Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV2] USB Mass Storage on ATV 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Amazing that XBMC has been ported over th ATV2. I was just aboiut to buy my folks a revo and install XBMC but the ATV may be a cheaper solution. One question I was wondering about though is can you attach and and mount a USB hard drive as they do not have a network at home.

If it is not possible now, is it realistic to think a hack may come out soon?
It isn't possible at the moment, but who knows what might happen down the road. This new atv2 setup seems best suited with a NAS.
I might be wrong, but I don't believe it will be possible in the future either, at least not without hardware hacks.
On the iPad, it is possible to connect a usb flash/hard drive using the "Apple Camera Connection Kit", and browse it using iFile.

Other devices also work like usb keyboards, speakers and mics.

So I bet someone, at least the iFile developer, knows how to do it and maybe can do the same for the ATV.
jmarshall Wrote:I might be wrong, but I don't believe it will be possible in the future either, at least not without hardware hacks.

Why are hardware hacks necessary?
doesnt have a hardware usb host port/controller. usb is slave only. Or something to that regard.

Stupid really, i guess they probably wanted to lockdown everything to itunes, can't figure out why else they would have removed such a simple/cheap feature.
Davilla the guy who made this port says it's not possible. Right now it's only possble to do network sharing (like SMB, UPnP etc) So if you're planning to get this for moms and pops I would suggets a NAS as well. I got the Tonido Plug (Also available is the Pogo Plug) then attach a USB HD to one of those guys....attach to your router then you can browse all the files on that HD.....for roughly $300-400. (atv2 being 100, tonido being 100 and a HD being 50-100)

Hope some of that helps Smile
ilm1 Wrote:Stupid really, i guess they probably wanted to lockdown everything to itunes, can't figure out why else they would have removed such a simple/cheap feature.

actually it would be something that they would have ADDED to the ATV2, not removed. Most devices with slave USB are not going to have a chip inside that can also do host. This is normal and not some evil plot by Apple.
Ned Scott Wrote:actually it would be something that they would have ADDED to the ATV2, not removed. Most devices with slave USB are not going to have a chip inside that can also do host. This is normal and not some evil plot by Apple.
uhm, not saying that it's an evil plot. 'removing' was just some accidentally wording, without extra thought. it doesn't matter if they "didn't add" or "did remove" it in the design. Ultimately, it isn't included, which is a pity.

edit: haha, ok. i did imply the evil plot thing Big Grin. Nevertheless, I didn't mean too much by it. Just wondering out loud why it wasn't included.
ilm1 Wrote:uhm, not saying that it's an evil plot. 'removing' was just some accidentally wording, without extra thought. it doesn't matter if they "didn't add" or "did remove" it in the design. Ultimately, it isn't included, which is a pity.

edit: haha, ok. i did imply the evil plot thing :D. Nevertheless, I didn't mean too much by it. Just wondering out loud why it wasn't included.

To be fair, I wouldn't put it past Apple to do that kind of thing, at least for their iOS devices. :)
They physically traced the pins. It's a no go.
Something everyone keeps forgetting is the Apple TV 2 is essentially an iPad in a different form factor.

The USB port is for diagnostics purposes only, The "motherboard" of the ATV2 seems to have the solder pads for a dock connector but obviously no dock connector...

Someone that's game enough to pull theirs apart and test it may find that the ports have full connections as per iPad... however the Apple TV won't be able to power a USB device as it has no internal 5v power (I think... I could be wrong), the PSU is 3.7v.
rj89 Wrote:Davilla the guy who made this port says it's not possible. Right now it's only possble to do network sharing (like SMB, UPnP etc) So if you're planning to get this for moms and pops I would suggets a NAS as well. I got the Tonido Plug (Also available is the Pogo Plug) then attach a USB HD to one of those guys....attach to your router then you can browse all the files on that HD.....for roughly $300-400. (atv2 being 100, tonido being 100 and a HD being 50-100) Hope some of that helps

Interesting. But how is streaming video?
Or you could pick up a WD My Book World Edition for $140 and save the hassle...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digi...&cp=1&lp=1
bircoe Wrote:Or you could pick up a WD My Book World Edition for $140 and save the hassle...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digi...&cp=1&lp=1
I have a hd attached to my router at home. usb port would be for portability reasons (going to friends/friends coming here wanting to show photo's on usb stick, vacation, etc...).

Also thought about a NAS as a half-way solution. But then you probably need to configure fixed ip's on both devices, or configure one to be a (dhcp) server when plugging it directly into the atv2, which is also a hassle.

I will just wait for you to test out the dock connector ;-)
Pages: 1 2