Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Profile Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running XBMC 10.0 r35648 on a AppleTV. I recently upgraded from XBMC 9.11(i think that's what it was).

I am trying to set up a couple of profiles. When I go into Settings>Profiles there is a profile there called "Master User". Is this the default profile? Is that supposed to be there?

Ultimately I'm trying to setup different profiles one for my kids, with its own custom home menu and custom library, and the same for my wife.

Is it okay to delete the "Master User" and start from scratch? I don't remeber if i had any profiles setup on my 9.11 version of XBMC.
Well, I have determined that "Master User" is exactly what it says it is the master user, the default user. That being said I did try to customize the main menu by editting home.xml and all went well.

I added a menu that says "kids" and when you click it, it loads the kids profile i setup. I acomplished this by adding:

Code:
                    <item id="7">
                        <label>Kids</label>
                        <onclick>LoadProfile(Kids)</onclick>
                        <icon>special://skin/backgrounds/kids.jpg</icon>
                        <thumb>$INFO[Skin.String(Home_Custom_Back_Weather_Folder)]</thumb>
                    </item>

around line 795 in home.xml

the problem here is once I'm in the "kids" profile, the menu button i added is still there at the top above weather.

I'm just not sure how profiles work. I though it was going to create separate copies of the skin. Where each profile would have its own home.xml to edit. can any one shed some light on this for me or show me where to look for the answers.

Thanks in advance.
I dont think profiles are supported in atv2. ask in the support.. I did and did not get an answer so hopefully you will. let me know the answer if you get one.
I went through this excercise a while back as a POC, I think I just made a separate skin copy for the secondary profile which I edited to point back at master. The answer is in the forum somewhere, just can't be arsed to search on my mobile.
I would love to be able to run separate skins with independent home.xml's to edit. I can't figure out how to get independent home.xml's for each profile.

Don't know if I mentioned or not but I'm running on AppleTV generation 1 not the new one that recently came out.
itstonye Wrote:I would love to be able to run separate skins with independent home.xml's to edit. I can't figure out how to get independent home.xml's for each profile.

Don't know if I mentioned or not but I'm running on AppleTV generation 1 not the new one that recently came out.
I don't know ATV2, but theoritically each profile have their own settings, hence their own choice of skin. You can duplicate the default skin and edit it without affecting the original.

V.
each profile does not have their own home.xml I'm trying to create custom home menus for each profile but when i edit home.xml it affects all profiles. Can any one help.
Looks like we have gone down this path before.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76486

If you want to have the "same" skin for both profiles you have to make a copy and call it something different (presumably via addon.xml).
Then switch to the copy in one of the profiles. Then you have two home.xml to edit.