Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV 1] atv/linux sub forum possible?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Would there be any interest in creating a subforum for the atv linux crowd? Since the forum re-arrangement, post-ios version, I've found it harder to wade through all the non-relevant (to me) posts. I know that with the number of devices available now fragmentation of forums isn't necessarily a good thing but atv/linux is a specific enough hardware/software combo that it may deserve it's own walled garden.

Alternatively, it may be worth considering putting the atv/osx and atv/linux together again as many of the issues are relevant to both platforms. Also, I wouldn't have found out about the benefits of atv/linux had I not been reading the atv/osx forum.

No right answers, I know, but it may be worth considering.
thnmnt Wrote:Would there be any interest in creating a subforum for the atv linux crowd? Since the forum re-arrangement, post-ios version, I've found it harder to wade through all the non-relevant (to me) posts. I know that with the number of devices available now fragmentation of forums isn't necessarily a good thing but atv/linux is a specific enough hardware/software combo that it may deserve it's own walled garden.

Alternatively, it may be worth considering putting the atv/osx and atv/linux together again as many of the issues are relevant to both platforms. Also, I wouldn't have found out about the benefits of atv/linux had I not been reading the atv/osx forum.

No right answers, I know, but it may be worth considering.

I agree. I asked a similar thing right after atv-linux was put under the Linux section. It's just not clear to me if solutions for PC Linux boxes apple to the ATV1. If they do then of course this is the proper location. For example, there is a utility to make a bootable flash with XBMC Linux. I don't know if it works or not with an ATV1. Same goes for many addons. The ATV seems to have, as you pointed out, certain special aspects that make the Linux and OSX versions have a lot in common.

You should have a look at the openelec atv distribution which is now in RC1 state. It's really something.

philip
I also agree!!Nod
I guess it's up to the moderators at this point.
Agreed.
Bump.

Very disappointing how the appletv seems to have been left by the wayside. I know Sam is working hard on his appletv project and I await patiently for that but the shiny new toy is the atv2/ipad/iphone. Shame since they still can only output at 720p and my atv1 with chd can output at 1080p...
I've just been travelling in Thailand for a month. Since coming back I now have to go all over the place on the forum to find posts relating to the ATV1. As someone stumbling upon the finished reorganisation for the first time, I have to say that it's not exactly an improvement....

I totally agree that the device should go back to having it's own sub-forum.... it is a unique hardware platform and previous posters are correct that it has it's own special challenges that mean it does not exactly fit well with either Linux or OS X subforums.....

so +1 from me too!

Jim
I agree, it would be helpful to have an ATV/Linux/XBMC Live area. I know there are many many platforms but the little ATv is probably the most affordable little platform out there.

Super Kudos to Sam Nazarko for putting together the image that made me want to stick with XBMC. Linux made a world of difference in the stabilty and performance of the unit.
kick
+1 for a sub forum. Good call
Bump

OP said it all
"....atv/linux is a specific enough hardware/software combo that it may deserve it's own walled garden.

No right answers, I know, but it may be worth considering."

Should Sam's image come to fruition I imagine the volume of posts for this area will explode again.

Thanks!

Anyone listening?
sar_scarab Wrote:I agree, it would be helpful to have an ATV/Linux/XBMC Live area. I know there are many many platforms but the little ATv is probably the most affordable little platform out there.

Super Kudos to Sam Nazarko for putting together the image that made me want to stick with XBMC. Linux made a world of difference in the stabilty and performance of the unit.

Sam's image is great. Have a look at openelec, though the install is not as easy.

The problem I have now is finding any of these images, discussions, etc ... I seem to spend more time trying to find them then using them!

philip
pmcd Wrote:Sam's image is great. Have a look at openelec, though the install is not as easy.

The problem I have now is finding any of these images, discussions, etc ... I seem to spend more time trying to find them then using them!

philip

+1
Nod
bump

Sam has released his image
frumpy_uk Wrote:bump

Sam has released his image

Sorta.
Pages: 1 2