Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: I USED TO love XBMC - I'm giving up... Please help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just can't seem to get it right. Sad
The correct Video resolution for the projector using a PC.

PS3 & Xbox 360 Looks great. When Projector screen comes on it says 1080p.

My HTPC on the other hand is driving me crazy.
What is the ideal resolution to use for a HTPC setup for 16:9 ?
The Zbox doesn't natively support 1024 x 768, I tried to use PowerStrip app to add it. (Could someone send me their Powerstrip settings with same type of display?)
The projector has an option to go from 4:3 to 16:9 , but it loses clarity. Do I have to use this on the projector to get 16:9?
IS there a resolution from the Zbox chipset that would crop it coming out and going into the Projector?

I have used XBMC for XBOX for many years and Love it. I boots quick and just works..
Using a PC on the other hand is a roal pain in the A$$ for this noob..

Alright... I have dealt with this years ago and am now dealing with this frustration again with complete new hardware.

Specs:
* 16:9 (Wide Screen) 100" Pull down screen

* ViewSonic PJ551D Projector - 1024 x 768 Native -View 12" from screen
http://www.viewsonic.com/assets/007/5670.pdf

* Zbox Zbox HD-ID11 - Windows 7 64bit , using XBMC, Windows Media Center, PowerStrip
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3497/zo...index.html

* Sony Amp with Audio/Video support, HDMI & Component inputs.
Have all sources going IN using Component, OUT using component to Projector (VGA).

* WiFi N+ Gigabit router
* HD Homerun tunner device (Connects to network and streams channels)
* ESata external Blue-Ray Lighton drive
why would someone watch fullhd movies on 1024x768??...
the ideal resolution is 1920x180p but it does work with lower resolutions, just to give it a try i pluged in an old lcd monitor with 1280x720. looks crappy but still works with the zbox hd11. nevr take 4:3 you get black bars on half the screen.
How does it 'not support' 1024x768?
Maybe try Linux.
How are you connecting to the projector? VGA, DVI, M-D1?

You are NEVER going to get 16x9. It's impossible with your projector.
1024/768 is 4/3. You have a 'business' projector designed for the old 4:3 setup.

My advice would be to set up both the projector and HTPC to 1024x768.
Play an HD movie. It should add black bars. Move your projector such that the black bars are above and below your screen.
Sound like my old plasma- it too was 1024x768.

My short term solution was to use Linux to force that resolution, then used XBMC's video configurator to make the picture fix the screen.

The long term fix was to replace the old gal with a 1080p set.
The problem you'll have with 16x9 and 1024x768 is that 1024x768 is 4:3. If you put that projector in 16x9 it'll do one of two things, either crop the top and bottom off and use less than the full 1024x768 pixels, OR stretch the 1024 horizontal pixels so they're not square anymore. My guess is the latter.

That display claims it supports 720p resolution for input, that's 1280x720. You can try that, the projector will then convert that to the elongated 1024x768 screen. That's probably what your consoles are doing (if you're using VGA with them somehow?)

You can also choose 1024x768 output (that computer HAS to support that... it's a very standard size... just tell the computer you have a standard plug and play monitor plugged in, don't use drivers). Then you can set the projector to 16:9 and use XBMCs calibration to set the correct aspect ratios (the "square" calibration section, use a ruler).
German Wrote:I just can't seem to get it right. Sad
The correct Video resolution for the projector using a PC.

PS3 & Xbox 360 Looks great. When Projector screen comes on it says 1080p.

My HTPC on the other hand is driving me crazy.
What is the ideal resolution to use for a HTPC setup for 16:9 ?
The Zbox doesn't natively support 1024 x 768, I tried to use PowerStrip app to add it. (Could someone send me their Powerstrip settings with same type of display?)
The projector has an option to go from 4:3 to 16:9 , but it loses clarity. Do I have to use this on the projector to get 16:9?
IS there a resolution from the Zbox chipset that would crop it coming out and going into the Projector?

I have used XBMC for XBOX for many years and Love it. I boots quick and just works..
Using a PC on the other hand is a roal pain in the A$$ for this noob..

Alright... I have dealt with this years ago and am now dealing with this frustration again with complete new hardware.

Specs:
* 16:9 (Wide Screen) 100" Pull down screen

* ViewSonic PJ551D Projector - 1024 x 768 Native -View 12" from screen
http://www.viewsonic.com/assets/007/5670.pdf

* Zbox Zbox HD-ID11 - Windows 7 64bit , using XBMC, Windows Media Center, PowerStrip
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3497/zo...index.html

* Sony Amp with Audio/Video support, HDMI & Component inputs.
Have all sources going IN using Component, OUT using component to Projector (VGA).

* WiFi N+ Gigabit router
* HD Homerun tunner device (Connects to network and streams channels)
* ESata external Blue-Ray Lighton drive

Consoles are quite different and more user friendly. Anyways, your projector can not support 1080p @60hz.

You need to do it manually from your zbox graphics card settings. Your projector is native 720p but it can support 1080i (interlaced) which means the screen refresh rate will only max at 30hz any thing over that and you will get a blank screen.

So in your native graphics driver pannel (all of them should have it [intel, nvidia and ATI]" go to display then you should see general settings or monitor settings or display settings.

