Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ASUS EB1501P - Problem setting up IR receiver / remote and Lirc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,

I have been trying to set up a new Asus eeebox EB1501P running XBMC over ubuntu, however I am having trouble setting up the remote control.

The 1501P comes with a built in IR receiver and Windows Media Centre remote.

I have tried the following guides in attempting to set it up:
But have had no success.

Further, the receiver does not appear when I use

Quote:cat /proc/bus/input/devices

and I get no response or a no such file or directory error when trying

Quote:irw

The receiver does work under windows - so the hardware is good. I think the problem is ubuntu recognising the IR receiver, but am unsure how to go about rectifying this. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

My details

XBMC version: 10.0 r35648
Ubuntu version: 10.10 - 32bit
Architecture: i686
Install Method: PPAs
Debug: http://pastebin.com/BmFwBUPs
the it87 module that lirc uses for the ir receiver doesn't work properly with the kernel in ubuntu 10.10. You'll have to use 10.04 for now.
Cheers, I shall give that a go.
also note that on some EB1501P, atleast on mine, the ir device is moved from /sys/devices/pnp0/00:09 to /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0a, which means you might need to make some changes to the activation script

i'll post my complete solution when i'm back home in a few hours :p
here we go.

These settings are for EB1501P only. For EB1501/EB1501U, all instances of 00:0a should be replaced with 00:09.

/etc/lirc/hardware.conf:
Quote:REMOTE="Windows Media Center Remotes (new version Philips et al.)"
REMOTE_MODULES="lirc_dev lirc_it87"
REMOTE_DRIVER=""
REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"
REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""
TRANSMITTER="None"
TRANSMITTER_MODULES=""
TRANSMITTER_DRIVER=""
TRANSMITTER_DEVICE=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_CONF=""
TRANSMITTER_LIRCD_ARGS=""
START_LIRCD="true"
LOAD_MODULES="true"
LIRCMD_CONF=""
REMOTE_SOCKET=""
TRANSMITTER_SOCKET=""
START_LIRCMD=""
FORCE_NONINTERACTIVE_RECONFIGURATION=""

/etc/lirc/lircd.conf:
Quote:include "/usr/share/lirc/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb"

/etc/pm/sleep.d/01_lirc:
Quote:#!/bin/sh
# Fix lirc_it87 suspend and hibernate problems
case $1 in
hibernate)
/etc/init.d/lirc stop
modprobe -r lirc_it87
modprobe -r lirc_dev
echo disable > /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0a/resources
;;
suspend)
/etc/init.d/lirc stop
modprobe -r lirc_it87
modprobe -r lirc_dev
echo disable > /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0a/resources
;;
thaw)
/etc/init.d/lirc start
;;
resume)
/etc/init.d/lirc start
;;
*) echo "LIRC it87 fix script: wrong argument!"
;;
esac

/etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf:
Quote:alias char-major-61 lirc_dev
options lirc_it87 irq=05 io=0x2f8
install lirc_it87 echo activate > /sys/devices/pnp0/00:0a/resources ; modprobe --ignore-install lirc_it87 $CMDLINE_OPTS

/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml:
http://213.112.195.143/remote.xml

there are some of my personal customizations in there such as subtitle control on the colored buttons, but that's a matter of taste i guess.

note that for suspend/resume to work properly you also need to disable the usb 3.0 module before sleeping:

/etc/pm/sleep.d/01_fix-usb3:
Quote:#!/bin/sh
# Fix USB3 suspend and hibernate problems
case $1 in
hibernate)
modprobe -r xhci
;;
suspend)
modprobe -r xhci
;;
thaw)
modprobe xhci
;;
resume)
modprobe xhci
;;
*) echo "USB3 fix script: wrong argument!"
;;
esac

cheers Smile
Excellent... your solution worked brilliantly Deppan. Smile

Remote was working perfectly after installing ubuntu 10.04, running through the first few steps of the minimal Ubuntu / XBMC guide and following your steps above...

that is until I realised I hadn't followed through all the steps on the http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._PC_EB1501 guide for the built in remote and thought I better just make sure I had done everything to avoid problems in the future....

I somehow broke XBMC so that it crashes on startup... not sure how - can post logs later if anyone cares.

In any event, I didn't seem to need the startup scripts that the guides use to get the remote working. When I redo my setup tomorrow I shall report back with the steps I needed to get the remote working.

Thanks for all the help - glad to know I can get the remote working on ubuntu.
markwr Wrote:In any event, I didn't seem to need the startup scripts that the guides use to get the remote working.

That's because i've moved that part into /etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf instead Smile
deppan Wrote:here we go.

These settings are for EB1501P only. For EB1501/EB1501U, all instances of 00:0a should be replaced with 00:09.

