Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Choppy playback of trailers in window-mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
I experience some sort of choppy video playback when trailers are being played in a separate window within the skin. The same trailers plays absolutely fine when displayed in fullscreen.

I use Sams image on an ATV 1.0 currently with Neon skin. However this also occurs when using the confluence skin and others as well. So it shouldn't be skin related. Oh and I have an CHD 0015 installed but the problem also occurs without the card. Oh and it's just video, audio is fine both in windowed and fullscreen mode.

- Apple TV v1.0
- Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS, 2.6.24-28-generic i686). Built on Dec 17 2010 (SVN:35648)
- Neon SVN [v7.2.0
- Trailer: Audio: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a) Video: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part10) (avc1)

http://pastebin.com/vscqFUYT

Any help is greatly appreciated!
It could be that the gpu is simply too slow for this.
Thank you for your response!
I really doubt that it is not capable of playing an 8MB low definition MP4 (and any other trailer format) file because:

1. It will play the same trailer fullscreen with about 30% cpu usage
2. The atv is capable of playing 720p material just fine (without CHD)
3. When played in a window the fps drops to an even number (depends on the skin but is usually either 10 or 20 fps) and will stay exactly at this number while the cpu usage is over 90% (no matter what the framerate is)

Or am I missing something here?
Turn chd acceleration off, see if that helps.
OK I just finished testing different combinations of skins and hardware accelerators. And the result is strange.
The best performance I got was when disabling both CHD and VDPAU. That gave me almost perfect playback in the NEON skin, pretty good playback in Confluence and choppy playback in AEON65. Also it gave me the lowest CPU usage while having the highest framerate.
With CHD and / or VDPAU enabled i got more or less choppy playback depending on the skin.
So my conclusion/guess is this: Trailers in windowed mode are not accelerated but while trying to do so the system slows down. Is this possible?
There's really not that much difference between rendering fullscreen or rendering when in the gui, except when you're in the gui the gpu also has to render the skin.
The video timing is a little different when you're in the gui, that could explain it.