Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Linux] "Unable to find path to XBMC data files!" after upgrading xbmc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I've recently upgraded xbmc from the team xbmc ppa on ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) and I'm now getting the error "Unable to find path to XBMC data files!" when starting xbmc.
I tried removing/reinstalling xbmc to no avail.
The installed version of both xbmc and xbmc-data is 2:10.00~svn35648-karmic1

Any suggestions? Any more info required?
nuclrwastd Wrote:Hi. I've recently upgraded xbmc from the team xbmc ppa on ubuntu 9.10 (karmic) and I'm now getting the error "Unable to find path to XBMC data files!" when starting xbmc.
I tried removing/reinstalling xbmc to no avail.
The installed version of both xbmc and xbmc-data is 2:10.00~svn35648-karmic1

Any suggestions? Any more info required?

What are the steps to recreate the problem?

How did you "upgrade"?
I upgraded using the apt system. `apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade` reported that the package xbmc was being held back. I issued `apt-get install xbmc` and apt happily upgraded the package and it's dependencies.

To 'recreate' the problem, I simply run `xbmc` from bash and the problem is recreated every attempt. Like I said, I've completely removed all related packages and reinstalled them (using apt and the team xbmc ppa) using the directions here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide

Any idea where xbmc looks for it's data files? How do I find out where xbmc-data is placing it's files?
I should add, this system is running x86_64 architecture.
Tried removing packages and using a different ppa. This time ppa:lars-opdenkamp/xbmc-pvr, and I get still the same error message with more:
bryan@htpc:~$ xbmc
Unable to find path to XBMC data files!
CRITSEC[0x1251268]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x1251268]: Trying to leave destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x1259548]: Trying to enter destroyed section.
CRITSEC[0x1259548]: Trying to leave destroyed section.

The version for this set of packages is 2:10.5-dharma+pvr~odk48+karmic
Fixed by upgrading ubuntu. Don't know what was wrong.