Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: DHCP troubles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
During installation of XBMC on my jump drive I was told there was a dhcp error. I chose the Do not configure at this time option, figuring I would mess with it later. Now I can't find where to edit any DHCP options. I want to enable a dhcp connection and select the appropriate wireless network.

I am using XBMC 10.0 r35648
in my system info it is reading:
Link: Not connected
Primary DNS: 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS: 208.67.222.222
Internet: Not connected. Check network settings.

The laptop that the usb (4gb cruzer) is interfacing with is an old Dell Latitude D510 (hard drive is dead but the wifi worked fine when the jump drive had an ubuntu on it.)

Sorry if this is something obvious, and it seems like something easy to find it's just not appearing like it looks like it should going by the wiki.
Ok, I've reasoned my way into thinking that I need to exit xbmc's gui, then try and set it up in the terminal outside. Is it possible that the wireless connection doesn't work out of the box?

ifconfig displays an eth0, eth1, and lo connection as normal.

If this is the case, will installing the normal ubuntu wireless driver fix this?

EDIT* erm, on second thought, not even sure how I'd go about doing that....I've been out of the linux game for too long. I also don't think I've ever had to mess with the wireless driver on this laptop, and if I did I just used the easy repository management software...

DOUBLE EDIT* following http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92704 I've discovered that my wireless detects my network just fine, now I probably just need to figure out how to make eth1 be my default internet connection, and then make it actually connect.... Feel free to jump in and make this last step easy on me haha.

TRIPLE EDIT* I used a combination of ifconfig ups and downs until eth1 seemed to be the only active connection. when I did a iwlist scan once eth1 was my active connection I no longer received scan results.
wireless does not work during installation.
eth0 will not be wless connection, it will be wlan0. You need to find a guide how to set it up.
Thank you! This should be fun.... I will post links/how I figured it out in the event that I do so.