Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Audio Output Very Low
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I have searched for an answer and I will keep looking, but I figured I'd ask anyway so that I don't lose a few days in between...

Ever since I upgraded to XBMC Live 9.04 to 10.0, the audio output of my HTPC is very soft.

Normal TV channel volume is around 20. To make voices decipherable while watching anything on my HTPC it needs to be up around 70! It's not that much of a pain because it's really not difficult to use the remote control to turn the volume up, but it does cause problems when you decide you want to watch some normal TV, change video sources and get your head blown off!

For the record I don't believe this is an XBMC specific issue, but something that can be fixed in the stripped out Linux running underneath. Must be a setting somewhere...

Thanks for any pointers or links.

Regards,

- Matt
Change the volume in xbmc. I'll assume your using a remote so I'll post the instructions for that.

Start a movie
Press Menu
Go to the audio menu
Increase the volume
Save as default for all movies
Confirm the change and enjoy your new volume level.
I already have it set at 0.0dB (which is the maximum) and saved as the default. It obviously can't go higher than that (within XBMC of course).

I might ask over at the Ubuntu forums and see if it's an OS level issue.
Have you checked the Alsa mixer to make sure all of the levels are at 100%? What about your pulseaudio settings?
is there a way to do that in a text file? my xbmc box has only xbmc and remote left really, so settings are a ssh and backend job
Have you setup your speaker configuration in the audio settings? I am guessing it is 2.0, if so, then what is occuring is de-amplification due to downmixing to 2.0, this is impossible to avoid without risking clipping of the audio, turning on Boost in the settings will bypass normalization, at the risk of reduced quality on loud noises.
I'll check all the audio settings within XBMC again as recommended here, but failing that I will then fiddle about with ALSA etc...something I've never had to do before but I doubt it'll be difficult. It is down sampling to 2.0 because I'm running it through the TV speakers (no high end auido here No)
graylion Wrote:is there a way to do that in a text file? my xbmc box has only xbmc and remote left really, so settings are a ssh and backend job

Yeah, you can start alsamixer from command line. Just ssh and type it in and bump everything up to see if that helps.