Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
@ Nemphys

Nemphys Wrote:Finally, I have noticed that if I turn the option "Ignore database blah blah" off in the EPG options, I soon get some weird inconsistencies in EPG data (so I currently have turned it on). Is this what I should do?

Could you please explain a bit about the inconcistensies? What weirdness is it that you notice?
I always set xbmc to 'ignore database' and did not find any inconsistensies that I can relate to this setting.
Nevertheless, I occasionaly do experience weird behaviour.
So I whould be glad to be able to confirm (or not) what's in the quote.

Cheers,

bas.
@ErAzOr2k:
as soon as it's implemented by margro. not at this time.

@moontan77:
never seen anything like that. you sure it's not an issue with the driver or device?
OK, I went on and compiled the latest source from git...
I am sorry to say that, after spending quite some time doing so, I totally regretted it, as everything seems to work worse with this build.

I will list all my problems, just in case I am missing something:
1) I still have to leave "Ignore Database for PVR-Server EPG" on, otherwise the EPG data gets f***d up after some time (haven't spotted exactly how or when). Btw, I think the option text should be changed to something more self-explanatory (I just *suppose* that this setting turns off the use of the internal XBMC EPG database and just uses what it reads from the backend).
2) Tags where imported fine to groups (*cool*), but only during the first launch (initial build of the database). Any changes made to the TvHeadend backend afterwards, were not re-synced (they were, only after I manually deleted EPG4.db). Also, there is no option to sort the imported groups somehow, so I was left with my most wanted group at the end of the list (have to press <return> 50 times to get to the right group when viewing).
3) The "Next Recording" popup on the main menu is totally wrong. It is stuck to a specific recording (definitely NOT the next one) and sticks to that, no matter how many recordings I add in between (does that after restart, even after deleting the TV and EPG db!). I thought it was the LAST recording, but I added a test recording after that and it didn't change. This used to work with the ppa build (it just usually needed a restart in order to refresh properly).
4) The TV Guide (in Timeline mode, at least) takes a long time to load (used to be much faster), not just the first time it is loaded, but every time I try to select it. Also, the last channel listed is not inside the current group (that was also wrong in the ppa build).
5) The Recordings menu does not refresh when a new recording starts running or finishes recording (has to be manually refreshed by either restarting or by some action, eg. delete a recording). Also, it would be really nice if deleting a recording would also delete the actual video file, not just the TvHeadend log file (don't know if this is a TvHeadend matter or XBMC).
6) Disabling a timer crashes XBMC (hadn't tried that before).
7) Pressing the record button while watching sometimes works (starts recording the current program immediately) but sometimes doesn't (schedules the next program on the EPG for recording). That is not a new problem, used to be like that wit the ppa version.
8) The new "Genre" info on the EPG is cool, but always displays "Drama" when the field is empty/not transmitted.

I hope I wasn't too thorough with this, but I just want to make sure that the developers have a detailed description of the problems, so that they can consider fixing them in the future.
I am returning to the ppa build for the time being and hope to hear some good news soon!

PS. dushmaniac, you are the man!
Nemphys Wrote:OK, I went on and compiled the latest source from git...
I am sorry to say that, after spending quite some time doing so, I totally regretted it, as everything seems to work worse with this build.
it's not been released to the ppa yet. use the pvr-ppa branch if you're just using xbmc, not developing. been said multiple times.

first of all, what git revision did you just test?

Quote:I will list all my problems, just in case I am missing something:
1) I still have to leave "Ignore Database for PVR-Server EPG" on, otherwise the EPG data gets f***d up after some time (haven't spotted exactly how or when). Btw, I think the option text should be changed to something more self-explanatory (I just *suppose* that this setting turns off the use of the internal XBMC EPG database and just uses what it reads from the backend).
the text should be changed indeed. this option should have nothing to do with the epg contents though. it only determines if Persist() is called or not.
pastebin a debug log of the event.

Quote:2) Tags where imported fine to groups (*cool*), but only during the first launch (initial build of the database). Any changes made to the TvHeadend backend afterwards, were not re-synced (they were, only after I manually deleted EPG4.db).
should have been fixed yesterday. if not, pastebin a debug log.

Quote:Also, there is no option to sort the imported groups somehow, so I was left with my most wanted group at the end of the list (have to press <return> 50 times to get to the right group when viewing).
not implemented yet.

Quote:3) The "Next Recording" popup on the main menu is totally wrong. It is stuck to a specific recording (definitely NOT the next one) and sticks to that, no matter how many recordings I add in between (does that after restart, even after deleting the TV and EPG db!). I thought it was the LAST recording, but I added a test recording after that and it didn't change. This used to work with the ppa build (it just usually needed a restart in order to refresh properly).
should have been fixed today.

Quote:4) The TV Guide (in Timeline mode, at least) takes a long time to load (used to be much faster), not just the first time it is loaded, but every time I try to select it. Also, the last channel listed is not inside the current group (that was also wrong in the ppa build).
noticed the delay too. will check it out. the group isn't implemented in that window yet.

Quote:5) The Recordings menu does not refresh when a new recording starts running or finishes recording (has to be manually refreshed by either restarting or by some action, eg. delete a recording).
should have been fixed yesterday. if not, again, a debug log.

