Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why does the app need to read my SMSs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The access rights seem mostly ok for the Official XBMC Remote, but the following are peculiar. Are these access rights really needed for the app to function, and if so, why?

• Receive SMS, read SMS or MMS
  • Your personal information: Read contact data
it will show you them for incoming calls or incoming sms.
Thanks makes sense- just don't forward the SMSs anywhere Tongue
I have two comments:

1. As far as I know none of the developers are interested reading other's sms messages. Rather they spend time to make the application better and more fun to use.
2. If you have fear that your messages end in strangers' hand then you should consider not using the android phone at all, since it is a confirmed bug in the android messenger application that it sometimes sends sms to a wrong number...
Eklar Wrote:Thanks makes sense- just don't forward the SMSs anywhere Tongue

Well, if you don't trust it, the source is available. Smile
Eklar Wrote:Thanks makes sense- just don't forward the SMSs anywhere Tongue

If you're that paranoid..go download the source and read through it yourself.

Plus..yeah...the dev's really want all your sexting messages for their records.... tinfoil hat?
Don't worry Eklar I share your LEGITIMATE concern about this app having access to features it doesn't need to or at least a setting that can disable them.

Don't worry about the other dodo's posting here as security is a paramount concern to many users!

Thats the reason why instead of this remote i'm using this one that was linked to in an earlier post:

http://chandan-pitta.blogspot.com/2010/0...d-app.html

Other than not accessing sms etc. for me it has a really good function like the iphone xbmc app that has a play from here option.
apache Wrote:Don't worry Eklar I share your LEGITIMATE concern about this app having access to features it doesn't need to or at least a setting that can disable them.
1. The permissions are used to show incoming calls and sms on your XBMC.
2. If you disable incoming calls and sms in the settings it won't read contacts or sms.
3. If you don't like it: go ahead, checkout the source from svn, remove the permissions from the manifest and make your own build.
I prefer to use something which doesn't have the ability to read sms etc at all.

There are also lots of people who don't want to examine source code and alter manifests etc. So for them there is another option as linked to earlier.

The chandan-pitta remote is also more feature rich right now. For me the ability like the iphone xbmc remote to recursively play all video from here is a real killer feature and one of the strongest reasons i also use it.

I do notice however that this app is scheduled to get "play all from here" at release 1.0 so might have to re-evaluate then.

In all fairness the official app looks more polished and seamless. Chandan's interface is a little cluttered and use of similar icons for many functions means you have to play around with it for a while before you get used to where everything is.

The beauty is try out both see which one you prefer or use both.

Cheers.