In there, under the Resolution you can choose 1920x1080 and under refresh Rate select 30 Hz.

Hopefully by doing this you will be able to see picture on your projector. I do this all the time with one of my old samsung HDTV's and it works perfect every time.

Cheers,
EG.
DaGround Wrote:why would someone watch fullhd movies on 1024x768??...
the ideal resolution is 1920x180p but it does work with lower resolutions, just to give it a try i pluged in an old lcd monitor with 1280x720. looks crappy but still works with the zbox hd11. nevr take 4:3 you get black bars on half the screen.

Thanks for replying..

"What do you mean nevr take 4:3"

I reset the projector to default and connected VGA directly to the HD-id11.
The onboard Nvidia now detects display and I have it set at native res. 1024 X 768.. Looks sharp but is still 4:3. So In XBMC I used "Calibrate Screen" and made it 16:9
It looks good.

This convinced me to stay with the Zbox..Still trying to outway the benefit of using a XBMC on PC over PS3 or Xbox 360. Considering I don't have Netflix, Hulu playing within XBMC.

I know the projector can do 1080i, that's what my Xbox and PS3 are putting out. (That's what the projector is saying when it detects the signal)
It is still 4:3, no matter what I change the video card to put out. The projector has a mode to change from 4:3 to 16:9 but compresses and it doesn't look as good as native 4:3

I would like to get the Zbox hd-id11 to output 1080i.. I will keep trying..

Thanks to all who replied and helped.

Is anyone using Netflix, HD Homerun, or Hulu inside of XBMC?
poofyhairguy Wrote:Sound like my old plasma- it too was 1024x768.

My short term solution was to use Linux to force that resolution, then used XBMC's video configurator to make the picture fix the screen.

The long term fix was to replace the old gal with a 1080p set.

Thanks for the reply...

Ya, Im also now considering moving to a true 1080p projector. (Optima HD20)
dan1son Wrote:The problem you'll have with 16x9 and 1024x768 is that 1024x768 is 4:3. If you put that projector in 16x9 it'll do one of two things, either crop the top and bottom off and use less than the full 1024x768 pixels, OR stretch the 1024 horizontal pixels so they're not square anymore. My guess is the latter.

That display claims it supports 720p resolution for input, that's 1280x720. You can try that, the projector will then convert that to the elongated 1024x768 screen. That's probably what your consoles are doing (if you're using VGA with them somehow?)

You can also choose 1024x768 output (that computer HAS to support that... it's a very standard size... just tell the computer you have a standard plug and play monitor plugged in, don't use drivers). Then you can set the projector to 16:9 and use XBMCs calibration to set the correct aspect ratios (the "square" calibration section, use a ruler).

Thanks for the reply..

DaGround Wrote:why would someone watch fullhd movies on 1024x768??...

Thanks for replying..Your exactly right.

I reset the projector to default and connected VGA directly to the HD-id11.
The onboard Nvidia now detects display and I have it set at native res. 1024 X 768.. Looks sharp but is still 4:3. So In XBMC I used "Calibrate Screen" and made it 16:9.. Chopped off like you said.
It looks good.

This convinced me to stay with the Zbox..Still trying to outway the benefit though of using a XBMC on PC over PS3 or Xbox 360. Considering I don't have Netflix, Hulu playing within XBMC.

I know the projector can do 1080i, that's what my Xbox and PS3 are putting out. (That's what the projector is saying when it detects the signal)
It is still 4:3, no matter what I change the video card to put out. The projector has a mode to change from 4:3 to 16:9 but compresses and it doesn't look as good as native 4:3

I would like to get the Zbox hd-id11 to output 1080i.. I will keep trying..

Is anyone using Netflix, HD Homerun, or Hulu inside of XBMC?
The projector can't do 1080i. It just can't. It's a faux setting.

The PC is putting out real pixels. The Projector is telling it what it can do and the PC is responding.
How is this XBMC's fault? You can't configure your OS.
Quote:How is this XBMC's fault? You can't configure your OS.
How is this useful? Other people are trying to help him, stay out.
vikjon0 Wrote:How is this useful? Other people are trying to help him, stay out.

Thanks..
darkscout Wrote:The projector can't do 1080i. It just can't. It's a faux setting.

The PC is putting out real pixels. The Projector is telling it what it can do and the PC is responding.

That's confusing since the projector OSD says ; 1080i when I connect xbox 360 (set to 1080i interlaced mode in xbox settings)
Just trying to get Win7 to spit 1080i out..

If I start getting enough 1080 content, I will most likely buy a new native 1080p projector.
The projector supports an incoming signal of 1080i. That does not mean that it has a 1920x1080 lcd panel. Support of 1080i is one of the criteria for the HDready logo that is widely used among display products.

So even though it can accept an incoming signal with more pixels, it doesn't have enough pixels to display all of them and hence needs to scale the picture down.

What you see in the image below is how the pixels are aligned, and since your projector is 4:3 there's no way of displaying 16:9 material on it without black borders.

It works just the same if you have a 16:9 cinema screen, you cannot fill the entire screen with the image from your projector since the ratio is so different.

Most movies are produced in 2.39:1 and that's why you'll get black borders on most 16:9 projectors and TV's, and there's nothing you can do about it without resizing the image and making people appear taller and thinner.
Pages: 1 2