Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: (Probably) simple question regarding .mkv's/.m4v's...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In order to get this answered as quickly as possible let me just say I did my homework before asking, even though I'm technically a n00b when it comes to XBMC I didn't want to make any typical annoying n00b mistakes...

While giving all the information required by those running this forum laid out by user davilla here, my list is as follows: OSX version 10.6.4, Macbook Pro Mid '09 2.53 GHz model, .dmg install, SVN Revision number: XBMC 10.0 r35648, debug log via pastebin.com here

GUI problems are that I can't skip forward or backwards via chapters in my 1080p .mkv encodes of my blu-ray rips. Using Aeon MQ2 skin (pretty awesome)

So that's pretty much a item-by-item listing exactly how davilla had it spelled out on there, I don't know if that makes me look like a brown nosing tool but I'm just trying not to waste anyone's time on here.

My question is I have these encoded (via Handbrake) blu-ray rips made into .mkv files for playing on my WDTV G2. I recently saw the light and am trying to make the transition over to the smooth interface of XBMC but I'm running into some snags. Mainly here's the first one: my .mkv files, even though in Handbrake I checked (make chapter markers) so I could skip forward if I needed to, don't skip forwards or backwards. Is this just because they are .MKV's? I heard somewhere on some other forum (like I said, I've been looking around a lot) that .mp4's (or .m4v's, same thing) have this functionality when played in XBMC.

I'm currently doing a two-chapter encode of my blu-ray rip of "Wedding Crashers" to find out, but whatever conclusion I arrive at I just want to know: Is it a difference between those two file types that leads to this kind of rift in functionality?

Sorry if I ran on, I minor in English so that might have something to do with it; plus I'm just trying to give all the information possible so I can put this question I have to rest, not look like a pretentious d-bag.

Thanks a lot,

Grant
Okay, this is getting ridiculous. I'm just trying to get THE FUNCTIONALITY OF PLAYING A FRIGGIN' FILE out of XBMC and it can't even do that. My .mkv files encoded with Handbrake (WITH chapter markers option selected) don't SKIP chapters, they just take me to the source of the file. I searched the forums, and the most I could find out was that for some reason other people are having trouble with this too!!

Examples:

Like in this thread and this thread

I'm trying not to let this transition to XBMC drive me crazy but c'mon, you guys gotta throw me a bone here
The files play fine, right?

What are you using to skip (remote, keyboard, OSD?)? It sounds like you're using the "Next Video/Prev Video" actions? Tried the Big Skip +/- actions?

A debug log while you play a video and then attempt to skip will probably be informative.

Cheers,
Jonathan
I'll post a debug log immediately, however I don't know how to "reset" the debug log, so it just shows what I've recently done and not my whole history of messing around with the program. A little help on how to do this please.

For now I'm just playing it on my macbook pro, I usually have an Aeon MQ2 skin but for testing purposes I'm using the default skin confluence because it's the only one that's responsive when I press the video controls during playback with my mouse(or trackpad, if you will). This is where I get into trouble, the .mkv file will play, pause, fast forward/rewind up to 32X, but when I press next (I'm assuming it means next chapter) it just takes me back to the menu.

I'm unfamiliar with the "big buttons" you referred to, I'm going to go check them out now
Um, update: I tried pressing the -/+ buttons during playback and even during fast forward and it only increases/decreases the volume
Does XBMC tell you the chapter number in the Video info?

Try hitting RIGHT on your keyboard during video playback.
I hit the right button during playback, and by looking at the info pane in the lower right hand corner it's only skipping playback forward a minute at a time

And no I don't see chapter information anywhere in the information during playback... :/
And scratch that I don't even think it's a minute at a time during playback it skips, more like 30 seconds at a time the more closely I look at it
And I'm looking on how to get you that log; can I just go to ~/library/logs/xbmc.log, delete it, then run XBMC again and it'll just show the log for that session, or....?
grantwolsey Wrote:And I'm looking on how to get you that log; can I just go to ~/library/logs/xbmc.log, delete it, then run XBMC again and it'll just show the log for that session, or....?

xbmc will create a new xbmc.log each time it runs, and move the old to xbmc.old.log.
Tried pressing UP instead? I can never remember which one is Big Skip :p
Yeah up is big step, which should skip chapters if they exist.

mediainfo will show chapter information as well. Try it on one of your files and post that. It'll look something like this if it exists. If it's not there I'd blame handbrake. This is one from a handbrake mkv dvd rip.
Code:
Menu
00:00:00.000                     : Chapter  1
00:07:23.676                     : Chapter  2
00:13:01.180                     : Chapter  3
00:23:39.317                     : Chapter  4
00:33:41.719                     : Chapter  5
00:38:10.855                     : Chapter  6
00:40:47.511                     : Chapter  7
00:46:33.190                     : Chapter  8
00:52:37.053                     : Chapter  9
00:54:50.687                     : Chapter 10
01:03:24.367                     : Chapter 11
01:05:19.548                     : Chapter 12
01:09:26.896                     : Chapter 13
01:11:23.679                     : Chapter 14
01:17:37.886                     : Chapter 15
01:22:50.865                     : Chapter 16
01:26:34.923                     : Chapter 17
01:28:02.810                     : Chapter 18
Thanks a lot; I was wondering if something like that was the case.

-I loaded my .264 Handbrake encoded .mkv blu-ray rip of Wedding Crashers in the default confluence setting, tried to press skip forward and as I anticipated was shot back to the source of my videos.

here is the log via pastebin

Thanks
A couple of developments, I guess:

I followed jmarshall's lead and pressed the "up" button during playback, kudos.. it skipped forward 10 minutes at a time per press!! I guess the reason why this is so good for me is that it duplicates the same functionality that I have on my WDTV where on the remote you press >>| during a fast forward and it automatically shoots you 10 minutes ahead in playback, so, a huge "awesome" goes out to that.

Thanks!

Only other thing...then I can shelve the "playback" issue of my transition over to XBMC, is lag that sometimes occurs during my 1080p .mkv file playback. I found a couple other places in these forums where users have this issue: here, here and here are just a few examples.

Should I look into the "CrystalHD on USB stick" solution as laid out on the second page of the first thread I linked to above? Even the most recent threads on this specific issue was almost a year ago and I'm presuming a much more elegant solution has been found out, seeing all the ongoing development that's going on in this amazing project.

Oh, and my debug log of the lag during playback instance is here

Thanks
Okay after more searching around, I found out that "USB stick method" probably doesn't even apply to my situation on my macbook pro as it was more geared towards an AppleTV scenario.

I've also come across other threads where posters get reamed for duplicating questions or "thread-jacking", so I'd like to keep my Q&A on my "playback issue phase" of my transition over to XBMC. I want to be able to rest assured that XBMC is a better choice over the WDTV that I'm coming from to play my HD files. I already have the "chapter skipping" issue resolved thanks to your guys' awesome help now I just need to know how I get rid of this "lagging issue" on a mac. I thought with all the praises being sung to the new Aeon MQ2 skin it would mean among other things smooth playback of 1080p files, but I guess not :/

Please help me out guys...um, or guys/girls...more-than-willing XBMC convert and enthusiast waiting
Pages: 1 2