Quote:Also, it would be really nice if deleting a recording would also delete the actual video file, not just the TvHeadend log file (don't know if this is a TvHeadend matter or XBMC).
that has only been implemented in tvheadend's webinterface recently. no idea if it's available in the htsp protocol, but will check that out later.

Quote:6) Disabling a timer crashes XBMC (hadn't tried that before).
never tried that either. thanks for reporting this.

Quote:7) Pressing the record button while watching sometimes works (starts recording the current program immediately) but sometimes doesn't (schedules the next program on the EPG for recording). That is not a new problem, used to be like that wit the ppa version.
never noticed it. don't use that feature much either Smile will check it out.

Quote:8) The new "Genre" info on the EPG is cool, but always displays "Drama" when the field is empty/not transmitted.
changed that yesterday. should work fine now. if not, please tell me.

Quote:I hope I wasn't too thorough with this, but I just want to make sure that the developers have a detailed description of the problems, so that they can consider fixing them in the future.
I am returning to the ppa build for the time being and hope to hear some good news soon!
thanks for the review.

please post things like this in the pvr development part of the forums next time: http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=136
Man, that was a fast reply!

It makes me wonder, since as you say many of my problems should have already been fixed.
I did a git clone https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc.git today (4/4/2011 around 5pm GMT+2 time), so all the fixes you mention should have been included (there are just 2-3 commits after that).
I didn't use https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc/tree/pvr-ppa, since I think that the last merge there was on March 23rd (do I miss something?). Wouldn't that mean that if I built this branch, I would get the same build as on the current ppa build?
Sorry if I don't get things right, I'm new to git.
Code:
git log -1
shows you the git revision that you are using.

changed some things after you pulled in that code. some other things might not have been fixed yet. but please provide a full debug log of all those events where I asked for it. hard to solve those problems otherwise.
git log -l just shows me the commits (revision?)
last one I see is:
commit 05bd3effade2559e28b34ef688420fada9d8af09
Date: Sun Apr 3 22:52:00 2011 +0200

There should be just 2 new after that (I don't think all of the matters are fixed by those 2, though).
Since it's too late for me today, I will try to send the dumps tomorrow afternoon.
Thanx again for the hard work
Hi
Under LiveTV settings and Replay there is one entry "Switch channel without pressing OK" I really want to think that this is meant to behave the same way MythTV do, but unfortunately it doesn't. Whatever you toggle the setting to it switches channels immediately without waiting for OK when watching live tv instead of just zap EPG/OSD data on screen, and when you have found your channel you press OK and channel will switch.
Or have I totally missunderstod the obvious? (or perhaps a feature not implemented yet).

The behaviour is the same on ppa as in latest git.

Really great work Dushmaniac and others, thanks. This and timeshifting and an MythTV oldtimer will switch camp.
Kosmosnautti Wrote:Victory at last!

Just got it working, needed to add new login thru the webconfig of tvheadend for XBMC to connect.

However, I still didn't get EPG data to show up. But, selecting "Ignore Database for PVR-Server EPG" from "Live TV > EPG" fixed everything, and now I have the correct EPG on all of my channels! Smile

Thanks again for helping me out Smile

Could you better explain your solution ?
I have the same problem on a fresh ubuntu 10.4 install, following first post steps
Thank you
Does anybody know if TVHeadend works with North America satellite providers? (ie. DVB-S, Turbo 8PSK, Dish EEPG data, etc)
sofakng Wrote:Does anybody know if TVHeadend works with North America satellite providers? (ie. DVB-S, Turbo 8PSK, Dish EEPG data, etc)

Yes (except the eepg), and that is all I can say on this forum.
No channels in Xbmc!
I have followed the instructions on page 1. Every think seems ok. I have scanned the proper transponders and the channels are mapped in Tvheadend. I have configured the tvheadend in xbmc and i have turned it on in System->tvsettings. But no channels in 'Live TV'.
I tryed to record 10 minutes in tvheadend and it worked well. Any suggestions?
@Garlic12
could you pastebin a full debug log please
JackBurton, Garlic12:
Since some recent build of TvHeadend, one must explicitly add login privileges to the user XBMC is using to connect to it (before that, you could just use the admin login data of TvHeadend), through the backend (Configuration->Access Control). The new entry there must match the login information of the TvHeadend plugin in XBMC.
Nemphys Wrote:JackBurton, Garlic12:
Since some recent build of TvHeadend, one must explicitly add login privileges to the user XBMC is using to connect to it (before that, you could just use the admin login data of TvHeadend), through the backend (Configuration->Access Control). The new entry there must match the login information of the TvHeadend plugin in XBMC.

Thank you Nemphys,
this fixed my problem,
It works also leaving a blank login (no user, no password).

To Dushmaniac:

DVB-S channels from tvheadend are chopppy, the osd debug indicates about 18 fps.. cpu load 20%.. i have VDPAU enabled and dvx and hd movies (from youtube and vimeo) are good ... only dvb-s live tv channels are stuttering..
Is this a known tvheadend issue or maybe i have to change some kind of config in xbmc ?
In tvheadend forum ther's a similar thread without answers.

Thank you.
Bye