Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Using lirc (for linux) with XBMC Win32?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering if it would be possible to control a Win32 box running XBMC with lirc running on another linux server, natively, without the help of EventGhost as the intermediary?

At the present it would be possible to do this w EventGhost using the lirc and xbmc plugins in tandem.

Also, is it even possible to control a linux version of XBMC with lirc running on another linux machine (ie not localhost)?

Thanks.
I don't think the Windows build includes LIRC support, and I don't think XBMC has an option to use LIRC with any address other than localhost. However it would be a very easy modification if you want to build it yourself.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:I don't think the Windows build includes LIRC support, and I don't think XBMC has an option to use LIRC with any address other than localhost. However it would be a very easy modification if you want to build it yourself.

JR

Thank you for your reply. This is also what I concluded after an hour or so of googling. It's great to get a dev's definitive opinion.

Would it be possible for you to add a patch for the ability to listen for lirc on different ip : port other than localhost? Is this something that could be easily be added to the settings of the Win32 build as well?

Perhaps this is an uncommon setup but I have lirc running on my server which is linux based. In the future, I would like to move my usb transmitter to my DD WRT based router. lirc is available as an optware package.

This setup allows an always on option for anyone connected to my network to use the IR.

Thanks for all of your great work.
If I'm correct (my view is not definitive since I don't know that bit of the code well) and the Windows build doesn't support LIRC then it wouldn't be a quick fix to include it. In any case it's outside the area of XBMC that I know.

JR
Bump. As this could be a great way to control Android devices without built in IR.