Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV2] Clarification on HW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

not using an aTV2 yet, but would like to get some infos about current dev status, and HW limitations.
At the moment, it only outputs 720p, where XBMC can decode 1080p no problem internally. My 1. question would be, do we know that the output is 720p only (by means of HW restrictions).
Or is Apple just blocking 1080p output somehow in Software?

2. questions is in regards to Bluetooth.
I saw an Git update about adding Bluetooth support.
Does that mean the aTV2 has Bluetooth already build in?

I have my PS3 remote currently controlling my Linux XBMC, and would love to re-use it on the aTV as well.

Thanks in advance.
derchris
derchris Wrote:Hi all,

not using an aTV2 yet, but would like to get some infos about current dev status, and HW limitations.
At the moment, it only outputs 720p, where XBMC can decode 1080p no problem internally. My 1. question would be, do we know that the output is 720p only (by means of HW restrictions).
Or is Apple just blocking 1080p output somehow in Software?

2. questions is in regards to Bluetooth.
I saw an Git update about adding Bluetooth support.
Does that mean the aTV2 has Bluetooth already build in?

I have my PS3 remote currently controlling my Linux XBMC, and would love to re-use it on the aTV as well.

Thanks in advance.
derchris

I am not going to answer 1. because it has been answered multiple times
as for 2. That is more for the iphone from what i can tell..
yes, aTV2 has Bluetooth already build in. apple has just not exposed it but other atv2 devs have.
davilla Wrote:yes, aTV2 has Bluetooth already build in. apple has just not exposed it but other atv2 devs have.

SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?

Bluetooth keyboard support would rock
Numus Wrote:I am not going to answer 1. because it has been answered multiple times
as for 2. That is more for the iphone from what i can tell..

Then please show me a thread where this has been answered.
Couldn't find one which has more detailed information about the HDMI HW used on the aTV2, and if it "could" do 1080p.

As we seen with Bluetooth now, there could be something hidden in the HW specs.
derchris Wrote:Then please show me a thread where this has been answered.
Couldn't find one which has more detailed information about the HDMI HW used on the aTV2, and if it "could" do 1080p.

As we seen with Bluetooth now, there could be something hidden in the HW specs.
The gpu is basically an INTEL GMA 500... system limitations are going to prevent a 1080p output without frameloss... one of the biggest problems will be avalible ram (256mb)...
Just look at the acer revo... The Ion Platform + 1 gighz ram and it barely played 1080p until the files were optimized better..
If you are really worried about 1080p buy a real HTPC...
Numus,
Never had any issue with my Revo 1GB Ram playing 1080P content yet.

We definitely need the GPU to process any video files played on the ATV2. The CPU isn't gonna be up to snuff. But we'll see what the developer can do with the limitations. They've always found ways to amaze me in the past.
No problems playing anything on my Revo.
But then, it has 2 GB memory.
And 1080p is also playing on my iphone, and will be on my new aTV2.
It's just the output. The GPU can/could handle that.
I believe there is a softhack from Apple preventing this.
People please read.. you can use 1gb on a revo now, but at the launch of the XBMC linux branch on the revo.. you had to have 2 gb of ram or else it suffered on true 1080p... as i said in the statement, "until the files were optimized better".
We are still talking about a 1.5+ Gighz Atom CPU, with an ION GPU and 1gb+ DDR2 (or ddr3 with the new platform)
Compared to an ARM Cortex A8 1.0 Gighz with barely 256 mb avalible...
derchris Wrote:No problems playing anything on my Revo.
But then, it has 2 GB memory.
And 1080p is also playing on my iphone, and will be on my new aTV2.
It's just the output. The GPU can/could handle that.
I believe there is a softhack from Apple preventing this.

How could the GPU handle it? and there is no way your iphone is outputting 1080p...

Just do the math.. to render the image you are eating at its only avalible memory (there is no dedicated to GPU function only from the spec sheets i can see)... So start calculating how much of the 256 mb is actually avalible...

Also FYI the iphone 4 has 512 MB of ram vs the apple tv at 256...
You don't need more than 256MBs of RAM to render 1080p if you watch your resources and don't use brute force solutons.

ATV2 uses a PowerVR 535 for GPU and hw decoder. All PowerVR 535 are not alike so you can't make general comparisons.
davilla Wrote:You don't need more than 256MBs of RAM to render 1080p if you watch your resources and don't use brute force solutons.

ATV2 uses a PowerVR 535 for GPU and hw decoder. All PowerVR 535 are not alike so you can't make general comparisons.

Davilla it isnt a question of rendering 1080p on 256MB of RAM... It is a question of rendering 1080p while supporting the OS on 256MB of RAM.. the A4 doesnt have Dedicated RAM on board for gpu functions... It has to pull system memory...
Looks like they built it on 640kb L2 although the 1MB would have been better... Wonder if the cpu can be overclocked to give it a performance boost...
Then using a VXD375, it looks like apple specifically designed this setup with only 720p in mind... you would think if the system was stable enough to handle 1080p they would have included it, even if it isnt practical it would be a consumer selling point..
Apple-TV:~ root# sysctl -a hw.cpufrequency
hw.cpufrequency: 1000000000

Well it doesn't appear Apple wanted to hide the clock speed of this device like they did for their ipad and iphone 4... Good to know it isnt underclocked
davilla Wrote:ATV2 uses a PowerVR 535 for GPU and hw decoder.

PowerVR SGX 535 to be specific.
Numus Wrote:Then using a VXD375, it looks like apple specifically designed this setup with only 720p in mind... you would think if the system was stable enough to handle 1080p they would have included it, even if it isnt practical it would be a consumer selling point..

Apple has always been known to only expose what fit's into their long range plans. 720p is what they stream for rentals, they have no need to expose anything else because then they get user complaints about apple not streaming 1080p. This happened with the first AppleTV, it could display 1080p and Apple got hit with users wanting to stream 1080p rentals which they do not do.
davilla Wrote:Apple has always been known to only expose what fit's into their long range plans. 720p is what they stream for rentals, they have no need to expose anything else because then they get user complaints about apple not streaming 1080p. This happened with the first AppleTV, it could display 1080p and Apple got hit with users wanting to stream 1080p rentals which they do not do.

Sorry, I realised going back and rereading all the information that I am applying a samsung business model to this product. Since I have dedicated a lot of time getting to know samsung's business model and predicting what is in the future and what it is capable of. I only assumed based upon the fact the A4 was designed by samsung and then tweaked relabeled the S5PC110 hummingbird (chip that is in the galaxy line of devices) that Apple had the same business plan. Then i realized how flawed this argument is. But I think all this is a moot point in the end. It doesn't appear that even if capable, that this device will output 1080p anytime in the near future. The statement "If you want 1080p output, the apple tv is NOT the way to go" still holds true, and no one should buy this with the intent that the future will allow it.
Pages: 1 2