Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [ALSA] Dual Analog Output
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finally got my receiver and speakers setup but for watching TV I usually just turn on my TV. However constantly flipping between HDMI out and Digital Out sucked. The "dual audio out" doesn't look like it's going to get merged any time soon so... I went digging through ALSA tutorials.

So I just told ALSA to dump to both sinks and I'll choose via volume control which one I want.

Analog: Custom
Custom: both2

My asound.conf
Code:
pcm.multi2 {
    type multi
    slaves.a.pcm "hw:0,1"
    slaves.a.channels 2
    slaves.b.pcm "hw:1,3"
    slaves.b.channels 2
    bindings.0.slave a
    bindings.0.channel 0
    bindings.1.slave a
    bindings.1.channel 1
    bindings.2.slave b
    bindings.2.channel 0
    bindings.3.slave b
    bindings.3.channel 1
}

pcm.both2 {
    type route
    slave.pcm "multi2"
    slave.channels 4
    ttable.0.0 1
    ttable.1.1 1
    ttable.0.2 1
    ttable.1.3 1
}

hw0,1 is my SPDIF out.
hw1,3 is my GT220 HDMI out.
I will have to try this =)
Was looking for a solution to be able to get simultaneous sound playing through both my 210 hdmi card and onboard audio.
Don't want to have the TV on when playing music only =)
Only downside is for anything that's AAC I have setup as pass through, which means it goes to the stereo only. When I want to watch something on the TV that's AAC, change to "Analog" and this works.
HELP!!!!
I'm trying to follow this and I keep getting an error saying

"failed to initialize audio device".

Perhaps I have something wrong in my setup.

I have the following:
audio output: Analog
Speaker Config: 2.0
Audio output device: Custom
custom audio device: both2

I saved the asound setting above into a file called ".asoundrc" and saved it in my home directory.

Have I missed something?

I'm trying to get this to work so that I can have audio going to the second zone of my onkyo receiver. The 2nd zone only takes analog audio. So, I want the first zone to come from the HDMI feed and the second zone to come from the headphone out of my Acer Revo 1600.

Thanks in advance.
Nevermind.

I was able to help myself and now I'm a little be wiser in the ways of Linux. My cards & devices weren't the same as yours. As soon as I ran aplay I was able to figure it out.

Thanks. This was still a huge help.

BTW, maybe you can help with two related questions:
The audio to my analog device is really low. I have to turn my receiver to maximum to be able to hear it. Any way to boost it?
I can't get XBMC to downmix AC3 audio to my second device. This isn't a big issue as 99.9% of the time I only want mp3 or aac audio going to the second device but it would be nice if everything worked.

Thanks again.