Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Official Addons for Linux to fix configuration settings for audio and video on HTPCs.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone ever made a "Revo 1600 audio and video configuration" Addon?
I know there are a lot of different models of HTPCs in use out there, but there are also quite a number of us that are using Revos, Foxconns and Asrock based HTPCs.
It seems like it would make sense that "Configuration Addons" be available for some of the more popular models.
Anything from filling in audio settings in .asoundrc to fixing 24p settings on IONs and setting up auto-logins on broken LIVE setups.
Obviously the addons would need to check the version of Linux running and the XBMC version, and then create a backup that can be restored.
It seems like most of the issues here on the Linux support page could be resolved with the same vanilla fixes "add this line to there, make sure there is a check in that box".

Has this been discussed and rejected before?

I just can't figure out why I haven't seen a "WiFi Setup Wizard" in the addons yet (obviously assuming the hardware is currently supported in the current LIVE distro). I started to write one for my Foxconn 350NT but my Python skills suck (the configuration part was easy). It seems like a trivial task for a skilled Python coder, but if not, isn't this the place for matching up a skilled Python coder and a Linux config guru.Huh
I would be scheptical of any addon that modified/created important sytem files. Maybe check out this site if you are having problems. XBMC Boxes
I agree, but if they were vetted by the community first, and added to the official repo, it wouldn't be any more dangerous then my wife trying to make changes via ssh and nano.
The description could also describe just what was being changed, so the newbies would get an idea of what was going on.
The boxes I was taking about have static hardware, the addons could be locked to the correct xbmc live version.
I was just thinking it would solve a lot of the issues I see here.
But then you would have to worry about people running said addons on hardware other than the Revo's and what not. I know the addon would likely have a description that would state to not use it on any other hardware but unfortunately some users would see it and go "Oh, I want my system to do that too" and just run it. I agree, it would be nice in a perfect world but it would be dangerous.

Trust me, I work on an IT helpdesk and you would not believe some of the stupid stuff I've seen people do.
I don't think there are any rules against such a script really and so far if a script have touched system files we have enforced lots of checks in the script to minimize errors. Generally though I would personally have wanted to see that the scripts in the official repo are all safe and perfectly sandboxed to XBMC, these kinds of scripts aren't really (IMO) good to have in an official repo. This mostly because I don't think the maintainers and the team should have to keep track of vendor specific patches and workarounds. If the workarounds are HTPC general they should probably be added into XBMC Live / OpenELEC.tv instead of being a script.

MacGyver Wrote:I just can't figure out why I haven't seen a "WiFi Setup Wizard" in the addons yet (obviously assuming the hardware is currently supported in the current LIVE distro). I started to write one for my Foxconn 350NT but my Python skills suck (the configuration part was easy). It seems like a trivial task for a skilled Python coder, but if not, isn't this the place for matching up a skilled Python coder and a Linux config guru.Huh

Not trivial to make the GUI for it generally, and its not trivial to get the sandboxed python to interact with the outside libraries. xbmc python != system python.

Here is my work on the subject though, it really should be addonified though. http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7248
Quote:I just can't figure out why I haven't seen a "WiFi Setup Wizard" in the addons
I made an attempt, it is working fine.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90410

but coding wise it is not very elegant.
Quote:xbmc python != system python.
The problem is lack of dbus support.
It does work though and you are welcome to test!
Quote:Has anyone ever made a "Revo 1600 audio and video configuration" Addon?

I have considered this, not for revo since I dont have one.
It is indeed very hard to make it 100% safe when you edit system files, since you dont know if someone have messed with it before hand.

I have already made one that removes "nodiskmount" from grub and I have considered
1) ION 330HT remote installation
2) disable ipv6 in grub
3) Samba share
topfs2 Wrote:I don't think there are any rules against such a script really and so far if a script have touched system files we have enforced lots of checks in the script to minimize errors. Generally though I would personally have wanted to see that the scripts in the official repo are all safe and perfectly sandboxed to XBMC, these kinds of scripts aren't really (IMO) good to have in an official repo.the GUI for it generally, and its not trivial to get the sandboxed

Seeing what appears to be every other thread in the Linux/Live forum about sound not working I think we really need something built into the system. Is the issue partly caused by navigation sounds using a different system resources than the video? How about at least a "Test My Sound Settings" in the audio setup so that when we make changes they can be instantly checked? Enhanced version would write an asound.conf file to the users home folder with the proper settings so that you're not writing system files. I don't think there's as many problems with sound on the Windows side.
Dobyken Wrote:Seeing what appears to be every other thread in the Linux/Live forum about sound not working I think we really need something built into the system. Is the issue partly caused by navigation sounds using a different system resources than the video? How about at least a "Test My Sound Settings" in the audio setup so that when we make changes they can be instantly checked? Enhanced version would write an asound.conf file to the users home folder with the proper settings so that you're not writing system files. I don't think there's as many problems with sound on the Windows side.

Well audio is being fixed with the new audio engine, which will redirect the gui sounds to the proper sink.

Test my sound settings is still a valid feature though, please add it as a feature suggestion ticket. Please explain everything you would want from said feature and if possible link to ideas about how it should look and behave (other apps how they do it etc.)
Hey Dobyken, if you add the request, could you put in for a test of ALL possible audio streams, 48k, mono, stereo, etc. I mean all of them. Numerous times I get all happy because I thought I had my audio working, only to realize that mono non 48k streams were still not working. Usually after I was in bed trying to watch something. Smile
MacGyver Wrote:Hey Dobyken, if you add the request, could you put in for a test of ALL possible audio streams, 48k, mono, stereo, etc. I mean all of them. Numerous times I get all happy because I thought I had my audio working, only to realize that mono non 48k streams were still not working. Usually after I was in bed trying to watch something. Smile

I'm a retired VB programmer and used to design apps so I'm sure I'll go overboard on this task. http://forum.xbmc.org/images/smilies2/nerd6bs.gif I'm not an audio expert but I'm sure other users will chime in on any omissions of my draft spec.