/etc/lirc/hardware.conf:

/etc/lirc/lircd.conf:

/etc/pm/sleep.d/01_lirc:

/etc/modprobe.d/lirc.conf:

/home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/remote.xml:
http://213.112.195.143/remote.xml

there are some of my personal customizations in there such as subtitle control on the colored buttons, but that's a matter of taste i guess.

note that for suspend/resume to work properly you also need to disable the usb 3.0 module before sleeping:

/etc/pm/sleep.d/01_fix-usb3:

cheers Smile

Could you write a retards guide for installing/setting up Lirc - from beginning to end on a 1501P? I've never used a remote before, and never set up Lirc on Ubuntu. It gets especially troublesome when Ubuntu is messing with the drivers, as well.
WonderStivi Wrote:Could you write a retards guide for installing/setting up Lirc - from beginning to end on a 1501P? I've never used a remote before, and never set up Lirc on Ubuntu. It gets especially troublesome when Ubuntu is messing with the drivers, as well.

It's really not that much to do, except for what i wrote above.

Firstly, use ubuntu 10.04. The it87 module doesn't work properly in 10.10.
secondly, install lirc:
sudo apt-get install lirc lirc-modules-source
(doesnt matter what you answer to the questions about remote etc)
and finally, edit the files as listed in my entry above. Use sudo for files that aren't in your home directory. gedit or nano are handy text editors.
Deppan. I have XBMC going perfectly now on my 1501P. Thanks very much for your advice.Smile

My process was:
1. install Ubuntu 10.04

2. install xbmc (I also installed xbmc-standalone so I don't have to run a window manager)

3. install lirc

4. edited the files you have listed above http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=709948&postcount=5

5. fixed alsa (with help from this page: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9...ostcount=8 - be careful that the kernal number is correct for you install - NOTE: I did not need to follow this whole process, just install the alsa backports and unmute the correct channel)

Quote:sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-alsa-2.6.32-28-generic alsa-utils
sudo reboot

after reboot, I unmuted the hdmi channel...

Quote:alsamixer

selected the NVidia card (card 1 in my case) and unmuted (by hitting 'm') the first two boxes... see the page above if you need more info - your setup may be different to mine.

I saved that config...

Quote:sudo alsactl store

6. and I was done!

Now I just have to set my remote up how I like it and I am complete again...
Once again, thank you Deppan for your help.
Armed with your post and a strong cut&paste personality I was able to bring the Asus remote to life Big Grin.

I was able, however, to ruin everything on my own :o. The remote stopped working consistently after some kind of kernel update.
uname -r gives me:

Code:
2.6.32-29-generic
I've tried to play with
Code:
sudo grub-set-default xxx
to revert back to an older kernel but with no luck.

I said "working consistently" because sometimes the remote works and then the next reboot it doesn't :confused2: (even with the same kernel choice).

What can I do to fix this behavior? Anyone else is experiencing this behavior?
MindFlavor Wrote:Once again, thank you Deppan for your help.
Armed with your post and a strong cut&paste personality I was able to bring the Asus remote to life Big Grin.

I was able, however, to ruin everything on my own :o. The remote stopped working consistently after some kind of kernel update.
uname -r gives me:

Code:
2.6.32-29-generic
I've tried to play with
Code:
sudo grub-set-default xxx
to revert back to an older kernel but with no luck.

I said "working consistently" because sometimes the remote works and then the next reboot it doesn't :confused2: (even with the same kernel choice).

What can I do to fix this behavior? Anyone else is experiencing this behavior?
You're welcome Smile

This might have to do with the lirc update that what pushed recently. It seemed to wipe the configuration files for some reason. Check the files listed in my post and rewrite them if they seem to have been modified Smile
deppan Wrote:You're welcome Smile

This might have to do with the lirc update that what pushed recently. It seemed to wipe the configuration files for some reason. Check the files listed in my post and rewrite them if they seem to have been modified Smile

That happened to me when they pushed an update for lirc a few weeks ago. IIRC it was just one config file that got wiped, and it was a simple fix.
deppan Wrote:You're welcome Smile

Well... thank you again. I don't know what happened but copy-n-pasting your code again worked (although it seemed unchanged Smile).
I'm beginning to think that your code is some kind of medieval magic spell to be cast from time to time... :o

Thx
To all you that have problem with the it87 driver, i have some news for you.
I have contacted the lirc devs through OpenELEC dev. And now we are going to fix the drivers so they work out of the box. We are going to integrate them to the kernel and fix all issues. However, to do this we need to donate an asus eee box eb1501P to the lircdev, so he can work on it.

Donations will be collected at http://www.openelec.tv the button is in the top menu.
So we would appreciate any donation to give the dev this box.
Pages: 1 2