Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV2] ATV2 4.2.1 xbox install -- frontrow md5 checksum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i read this:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...MC_on_ATV2
yesterday and bought an apple tv 2 the same day.
the unit came with iOS 4.2
so i used the seas0npass method to patch , then tether boot
(which was really flaky -- it took many tries) but eventually i got the ssh enabled.
entered the commands. from the post above. as apt-get was doing its magic
i noticed i got an error :
"Frontrow app md5sum is unknown, not patching"

which i guess isn't good, but xbmc is working.
i would encourage anyone who wants to get atv2 to try and get an old one. the tethered boot option is a bit of a hassle.

thanks for reading.
I can't speak 100% on this, but I've been jailbreaking iOS devices for almost 2 years now and I can speculate on this.
Sometimes, when it comes to apple, it pays to be an early adopter. Even if it can't be jailbroken YET....if you save your SHSH files, that will allow you to load old firmware. Some of the jailbreaks don't require flashing firmware, but most of them do. And if apple is not signing them anymore (a method to combat jailbreakers) well you're SOL. So I'm pretty sure apple is not signing the old 4.1.x firmware for apple tv2. I don't know if all of the jailbreaks require you to flash new firmware, but I assume most will. I bought an ATV2 launch week for that reason, the jailbreak wasn't out yet but I backed up my SHSH blobs so I would have the earliest fw possible. Long story short...if you get your hands on an old ATV2 you may not be able to jailbreak it on that old firmware anyway. Let's just hope an untethered 4.2.1 comes out soon (which it looks like from the videos today it will be).