Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Some preliminary, fundamental, basic, precursory begginners noob questions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Laugh

A thousand apologies if any of these questions have been posted before. This is about my 2nd post here and all the information available seems OVERWHELMING.

Before I get to page 20 of several guides or howtos I really shouldn't be reading I would just like to explain my desired setup and situation.

1) I would like to accumulate as many FREE 24/7 streaming video channels as possible and

2) be able to flip through them with the push of one button, whether it be on my windows pc, an iphone or an apple tv.

I saw an addon/plugin somewhere here that would allow me to do #2 but cant seem to find it now. That brings me to my third goal which is

3) Find an easy, simple and straightforward way to find addons/plugins, without having to hunt through multiple forums on the 'net.

and lastly

4) have some way to be able to transfer all of my xbmc settings plugins/addons and other personalizations between devices such as a windows pc, iOS4 and apple tv.

If anyone could help me with any of this, that would be great. Smile
Hello,

I can't help you with 1, 2 or 4, but can with 3. In the Dharma version, the latest release, there is and "Add Ons" section, I believe in the System settings. This section will list all of the currently available addons that work with Dharma.

Mark
Are you allowed to bump threads here?
carrot_top Wrote:Are you allowed to bump threads here?

You just did :-)

XBMC can play most video streams, but it doesn't give you the same experience as a TV. To switch from one stream to another you need to stop the first stream then play the next (and wait for it to buffer). I can't think of any way to get the "channel changing" effect of a TV unless you were simultaneously downloading all the streams, which wouldn't do a lot for the speed of your Internet line.

XBMC can use a MySQL server to store the library, so you can have all your installations using a central library. In principle it should be easy to have all your different devices look identical. XBMC settings are stored in a few XML files, and you can copy these files between installations.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:You just did :-)

XBMC can play most video streams, but it doesn't give you the same experience as a TV. To switch from one stream to another you need to stop the first stream then play the next (and wait for it to buffer). I can't think of any way to get the "channel changing" effect of a TV unless you were simultaneously downloading all the streams, which wouldn't do a lot for the speed of your Internet line.

XBMC can use a MySQL server to store the library, so you can have all your installations using a central library. In principle it should be easy to have all your different devices look identical. XBMC settings are stored in a few XML files, and you can copy these files between installations.

JR

I was thinking of something like this script http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ight=wwitv combined with something like this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...el+surfing or this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...el+surfing

Would that work? I'm guessing it wouldn't, but can you imagine what a surfing experience that would create? Even with the buffering.
jhsrennie Wrote:You just did :-)

JR

Is there any guide or howto for this? I'm not very good at programming or script editing.
mwkurt Wrote:Hello,

I can't help you with 1, 2 or 4, but can with 3. In the Dharma version, the latest release, there is and "Add Ons" section, I believe in the System settings. This section will list all of the currently available addons that work with Dharma.

Mark

Sorry, forgot to say thanks.
carrot_top Wrote:Is there any guide or howto for this? I'm not very good at programming or script editing.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70603 is a good place to start.

JR
Bluecops Video Addon Repository = HULU, CBS, Daily Show, Colbert Report and many others.

Icefilms.info Has just about any show/movie you can imagine. This content is a little sketchy leagaly, depending on where you live. Its a great addon as long as you have a ISP that doesn't monitor your downloads.

Nixa's Repository Has a bunch of great content for kids. Nickelodion, Nick Jr, NickToons, Sesame Street, Kids WB and more.

Find the shows you want inside the plugins. Highlight a show and press C to bring up the context menu. Add the show to your favorites. Once you have all of your shows saved as favorites then go to fav's on the main menu and choose your show. It will jump you to the correct location in the addon. This makes it really easy to use the addons. Also you can highlight a favorite from the fav menu and press C to bring up the options to move them up or down in the list and you can organize them however you like.

Hope this helps