Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [iPad] Buffering too frequently on iPad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
XBMC needs to buffer every minute or so on my iPad, which makes movies unwatchable.

Doesn't seem like this should need to happen; I should have enough bandwidth on my Wireless N network, especially when I'm standing right next to my router. Indeed, I can watch videos wirelessly (non-transcoded) without these constant interruptions with other programs on my PC.
Go to Settings > Video > Playback > a/v sync > and put that on audioclock. Since i changed that i have no buffers anymore on 720p mkv
Reverb Wrote:Go to Settings > Video > Playback > a/v sync > and put that on audioclock. Since i changed that i have no buffers anymore on 720p mkv
As mentioned on similar thread- in the ipad, the option of changing the a/v sync method is unavailable. any way to get this working will be great. TIA.
What i did, is put off hardware decoding option and then you be able to change the a/v sync. When you did that... put hardware decoding again on!
Reverb Wrote:What i did, is put off hardware decoding option and then you be able to change the a/v sync. When you did that... put hardware decoding again on!
awesome. thanks for the suggestion. By the way- where is the "hardware decoding" option? Are you talking about the "allow hardware acceleration" option? Changing that option didn't change anything. Thanks for your help.
iqjump123 Wrote:awesome. thanks for the suggestion. By the way- where is the "hardware decoding" option? Are you talking about the "allow hardware acceleration" option? Changing that option didn't change anything. Thanks for your help.
Okay- it seems that the "sync playback to display" setting also needs to be turned on as well in order to be able to change the a/v sync method (yes, pretty obvious now that I think about it :p)

However, I changed it to audio clock, and it still is quite choppy. I tried turning on and off the hardware acceleration option as well into the mix, but what I tried still gave me choppy playback. Any other suggestions?
thanks again.
I'm also having problems watching divx kids cartoon. It's buffered 5 times in the first 2 minutes. This is after I changed the audio sync option!

As is, xbmc is useless on the ipad.
"Settings > Video > Playback > a/v sync > and put that on audioclock"

I'm unable to select that setting no matter whatever else I change.

Even that issue aside, XBMC is not really usable yet. No seek bar for video... you've got to be kidding me.

That said, I am not trying to disparage the coolness of this even existing to begin with.
Chriscic Wrote:Even that issue aside, XBMC is not really usable yet. No seek bar for video... you've got to be kidding me.

You have to be kidded me Smile have you any clue what it took to get to this point at all ? And not just one but two, atv2 and ios for the price of one.

For your information, it's a skin issue regarding a seek bar and we have already stated that we are challenging skin devs to start creating proper skins for touch capable devices.

Gezz, there's no pleasing some people.
davilla Wrote:You have to be kidded me Smile have you any clue what it took to get to this point at all ? And not just one but two, atv2 and ios for the price of one.

For your information, it's a skin issue regarding a seek bar and we have already stated that we are challenging skin devs to start creating proper skins for touch capable devices.

Hey- don't get worry- we definitely appreciate the efforts xbmc does to make this available for free! I even decided to go through the entire jailbreaking process to use this software after hearing about it- vlc wasn't doing its job properly before yanked at the store. I guess after hearing news about this software being able to run up to 1080p video files smoothly- us users were expecting so much from the beginning.

I understand that issues are coming up, and I believe the seek bar is an issue, and would I then have to assume that this buffering issue that everybody else is going through is something that you guys are working on as well?

I appreciate your efforts, and I am sure all the other users are as well.
Davilla I 2nd this comment I'm amazed it has reached this point and personally have full confidence in the XBMC team to pull through any issues as they come up as they have always done in the past. Don't take criticism from users too harshly they will always want more (being a developer myself I know the pains of the underappreciated). Keep up the good work!

iqjump123 Wrote:Hey- don't get worry- we definitely appreciate the efforts xbmc does to make this available for free! I even decided to go through the entire jailbreaking process to use this software after hearing about it- vlc wasn't doing its job properly before yanked at the store. I guess after hearing news about this software being able to run up to 1080p video files smoothly- us users were expecting so much from the beginning.

I understand that issues are coming up, and I believe the seek bar is an issue, and would I then have to assume that this buffering issue that everybody else is going through is something that you guys are working on as well?

I appreciate your efforts, and I am sure all the other users are as well.
just to let devs and users know it can work out:
watched 3 movies and 2 tv-shows since release. all played fine over a wireless-n network with ca. 1 buffer per 30min
xbmc on the ipad is connected to a mysql-db, so that works as well

containers/codecs used where mkv/h264/AC5.1|AAC2.0 or mp4/h264/AC35.1|AAC2.0
if available, i choose the aac 2.0 track

video format was 1024x576
using 720 or 1080 material, buffering happens more often

kind regards,
dreamkp
dreamkp Wrote:just to let devs and users know it can work out:
watched 3 movies and 2 tv-shows since release. all played fine over a wireless-n network with ca. 1 buffer per 30min
xbmc on the ipad is connected to a mysql-db, so that works as well

containers/codecs used where mkv/h264/AC5.1|AAC2.0 or mp4/h264/AC35.1|AAC2.0
if available, i choose the aac 2.0 track

video format was 1024x576
using 720 or 1080 material, buffering happens more often

kind regards,
dreamkp
Hmm so I guess HOW the movie was encoded also matters in buffer generation..? I don't know how the movies I looked at were encoded in the first place, other than that it is 450p. Well I will keep myself updated to the forums, and meanwhile will use handbrake for converting movies Smile

thanks.
Their is advancedsettings to set the buffer size which was added after Dharma but not sure wheather Davilla picked up the change.
davilla Wrote:You have to be kidded me Smile have you any clue what it took to get to this point at all ? And not just one but two, atv2 and ios for the price of one.

You may have missed the end of my post which said:

"That said, I am not trying to disparage the coolness of this even existing to begin with."

Let me be clear in thanking you and the XBMC team for even creating it, porting it, and giving it to me for free : ) Again, very very cool.

But I thought (per another thread) that XBMC doesn't currently have a seek bar on any platform. Incorrect? If true then definite opportunity there. Cheers
Pages: 1 2