc etc

I'm begining to suspect a lot of folks here are using old tv's or tv's with supported 120hz but doesn't run a 120hz video processor for a native pulldown (anti judder).

Since i'm just a humble HTPC/xbmc user i'm not too technial with all this stuff, I just want my moivie to play smoothly Smile

Hmm I need to think for a minute... the HDMI outputs 60hz, does that mean your video processor natively runs a 5:5 pulldown (if you own a 120hz TV?)

Quote:HDMI Specs:

Video signal 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 1440p, 1600p, 2160p, etc.
Data signal Yes
Bandwidth 10.2 Gbit/s (340 MHz)

Here's a better question where are the 100hz gathered from your EDID TVHuh?

Quote:1080p is 60 Hz. Where in your manual do you see anything mentioning 120 Hz input modes?

Fine motion enhancement may internally interpolate images at 120 Hz to sharpen and reduce motion blur or smooth out stutter from film sources, but the HDMI (or VGA) input signal is still ~60 Hz.

My LG 32LH40 HDTV has 120 Hz enhancement, but its 1080p modes are listed as:

RGB-PC 66.587 KHz horiz, 59.934 Hz vertical
HDMI-PC 67.5 KHz horiz, 60 Hz vertical

Your manual lists "some" PC modes up to 75 Hz, but does not provide details of HDTV modes (which should be according to standards), other than that it is 1920x1080 pixels.

Source: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1441184

My tv's maximum refresh rate to pc is 100mhz, but I can't find anything on my EDID or xorg.
I'm seriously starting to doubt whether or not this method is going to help me get rid of my "slomo"/skip/judder moments with whatever material I watch. Sometimes it runs fine for minutes and then suddenly it's showing it's ugly face and other times it's apparent pretty soon after I start a movie. It will "slomo" for a bit, and then continue to be smooth again, or it skips a frame or so.

I've tried quite a few ModeLine settings but to no avail. I'm having this on two systems, both top notch hardware to be able to play 1080p flawlessly with either vdpau or cpu only, but no matter what I do, I can not seem to get rid of the said effects and it's driving me completely nuts.

Why did I never have any problems with this on the windows platform, but on Linux this is a major pain in the ass? Is it solely due to Xorg? Or is this a combination of nvidia drivers with xorg?

Whatever it may be it's very very frustrating because I know perfect smooth playback is possible, but I simply can't seem to get it right on two very capable systems on two different TV's that have no problems doing 24p when I was using windows and xbmc.

Could this problem have anything to do with CPU Throttling? Which I sorta doubt cuz with VDPAU the cpu usage is no more than 1.5 to 3 %
Pages: 1 2