Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Disable Various Artists Detection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have several FLAC albums that contain both "Album Artist" and "Artist" tags with identical values. I am certain they are tagged properly. However, no matter what I've tried I can't keep these albums from appearing under "Various Artists". There are no ID3 Tags.

XBMC should not even be attempting to guess at my intentions here. At the very least this should be an optional "feature".

According to the manual this is incorrect:

Quote:If any of the songs assigned to the Album name have an Album Artist tag, then XBMC assumes the user knows what they're doing, and this album is also ruled out from being a compilation.

Exactly what must be done to be absolutely certain that a file will not show up under various artists? The manual is incorrect.
The manual is correct.

What may not be correct is XBMC *may* not be picking up your album artist tag.

EXACTLY what is it?
jmarshall Wrote:The manual is correct.

What may not be correct is XBMC *may* not be picking up your album artist tag.

EXACTLY what is it?

I use Jaikoz for tagging and the author of the software states that the tag used is ALBUMARTIST
Where are the files located?

How many files in the folder?

Are all the files from the same album?

Do all the files from the same album have the same ALBUMARTIST ?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Quote:Where are the files located?
The files are mounted via NFS on a NAS server share
/media/audio/Music/Lossless/ where /media/audio is mounted to 192.168.1.101/music via NFS

Quote:How many files in the folder?
My usual convention is directory layout of just the flac files, one md5 checksum file and a subdirectory containing miscellaneous files (.cue, .log, etc.). So I guess the answer depends on how many tracks on the given album.

Quote:Are all the files from the same album?
No. Two Bela Fleck albums, Demon Days by Gorrillaz, and Best of Bach.

Quote:Do all the files from the same album have the same ALBUMARTIST ?
Yes, I also suspected that might be the problem so I specifically checked for that.
Ok, to be clearer. For just one of those albums (say Demon Days):

1. Are all the files in the same folder?
2. Are there any other files (from different albums) in that folder?
3. Do all the files in the folder have the same ARTIST tag?
4. Do all the files in the folder have the same ALBUMARTIST tag?

I think the next step is probably getting it reproducible with a simpler file set - it possibly requires only 2 tracks to do so. Just move 2 of 'em to another folder and scan that in and see if it does the same thing - you may want to create a new profile to mess around so that it doesn't mess up your main library. If you can get it reproducible with just 2 files, then getting us the files so we can reproduce is the next step.

Cheers,
Jonathan
jmarshall Wrote:Ok, to be clearer. For just one of those albums (say Demon Days):

1. Are all the files in the same folder?

Yes

jmarshall Wrote:2. Are there any other files (from different albums) in that folder?
No

jmarshall Wrote:3. Do all the files in the folder have the same ARTIST tag?
Yes

jmarshall Wrote:4. Do all the files in the folder have the same ALBUMARTIST tag?
Yes

I will try the process of elimination as suggested to see if I can find the specific files that are causing the problem.
Is there still a way to disable this?
I imported a large FLAC collection as a test, and the only mistakes I found were when it was actually reading the .CUE file to get info or picking up on the "ensemble" or "album artist" (note the space) that had been left over from the source the files came from. After I changed the settings of my tagger to remove any existing tags (so I didn't have to look for certain ones), and also added .cue and .m3u to the ignore list in AdvancedSettings.xml, then everything imported correctly.